rule reminders for USA Dance syllabus & Pre-Teen dancers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Well, the whole costume thing is one (of many) reasons why DH and I don't compete. Frankly, I think many of them are downright unattractive. I remember a post from way back where someone said she didn't "get" it at first, but then started to love it. I haven't reached that cross-over point, and I doubt I ever will. Yes, I have seen a few dresses I like, but they tend to resemble nice cocktail/evening dresses.

Just my opinion ....

By the way, the MAJOR reason we don't compete is I hate to be sitting down when music is playing ... and a whole day of danceable music with 3 minutes of actual dancing is not much fun.

2. Laura

Laura New Member

I've done both, and I must say that both are really interesting and fun in their own way, and can say constructive things about both. This could actually be an interesting thread if someone wants to start it :)

3. Laura

Laura New Member

That's definitely how I feel when it comes to Latin & Rhythm costumes! For Standard/Smooth I'm okay with a bit more silliness...but I've seen some god-awful Standard/Smooth costumes too.

4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

During my last year of school, our school switched from using uniforms to having a dress code. The dress code for girls was dark-colored skirt and light-colored top + some other restrictions (like no minis). My friend made a bet (and won it) that she will wear an outfit which will follow the dress code rules to the letter but still get reprimanded for it.

I guess you can do same thing with syllabus costumes. You can have an outfit which follows the rules to a T, but still you can't really wear it to a party. I have an unstoned smooth/standard dress I am trying to sell, it is simple and while I myself wouldn't compete in it, since I do pro-am and it would look out of place there, I don't think I would really want to wear it anywhere besides an event which involves some sort of dancing.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If someone could start a thread about collegiate, I'd be interested. I was surprised when I heard of it that you can enter college events if you're not in college. In IHSA you could only ride for a team if you were actively enrolled at the university you rode for. (Of course it's also kinda a team event--you got individual ribbons for classes, but there was an overall point total. I rode low-level eq classes but I was there to rack up points for the team award, basically.)

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I can only say I feel lucky I dance open level, feel bad for syllabus dancers, poor syllabus ladies can't even use floats, glitters, rhinestones? I love floats, glitters, oh they missed so much fun:( If I'm syllabus, I would use this as "incentive" to work harder to improve to open level asap, the sooner I get out of syllabus, the sooner I can wear dresses with floats and have fun:)

7. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

A collegiate comp thread would be interesting.... I hesitate to start one now though since not everyone is back on campus yet. I too didn't realize that any amateur could compete at collegiate comps, and did not have to belong to a team (student/alum/affiliate or otherwise). I would have done it a lot sooner had I known that. I was still in college at the time, but was not a member of its team, such as it was.

While I agree that sparklies and floaties can be incentive to move up in the ranks, at the same time they can look utterly ridiculous on a newbie or Bronzer who dances badly. From what I have observed over the years, it's the dancers in simple attire who dance cleanly and consistently who make finals.

8. Standarddancer

I think these set of dress rules help these practice wear companies such as Chrisanne and Espen sell their expensive practice wear cost at least $200 each since most of these practice wears are "legal";) newbies want to look nice for comps and these nicely designed outfits are very classy and without stones.

now I know why so many overpriced practice wear online;)

9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Solution: dance a bajillion heats like fascination. Then you'll be happy to have 3 minutes to sit down. ;)

10. Laura

Laura New Member

Since each college comp can make its own rules, it's always good to check, but every college comp that I've come into contact with allows and encourages outside couples to participate.

I totally agree. It is very possible to be wearing "too much dress" for one's dancing.

11. TAK

TAK Member

Yes, I forgot to mention that knowing I'll be able to wear costumes in the open levels has been incentive to move upward, too. :)

Well, it depends on the newbie and the college team...my experience is that people don't usually invest in practicewear until gold level or MAYBE silver. For bronze Latin followers, in particular, some teams (especially larger teams--I can think of one in this area ;)) have a whole bank of simple brightly-colored dresses with short skirts...the result being that in a lot of bronze heats, half of the couples are dressed exactly the same and doing the same choreography, like a formation team...it can get a little silly :p

12. I agree that most of the collegiate teams that I've seen (mid NE coast) don't bother to spend $ on practicewear and our team is GUILTY of dressing ppl similarly for comps (we have a set of red S/S skirts), especially where costumes aren't allowed. We tell our couples not to stand next to each other during heats but they have to stink it up if they all make it to finals =P

For collegiate comps where costumes are not allowed, for latin/rhythm there's a lot of Forever21 and cocktail dresses on the floor, with a teenytiny sprinkling of followers who have fringe dresses or unstoned latin style dresses.

13. Standarddancer

oh that's not good to dress exactly the same as your competitors:( well if the newbies have limited financial resource, guess that's the way to go, but nice practice wear are like a few hundred bucks, probably still affortable for a students who work part-time and living at home:) if costumes not allowed for syllabus, then I think it's worthy the $$$ for at least one set of nice practice outfit.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Not all college students live at home...I know that when I was in college I could have never afforded anything that expensive. Heck, I've given (slightly) used dance shoes to college students who were delighted to have them because even buying shoes really can stretch a student's budget.

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

When I was in college, I was living on my own and working full time at a very low paying job. So yeah, a couple hundred on a practice outfit? No way!

16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I've seen some of the shoes the college students are trying to wear as long as possible due to budget concerns....they're pretty much taped together!

17. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Free shoes? That sounds almost as good as free food! (Ok it sounds better but I don't want to admit I'm that addicted to dancing)