Salsa Dancing--What to Wear?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by TemptressToo, Mar 9, 2005.

?

What to wear?

1. jeans and a t-shirt

100.0%
  2. sexy top and hoochey pants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. sexy top and swishy skirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Oh, I almost forgot. There was actually one Mexican that was part of the group that I did dance with. He was in the Navy and looked clean-cut and well dressed. He also danced well. He was even present during the "don't dance with Mexicans" speach. Later when I found out he was Mexican I sort of looked at him quizically wondering what his thoughts were. He smiled and said, "nope, they are right and I totally understand. Doesn't bother me a bit." He's the one that actually taught me bachata. I don't remember his name though. :)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had fun, TT.

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I have danced with many Mexicans, while in Mexico, and they are all very warm people who LOVE to dance! In the salsa scene here, I have heard people say "Watch out for the(fill in with your favorite ethnic background)" but it should be "Watch out for Mr ABC over there! He's a groper!" It's usually one rotten apple that spoils the whole bunch, regardless of the person's nationality! :evil:
    Anyway, TemptressToo, glad you had fun! :D

4. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

First: where do I keep my stuff when I wear skirts/dresses?
    I do not leave stuff lying about; I only take into a club what can be kept on my person (although in cold months, I will wear an old cardigan that I don't mind losing). Usually, this consists of my driver's license, a credit card, my car key (not keys, they do come off the ring), and maybe chapstick and/or something to pull my hair back. I don't have 'pockets' but my bra works quite well.

Second: "Avoid the Mexicans"
    I think this is a faulty overgeneralization and an irresponsible statement (not to rebuke your new friends, who sound quite nice, but stereotypes/closed-mindedness is one of my major pet peeves). Some of my favorite leads are Mexican. I dance with people from many different countries from around the world, and I have noticed no differences based on country. There are some people in the clubs who are more about closeness or pickups than dancing, but there are those people in the "American" clubs too. There are more differences among groups than there are between groups (according to psychological research). We are more alike than some like to admit.

5. amrimi

amrimi New Member

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one who uses her bra as pockets.

6. wuthering

wuthering New Member

In my scene, I've often heard (what some call) positive discrimination concerning Blacks. It's even more ridiculous when coming from Caucasian guys ("I saw you dancing with those Black guys, I'm sure they were way better than me, so I won't even dare asking you dance with me anymore...")

Dancing is individual, and not the privilege of an ethnic group.

TT, I think you should test the salsa scene following your own better judgement. I usually turn down guys if they seem to be drunk or filthy, or if they are notoriously bad dancers (like always off beat etc) which hardly ever happens in my scene. Also, when you don't dance, watch the others and make your own opinion, like this you'll know what to expect when they invite you.

Concerning the initial subject: since last time a friend told me I should make an effort, yesterday I dressed up in a more sexy way. I felt less comfortable, but many new people invited me, though some were a bit too pushy.

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I guess I'm really lucky to always go to/host parties with a bunch of firneds and someone is ALWAYS sitting down at any given time so the bags/keys don't go missing. Heard a horrible story last night about a friend who was practicing for an African dance performance and her $2000 Breitling watch went missing!(Among fellow students!!!) I was stunned she didn't report it to her teacher! It's just going to happen again if people don't keep on the lookout!

8. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

Lots of people in our salsa scene leave coats, purses, keys, etc. on the tables; and it's not bothered (the majority of the time- I had a friend who lost a leather coat). I just think it's irresponsible to leave valuables out unattended and I don't want to ask someone else to be responsible for my things when I want to be on the floor. It also probably has something to do that I was introduced to the "American" club scene which is a somewhat different environment. And really, if I'm out dancing, how much 'stuff' do I really need?

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't bring anything really valuable either, with the ocasional exception of my digital camera, nor do I carry lots of cash.

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Brooke Erin, consider this:
    I don't have a car. I not always get home before I go to the club... For instance I have ki aikido training on Thursdays from 8 to 10 PM. After that I go directly to the club. So... I have a big bag with the training suit and the office clothes I changed (I don't wear office clothing when I go Salsa dancing). What am I to do with my valuables? Except for leaing them somewhere, of course...

11. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I actually put $10 and my ID (I have two) and my car keys into my dance shoe bag, which I carried in and changed into. Then John took the bag into the back room and hid it for me. I actually left my car and that bag there while I took the little trip to the apartment. I was nervous about that, but it turned out okay.

12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Oh, and I found this hilarious. I was dancing with a gentleman named Ishmael. We were chatting while dancing and he was asking me about the ballroom I dance. I was telling him about this and that and said he really should try it some time. He shook his head and said that no, you had to be in really good shape to ballroom dance well.

I found this hysterical considering he had just finished dancing merengue for a half hour straight. If you have the endurance to do that...that long...there isn't a Viennese waltz out there that could stop you. I was drenched in sweat after finishing a merengue set.

13. tj

tj New Member

Hey, congratulations, TT! I'm glad you had a nice time.

14. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Me too...I didn't know really what to expect. Especially walking in and encountering 90% Hispanics with a sprinkling of a few caucasian chicks (myself included) and one or two white guys. There were no black people at all (which I found strange).

Walking in, I felt I could have easily had a long night sitting and watching. Even those on the dance floor did not give me a second glance until they found out that I could dance. I think it is a respect thing and they respect that someone took the time to learn the dance, develop a bit of their own styling and show a willingness to try and also to learn more.

The leads of the Latin men I danced with were something to get used to. The frame was not that strong but their hands knew just how to grasp, grab, push and turn. I can't really explain it. I danced palm-to-palm (exactly like a sugar push without the push) for some time. I felt like the parts of my hand, wrist and forearm were divided into section that automatically did this or that. It was unlike anything I had ever felt from a lead.

15. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

:shock: That would be a problem. Of course, I in no way meant to suggest that mine is the only way; I hope it didn't seem that way. It sounds like you don't really have options. I would still want to try to leave my stuff somewhere else (the office or a friend's place) but maybe I'm just paranoid about it. Like I said, many others bring their stuff and they think I'm a bit silly for not wearing a coat (short walk to my car).

I grab disposables to take to clubs. They are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as my digital.

Does this make me paranoid or responsible?

16. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Ahh, those Mexicans. They are such a diverse bunch. :lol:
    I should know, I have lots of Mexican (and Mexican-descent) friends.

But thats with every group.

Anyway, Yeah, I think your newly adopted friends were just telling you to watch out for the non-dancers. It just happen that they were also Mexicans (or maybe they were Hondurans??)

The important part is that you were having fun!! Now your part of the clique!!

17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I am a camera snob, so prefer a "real" camera. No, what you are doing does not make you paranoid, it means you aer being sensible and don't want to risk losing your valuables! :)

18. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I certainly prefer my camera, but like you said... I don't want to lose it... and I've actually ended up with some great club pictures from disposables. If you want to see PM me.

19. TICA

TICA New Member

I have a rule. I have no idea where I got it from but I follow it as I am convinced it keeps me from looking like a hoochie.

If I show boobs I don't show legs, and if I show legs, I don't show boobs.

There. :lol:

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nice. Can I borrow your rule? 8) :D