Salsa Dancing--What to Wear?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by TemptressToo, Mar 9, 2005.

?

What to wear?

1. jeans and a t-shirt

100.0%
  2. sexy top and hoochey pants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. sexy top and swishy skirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Leah

Leah New Member

Personally when I am asked to dance I don't look down at a guy's shoes... in fact, I couldn't tell you what most men wear on their feet to clubs around here (including you Vin).

I think it's a pretty unreliable barometer (maybe a little better for women than for men, but still...)

Besides wasn't Beto talking the other day about how one of the greatest dancers on the scene gets his street shoes sueded for dancing in? Turning him down on that basis would be a mistake on the part of us ladies no? ;)
  2. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I second this -- pants and a sexy top work just about anywhere. I need to know the club and its clientele before I can decide wether or not I'm comfortable in a skirt there.
  3. tj

tj New Member

About danceshoes...

...as I mentioned earlier, I will judge a woman's danceshoes by their functionality. There are some shoes out there that a woman won't be able to dance in.

This one time, there was a woman wearing big ol' jackboots at the Century Ballroom in Seattle. I don't think she'd be able to spin in them...

Those super pointy stiletto heels don't look particularly dance-able either, so I'd probably avoid dancing with her, too.

Just my thoughts...
  4. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Well, my hoochey-mamma pants have a full enough leg to cover most of my ballroom shoes. I've tried dancing in my stilettos...it just doesn't look as smooth (due to a lack of support).

Thanks all!

Looking forward to Saturday.
  5. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Just curious, for all of you who've voted here, why are pants favored and not skirt? I prefer skirt, and normally wear skirt, since it's more convenient, has "better ventilation", and it's sexy!
  6. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Probably because it is my first foray into this club. For all I know it could be full of sleezy old men that try to grope me...or the opposite, full of very talented dancers that might try some more extreme moves (lifts and the like). In pants, I will be prepared for everything from the floor to the ceiling. :)

I do usually prefer skirts as well. :)
  7. Kindra

Kindra New Member

Wearing a skirt makes me feel like I need to act more conservative and "lady-like" or something. More often than not, I prefer to wear jeans/pants because I'm more relaxed and don't feel limited with my movements.
  8. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

I'm with BrookeErin, I usually wear a hip halter dress that's not too short. It's cooler for me. I can't handle feeling sweaty in pants. Any of the Salsa clubs I have gone to, there will be women dressed up or dressed down. I would say go with what you're comfortable in and what matches who you are. Besides, if that's you in the picture, look like you want to dance and stand in an obvious area where you can easily be approached, I don't think you're gonna have a problem being asked to dance, no matter which outfit you choose.
  9. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Well, I usually wear skirt and I'm not afraid because I ALWAYS have "protection" underneath, like a boy short or something. :twisted: Nope, you won't see anything even if you spin me like crazy! :lol:
  10. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Hi, I'm glad this subject came up. I've always dressed in a way to show that I intend to dance and nothing more - i.e. tee-shirt and jeans... Also because I don't like people touch my skin, so I feel safer in a tee-shirt. Last time I danced, though, a guy told me that I was definitely one of his favourite followers, and he couldn't say anything negative about my dance style, but that I could improve the way I dress. It was kind of a downer for the rest of the evening :cry:

Also, how do you manage to keep car keys/ money / ticket on you if you're in a skirt?
  11. Beto

Beto Active Member

Probably the arm wallets (which, personally, I don't care for) or keep your stuff where you can see it (if there's a "dancer's corner" where others leave their things). Worst case scenario, use the "guy wallet", i.e a friend or fellow dancer who wouldn't mind holding your keys for you. :wink:
  12. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Thank god in the local club here we do have a "dancer corner". The dancers (people serious in dancing) are usually at the side close to the tables, away from the bar, while the drinking crowd always stand around in area close to the bar. After going there every saturday, I pretty much know most of the people at the "dancer corner" and there's where everyone leaves their stuffs, the people around usually keep an eye on it. I mean if I'm not dancing and I see some strange guy coming to pick something up from a table close by I'd definitely do something (like informing the owner of the club). I usually leave my car key in my shoe bag and leave it underneath the table, no one's going to dig around there!

However there was one incident that my friend left her keys right there on the table and her car was stolen. And actualy a lot of people notice this weird guy sneaking around there at the "dancer corner" but no one saw him taking the key. Anyway, the car was found in the end, I suggest do not bring any car key with remote, and don't leave them open on the table, leave them in your bag and put underneath the table or something. And make sure you don't bring any bag/purse that caught attention, if you leave your Gucci bag on the table and went dancing, don't be surprise if it's gone when you come back! I usually bring a shoe bag that no one would ever notice.
  13. tj

tj New Member

(Whew, at least you're calling us, "guy wallets" and not "guy purses". )

Btw, as an admitted "guy wallet", make sure to remind me afterwards, as I've walked off with all sorts of things that I don't want! Lol! :roll: :wink: :tongue:
  14. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I usually secure my excess stuff in the trunk of my car. I carry my ID and keys.

For my keys, I make friends with the DJs and they will usually hold them for me with no problem.
  15. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

ah huh,what dj could resit those pretty blues :wink:
  16. El guru

El guru New Member

sexyyyyy

I like sexy dancers to dance with... :p

a woman can be not wonderful.. just "normal" but have to be sensual and sexy... :D
  17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Same here, Patapouf!

We have a place where only we sit and one can leave bags and stuff there... only expensive stuff gets stolen... if they know (or you show) that you have valuable stuff... For instance, there was a guy who came wearing this brand new leather jacket (very obviously expensive) and he waived around his brand new cell phone (latest Nokia...). When he left the jacket on a table and went to dance, guess what? It dissapeared (together with the expensive cell phone in the pocket)!

So... I usually have a backpack or a shoe bag... put my stuff (and my friends' stuff) in there... :) and on the table it goes! Of course, the table is never left unattended...
  18. HF

HF New Member

Hmm ...

generally I like it very much when ladies wear attractive tops and shirts. I confess I can be an enjoyer of beauty even without wanting more. Also now and then I have been asked by a lady how to get more dance invitations and I think dressing up a little can be one way besides other things.

But there is a but ...

It should be classy, expecially if the lady is not of the model type that will look good wearing everything. Above all don't forget that the guy will have to put his right hand on your back in closed position. Note that the touch of naked sweaty skin provoked by a backless skirt or a bikini can be attractive but only if the lady in the whole is very attractive to the man and also warm from dancing. If not, then it may be the opposite.

Since I try to ask virtually every lady for a dance, even if not so very young and not so very slim and maybe waiting for a dance for a little while I have found myself in various situations desperately searching with my right hand for any little area of fabric on a wet but cold and also wobbly middle aged female back - a really, really deadly combination ... :nope: :raisebro:

So if you want to wear backless the two layers model would be an option, and you want to lay off the outer skirt (maybe transparent) or whatever then better be sure that there are no streams of cold sweat on your skin any more (or yet).

Just my 2 cents ...
  19. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

About the problem where to put money & keys ...I couldn't find any dancer wallets :arrow: to buy where I live. But I found almost the same thing in a shop for runners. A small wallet with enough space for id, keys and mobile.

I tried it last weekend and it worked great. And the evening was really cheap ....It was too much work to get out that money from the pocket under the pants somewhere above my ankle. But it did not interfere with the dance. Not at all. I was surprised :D !

I will exchange the elastic straps to a longer model - so I can wear this wallet hidden under my skirt. :oops:

Dutch and Swedes look very much the same. I've spend a lot of time at the Riviera at IT conferences. You cannot say by the look if it is Swede or a Dutch person. I don't look Swedish at all....many people believe I'm a latino. They even start to speak spanish and I look like :?:. I must learn Spanish some day...

/Luc
  20. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

You'll have to teach me some Swedish to say. ;) And please don't teach me something horrible like, "I have horrible cramps...I must run to the bathroom."

Not just Dutch, it gets worse. ;) My mother's side is Dutch Irish. My fathers side is this fun combination of German and English (actually Welsh). So we have artsy blue-eyed brunettes on one side and blonde blue-eyed angry alcoholics on the other. ;)

Tomorrow is the day. I bought a cute red halter top (no mid-section showing) for my salsa night out. I've already got the pants.

Only bad thing...I think I hyper-extended my knee last night at ballroom. Against my better judgement, I went ballroom dancing at a hall with horrible dusty floors (I literally brushed my shoes every other song). The floor was so slick I almost wiped out doing a Viennese and tweaked my knee. I'm not limping, it is just uncomfortable...a bit sore.

Hmmm....what to take for aching joints?