Running Finish (Quickstep) Timing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chr0n, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Hello fellow dance-sporters!

I am currently working on putting the correct technique (footwork, timing, directions, etc.) in our routine.

Now, Alex Moore and Guy Howard both say that the timing is QQS. However, Howard notes that 'the timing may be SQQ'. So, I am wondering which timing would be better and if there are certain situations in which one would be preferable to the other. Or, is it just a matter of taste? (We have been dancing it SSS, which is obviously wrong. Though I am unsure if this could be used?)

Thanks!
    Daniel

2. vit

vit Active Member

From my remembering, both timings are allowed. I prefer thinking of it as QQS, but in reality it would be something in between anyway. SSS would be too slow to my taste and would kill the nature of the figure, which is sudden acceleration and change of direction, hence it's name I suppose

3. famfam

famfam Member

My instruction has been to follow a figure ending in quick (natural turn, running finish) with a running finish with timing SQQ.
    Follow a figure ending in slow (back lock, running finish) with QQS.

dlliba10 likes this.
  4. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Yer, that's what I thought.

That makes sense, thanks! :)

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

No...... QQS ( thats part of the reason ,why they call it a " running " finish )

6. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The first way I learned it was SQQ, and then another teacher taught it as QQS. By then the SQQ was so in my body that it was hard to break the habit. But from what I understand, both are acceptable.

7. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

honestly, i don't remember what a running finish is anymore (like, open natural to running finish?). but if it is what i think it is, then i have it as SQQ. oops.

8. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Yer for example you could do it after an open natural.

I think famfam's post is probably a good 'rule' to follow.

9. vit

vit Active Member

Yeah, now I remember, I had it in one choreography very long ago, repeated twice (open natural, runing finish) it was SQQ SQQ. First time it was actually ending in promenade, 2nd time OP.

As a general rule, as you already noticed, it depends what's before and what's after and these timings are never exactly accurate in a sense that slow lasts exactly as two quicks etc. This comes much more into play in slow foxtrot, which must be very continuous and smooth

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

SQQ. Why? Never asked...

If you want to dance it SSS, why not? If it fits the music better or you just like SSS better, do it and call it a variation. ;)

11. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Not if you're competing at a syllabus level. Then it's only SQQ or QQS.

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

If you want to dance SSS, I'd prefer an impetus turn. You can also substitute and open impetus turn for an open running finish (ie one ended in PP) on SSS timing.

13. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

A passing natural turn to running finish timed SQQ QQS is great fun!

14. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

I have seen it danced S,S,& ... looked pretty sweet into step hops.