Rihanna's Pon de Replay - What style is it?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by karel_evzen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

Hi all, I'm new here and I hope, that this tread isn't violating some rule or something, I just wanted to ask one question and don't have time to read all the "tips" for a good thread. I'm sorry if something is wrong :(

Ok, here's the question: Do you know "Pon de Replay" by Rihanna? I'm cruel about that song because i think it's samba, or samba can be danced to it, but a mate of my, actually my dance teacher, thinks not... Sou what's your opinion? Thanks for replays ;)
  2. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Can you give us a link or website by name to listen to the track ?
  3. saludas

saludas New Member

this is Reggaeton.
  4. alemana

alemana New Member

seen lots of samba to it. it's reggaeton/dancehall-lite, formally, but ballroom folks have picked it up to samba.
  5. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

I have it only as a mp3 file, but I'm affraid it is illegal to put a link for download :mad:, so I might only suggest iTunes, where you can listen to a 30 sec demo of this song. :roll: If the song is present there, of course... Or try :google:

(btw: these smilies are such fun! )
  6. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

thanks for the reply ;)
    If I get it right, you say it is possible to dance samba to it or there is a remixed/fastened/slowed version of this song that is for samba better?
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

They played it as a samba, ad nauseum, at the Hotlanta competition last October.
  8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've always heard it as a samba. My teacher heard a quickstep right off, and we use it as as such for lessons. It takes a bit of re-aligning the brain, I've found, but after that I love it as a QS.

Don't know squat about reggaeton.
  9. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

oh, I was afraid of that... someone told me too... ehm, stupid question, is reggaeton a standalone style, or is it somewhat more a patch work from other dances/styles?
  10. saludas

saludas New Member

All music is evoled... Reggaeton is a cross between hip hip and rap and dominican merengue...
  11. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

Quickstep? Genious!

I've heard ballroom-remixes with bring out the samba beat - it's somewhat hidden in the original version, but do-able.
  12. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

hey quys, thanks for your opinions, I think I may close this thread by considering this song as not clear samba, but samba dance-able, do you agree? :rolleyes:
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't know about the original or ballroom mixes.

The version I have (from iTunes) is listed as "Pon de Replay (Radio Edit)." It runs 3:36.
  14. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

ya its defiantly a samba!
    ~iluvballroom~
  15. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It's a samba, but I personally don't like it for samba, it's got no heavy downbeat. I'll take reggaeton for samba any day, it's got very intense downbeat that makes you bounce.

T_E
  16. karel_evzen

karel_evzen New Member

don't you think it's too slow for samba? (not my opinion, I feel quite comfortable dancing samba on this song....)
  17. dancing_princess

dancing_princess New Member

Technically, the song is more of a dancehall (faster, club version of reggae)/Hip hop beat. Not reggaeton - reggaeton is a Latin reggae/hip hip/rap fusion.

I wouldn't dance a samba to it - the beat is all wrong. I''d dance hip hop or dancehall.
  18. Egoist

Egoist Member

Reggaeton is not a dance but a type of music. I would say it is a blend of hip hop and raggae. I find it hard to believe there is anything of merengue in it. I believe it was originated in Puerto Rico and, back then, was known as "Underground". The beat is quite danceable so I'm sure eventually there will be a "raggaeton dance" as there is now a "hip hop dance".

Edit: I just listened to the song and it definitely is NOT a raggaeton. I know because I like this song and I HATE raggaeton. Seriously, raggaeton has a sound quality (or lack of quality, to be more precise), that is very distinctive, although lately they've been trying to mainstream it and make it more palatable.
  19. devane

devane New Member

I agree. I know no reggaeton song like this. The production value of Reggaeton except for Luny Tunes (who produce all the big hits) is usually something like what you'd get free with a casio keyboard.
    This song is a Dancehall/Hip Hop hybrid. She is from Barbados so her R&B songs have a tropical flavour to it.
    The version with Elephant Man is the best!

And yes Reggaeton is at a turning point now. We have a Hybrid Reggaeton "Bachateo" (Reggaeton Con Bachata) which is way nicer than the usual stuff you hear.
    Also artists have signed to American Hip Hop labels (Puff Daddy's), meaning more expensive production and hopefully some quality control. 2 Hip Hop Artists are releasing Reggaeton cds this summer, Pitbull & Noreaga.