Salsa Dancing--What to Wear?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by TemptressToo, Mar 9, 2005.

?

What to wear?

1. jeans and a t-shirt

100.0%
  2. sexy top and hoochey pants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. sexy top and swishy skirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wuthering

wuthering New Member

A week off. Seriously. Especially if it's about a knee, you don't want to end up having a surgery on your knee ligaments.
  2. aragonh

aragonh New Member

I love those arm wallets. I think they look cool on ladies.

As for the leg ones, the would look nice. . . :lol: . . . . but wouldn't they interfere with dancing?
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did anybody besides me get Edie's email this week? The one entitled "What to Wear to a Salsa Congress." Interesting ...
  4. pygmalion

Oh yeah. The short version? Leave your jeans at home. I wonder what she'd say about hoochey pants (whatever those are LOL.)
  5. pygmalion

Here's a link. The article seems to be generating some discussion over on Salsaweb. Hmm...

http://w w w.dancefreak.com/stories/gentlemen_in_suits.htm
  6. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i did pygmalion :) glad you mentioned it.i forwarded her mail to a friend of mine who puts out a dance newsletter via e-mail, my friend is a good dresser and im always getting compliments from women and men on my attire(no im not gay) anyway we were at a west coast/hustle event in virginia this weekend and ahhhhhhhhhh the west coast dancers dress is terrible there and all up the east ,ny, new jersey, boston,pa, our hustle crowd is much better at dressing,well needless to say her article is sooooooooooo needed out in some dance circles-salsa-west coast mainly from my experiance.
  7. vey

vey New Member

I've got it too, Pygmalion.

I think she's definitely on to something :wink: Althought, IMHO, it's possible to look cute and sexy in jeans...but some take it another step down and wear baggy jeans & crew-neck T-shirts into clubs and salsa dancing turns into a gym-like experience.
  8. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

These are hoochey pants... ;)

[​IMG]
  9. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Oh, can somebody forward that e-mail to me?
  10. pygmalion

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

For me, always a sexy top(shoulder & neck-baring, because it is much cooler) and jazz pants, the kind that if ya sweat in 'em, they'll dry off in no time! I wear dresses on occasion but only in the summer when my legs are tan. I hate wearing pantyhose.
    Have fun! :D
  12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Well...I went to the salsa club last night and loved it. I arrived early and encountered three couples on the dance floor. Two couples were taking a lesson and the third couple was giving the lesson. I approached the male of the teachers and asked if the lesson was still going on. He said yes, it was free and did I want to learn. I said sure. He said, do you know anything about salsa. I said, I dance ballroom. He laughed. He said, okay, show me your basic and turned me so that we were standing side-by-side. I did the basic....BACKWARDS....I did the guy's basic. God only knows why. Once he got me back in front of him, I was fine. I was also fine through most of the moves despite the fact that a native dancer's lead is strange compared to what I'm used to. Then he started getting really fancy and I was lost.

After the lesson, I asked him and his girlfriend to point out some good dancers. They both grinned and said, "just don't dance with the Mexicans." I said, "I don't know the difference." I then crawled into a chair because the teachers (now known as John and Ruthie) were going home for just a little while before the dance got really into full swing. They were taking one of the other couples (Cat and Randy) home with them. I was officially afraid of the Mexicans (and I didn't know which they were) and was apparently looking pretty helpless. John and Ruthie said, come on with us. So, I was adopted by the best and the brightest.

On the way to their house, the filled me in on their backgrounds. John was from the Dominician Republic and Ruthie was part Mexican and part something else (and she was beautiful). Cat and Randy following us were both Puerto Rican (if I remember correctly). We arrived at their apartment and watched some salsa videos online (from www.mambo.tv) and chatted. They were all so friendly.

Back at the club they introduced me to the other true dancers and educated me on the Mexicans (so bizarre). Having been adopted by decent dancers, I got to dance with the decent dancers and they watched out for me.

At the end of the night, I had danced a LOT of salsa and merengue. I had even learned a new dance (which I can't remember what it was called but it was danced to a rhumba type of speed and consisted of a slight knee hitch on the right, two quick side steps and a slight knee hitch on the left...very easy).

At the end of the evening, I was given a fond farewell of a hug and kiss on the cheek with an admonition that I had better come back.

Oh, I wore my old ballroom shoes and they were just perfect. Ruthie also wears an old pair of ballroom shoes and we both laughed and said, once you get used to them, there is no going back.

The end!
  13. africana

africana New Member

awww such a quaint tale of the warmth one encounters in a new salsa scene only this time it has slight tinges of racial elitism. I'm surprised they let Ruthie hang out with them seeing as how she's part mexican, or maybe it's diluted now so it's ok :twisted:

that would be Bachata the bastard son of...uh, excuse me, I'm glad you had a wonderful time :lol:
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm... Africana is right that the dance you describe does sound like bachata. And it actually is a qute lovely dance when done right.
  15. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Is the anti-Mexican-ism thing common? They told me that Mexicans don't dance very well...hold you way too close in more of a touchy-feely way...and get really crazy when they have been drinking. I had a few of them literally beg me to dance. But the ones that did ask me were dressed like field hands, looked sort of dirty, swaying slightly with a beer in one hand. I would look at John or Ruthie and they would either nod or shake their heads. I did watch some of the dancing Mexicans and they appeared to sort of stomp around or hop from foot to foot. Not at all like the smooth salsa style of the group that adopted me.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be offensive, I was just relaying the nights events. If that was bachata that I was taught, it was relatively simple and I enjoyed it. ;)
  16. africana

africana New Member

oh ok I think I understood that it might be the drinking non-real-dancer types who just wanna feel you up (yuck). but it's good to be careful before writing down these kinds of racial generalizations even if its not your idea...in other salsa scenes the mexicans could be part of the "hot latino elite" stereotype so that other classification wouldn't quite work hmm :?
  17. gte692h

gte692h Member

as instructors, your friends could have been little more responsible. Mexicans are good people, and its sad that they gave you a bad impression. I have seen the type of guys you are talking about, but there are also some very respectful dancers too.
    i have a good friend, who is white, and in a particular club, none of the latina women dance with him, and it most likely seems its because they have some sort of pre-notion about white male dancers. its horrible, because he loves to dance. he finally managed to get one lady to dance with him, and she was suprised at his ability and said, 'But you're white !'

this stuff cuts both ways, its awful
  18. pygmalion

Exactly. Well said, gte692h. 8)
  19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well your friends weren't excluding all the mexicans right? What many people don't like is the label given and painting everyone with the same broad brush strokes. You take a group of preppy kids and you will have some pretentious snobs and some wonderful people in the same group. To call all white people something or all Africans something else is just plain wrong for many people. Whenever one starts with racial/negative generalization one risks unnecessarily inflaming people.

my 2 cents :cheers:
  20. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Well that was just the thing...I went in expecting nothing. I expected one big happy Latin dancing family. It was sort of surprising that the very first thing I was hit with was....avoid the Mexicans. I heard it from not just one but many people. It was kind of strange for me because I did not know there were such lines drawn among Latin people. After it was brought to my attention, I did notice a difference in how the various people acted, dressed and especially danced.

Ruthie WAS beautiful. She was very light complected (I would compare her to Salma Hayak's coloring) with long, shiny super straight dark-hair to her waist. And she could tear up a dance floor.

Seriously, I'm the type of person that will usually dance with anyone, so refusing to dance with people was new to me. As I said, I did not know there were such extreme differences among Latin people and I went in not having any sort of inkling of who I should and should not dance with. I just wanted to dance and dance with someone that knew what they were doing and could teach me something new. I did appreciate the warning to avoid being groped on the dance floor though.