Rhinestone Question....

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by danceislove, Aug 15, 2006.

1. danceislove

danceislove New Member

Okay, I am going to try stoning a dress my self for the first time...yikes :shock:
    Have a few questions.....
    1. Which is the best: flat back, hot fix, or sew on?
    2. I know it varies on the design, but approx how many stones do you need for a dress?
    3. What is the rule of thumb for size? The bigger, the more sparkle?
    4. Any advice? :D

2. Laura

Laura New Member

People generally only use sew-on for very large stones. As far as flat back or hot fix (which are also flat back), it depends. Some people, Larinda for instance, really like the flat back. Other people, like me for instance, prefer the plain stones (flat back). It all depends on how agile you are with the hot fix tool, and what kind of personal stoning technique you develop. It's best to try them both and see which you like better.

20-60 gross. (So that's 2880-8640 stones.) Or more!

Many people use 16ss stones these days. The facets give a lot of sparkle, but they have a somewhat more refined look than the larger stones. 20ss stones are also extremely popular.

Don't buy your stones from a local craft store, you will get totally reamed on the price. Order them by the "pack" (a pack is 10 gross -- that's 1440 -- stones) from various places on the Internet that we have tried, such as eJoyce.com, rhinestonz.com, chrisanne.com, and rhinestoneguy.com .

3. danceislove

danceislove New Member

:kissme:
    thank you SO much for your advice!!!

so there are 2 kinds of flat backs? hot-fix, meaning they are iron on with adhesive already on them and plain flat back, meaning that they have no adhesive and you apply them with gem glue. correct?
    so it's just a personal preferance on how you like to apply them? one does not affix stronger than the other etc..?
    As for your est on how many gross stones...was that for a smooth or latin dress :D i have not looked at them in person, but i believe i am torn between the 16ss and 20ss...
    I found stones on danceshopper.com, but have not priced around yet.
    have you stoned a dress yourself? i am excited! i think it would be really fun!
    i'm not getting myself into something extraordinarilly difficult am i? :confused:

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Correct.

The Hot Fix, when properly applied, will probably stay on better than the glued-on ones. However, in my personal experience, the glued-on ones go on so much faster that it's not a big deal to me to replace a half-dozen stones every time I wear the dress.

Either. Latin dresses may be tiny, but they seem to make up for it by using more stones :)

I've made and stoned a number of dresse over the years. It's fun, in a crafty kind of way. I like to put on old movies that have lots of dialog to listen to while I work -- like old black and white movies from the 1930's and 1940's. I don't find stoning to be difficult at all, you just have to be fearless and adaptible.

5. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

Great answers, Laura. I like talking about rhinestoning, so I'm going to respond with my answers, as well :)

I prefer regular flat back, which I glue on with either E-6000 (stronger but messier) or Gem-Tac (kinda sticky and weaker but easy to apply).

20-60 gross or more is not at all uncommon, but probably a little much for your first time. I used about 8-9 gross on my first dress, which was a pink little latin number. It looked really nice and I sold it for a good price, too. So you may want to start small, and if you need more stones, you can always buy more.

I've used some 30ss in conjunction with lots of 20ss and 16ss which looked nice, but to me, it looks a little gaudy if you only use big stones. I see most dresses being stoned with 20ss.

There isn't that much difference between 16ss and 20ss, but you have to keep in mind that the smaller the stone, the harder it will be to work with.

Yes, I have stoned several of my own dresses, as well as some for other ladies. It's really not as difficult as it looks - Intricate, yes, but not terribly difficult. In my experience it has been VERY rewarding, fun, and there is nothing better than watching your own creation hit the dance floor and sparkle all over the place.

Good luck, have fun! Let us know if you have any more questions.

slhull.13 likes this.
  6. mummsie

mummsie Member

I usually use 20's for the main but I feel you get better depth of colours if you use a whole range of sizes. I usually buy a dozen or so really big ones that I place carefully for best effect and sew them on. Then I work out from there. Make sure you get the best grade of stone you can afford. You can really tell the difference on the floor.
    Once you start gluing you sort of get into a rythem and doesn't take very long at all. I always use Gem Tac these days. I dot the dress with the glue and then using something like a chop stick (I use the disposable ones) with a blob of blu tac or bees wax on the end, you can pick the stones up easily and then I use something like a pencil to push the stone off the blob. This way, I can easily glue a gross in a very short time. Just remember if you are doing sleeves or parts that are only one thickness to put something under it so you don't stick the wrong bits together. For sleeves I usually roll up a small towel and stuff it down. Also keeps it firmer to make it easier to stone. Gayle

7. Musique

Musique New Member

Could any of you experienced stoners post a short tutorial video demonstrating how you work? It will be very helpful to rookies like me. I just ordered a pack of stones for my latin dress, my first stoning project.

btw, I searched the forum and checked all the stores you gals mentioned. To my surprise, the best price is found on www .danceshopper.com . Hope this piece of info is useful for someone who plans to buy stones recently.

8. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

The flat-back are easier to swallow.

9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

And probably a little less painful on the way out ;)

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I bought 10 gross Czekh Preciosa Crystal AB stones from the Rhinestoneguy, they came out cheaper than Swarovski, but look just as good IMO. Also, one interesting bit - on his website he mentions that Preciosa looks better from the distance and Swarovski looks better up close. Well, the purpose of the ballroom dress is to look good from the distance, so Preciosa should be OK. For my secondary colors I had to go with 1 gross of Swarovski and 1 gross of Preciosa (because one of my color choices did not exist in Preciosa 20ss), and they mix perfectly with Crystall AB. By now I forgot which secondary color was which brand and I cannot tell from the look of the stones.

11. Musique

Musique New Member

Has anyone used the applicator tools, like BeJewelers from creative-crystal.com, for hot fix stones? I saw it's informatial, it seemed fast and easy. I wonder if anyone has tried it on costumes, and if it's faster than glue on.

12. danceislove

danceislove New Member

i don't have any experiance stoning *yet* but i was told that hot fix may stay on better than glue on, but that hot fix also takes much longer to apply to the dress. fyi. you will have to let us know how your dress turns out!! i am also planning my first stoning experiment :D and i'm so excitited!

13. Laura

Laura New Member

I have a BeJeweler, and don't like using it. I stoned a costume with it and thought it was slow, and that the hot fix glue was stringy.

However, I know someone who uses a different brand of tool, I think it's called the Candy Cane or Candy Stick or something like that (it's a bright pink hot fix rhinestone tool) who says it heats up faster and maintains the temperature more consistently than the BeJeweler, and therefore works better and faster. I haven't tried it myself, though.

14. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

I have the RhinestoneGuy's sample card (every stone from both Preciosa and Swarovski) and everyone, ballroom and "muggle", agrees that from more than three/four feet, the stones are indistinguishable. The biggest difference I see is the variation between the two brand's Aurora Borealis coating. Swarovski's is much more intense, where Preciosa is more subdued. Keep that in mind when designing the dress - do you want the color or the sparkle more? But in terms of standard colored stones, they're pretty much even.

15. danceislove

danceislove New Member

HAHAHAH!! I love that you refer to them as muggles! That is hilarious :D
    Question: As far as AB stones go, which would you say has the most sparkle? Swarovski or Preciosa?? Is the price difference between the two that drastic that it would matter which you use?

16. alemana

alemana New Member

*video tutorials*

how useful would THAT be for this site?!

17. Laura

Laura New Member

I like the Preciosa. They used to be not as well-made as the Swarovski, but that was five years ago and the quality has improved. I used to get chipped or broken stones, or stones with metal fringy bits hanging off the flat backs, but not in the past couple of years. For me, now the driving factor is price and availability. Sometimes the Preciosas can be more expensive than the Swarovski!

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The last (10gr) set of Swarovski ABs my partner and I used on a dress had 3 "dud" stones, so Swarovski ain't perfect either.

19. clearlycrystals

clearlycrystals New Member

Swarovski duds

Yes, As a Swarovski wholesaler we have seen a few duds in the packs. You may get from 1-3 duds or even a crystal or two of a different color and size. We've opened many and on average we've had about 5 packs per 100 that had duds mentioned above. Overall though they're pretty good. If for some reason you get a dud or two, try emailing your supplier and letting him/her know about it...I'm sure they will send you a few to replace if you purchase in large quantities.

Kind Regards,
    Clearly Crystals

20. clearlycrystals

clearlycrystals New Member

Glues

Oh btw,

For those using the regular flatbacks
    regarding gem tac and e6000

gem-tac glue is much easier to apply, smells better (think of elmers :)!) and they even have a packaged glue with a rhinestone tip applicator. It's a long thin tip at the top of the bottle. It's made as a fabric glue so it does have some durablity and we even use it for cell phone/lighter studding.

e6000 glue is a bit gunkier but stronger. three things to note.
    1. It does have an odor (some people do get nautious with it)
    2. It's a lot harder to work with for the first time applicators....short working time and a lot more messier
    3. Since we're in the state of California everything has to be disclaimed and this glue does have a chemical known to cause cancer. So if you do use it please wear latex gloves. We actually had a client upset at us not disclosing at the time we sold it.

lol we have one client right now studding their car with the e6000.

Kind Regards,
    Clearly Crystals