Salsa in the Hampton Roads, VA, area?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsera_alemana, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I just moved from Germany to Newport News, VA, have been here for 3 weeks and we have tried out a couple of salsa venues. Well, we have not been excited so far.

Went to Tropicana in Norfolk and to Amadeus Cafe in Newport News. The one in Norfolk had a younger party/drinking crowd and a small dancefloor. The Amadeus Cafe is a nice location but the music is really awful, more reggaeton than anything. So we are kind of disillusioned already.

We love salsa and we hate to sit and wait over an hour - having to listen to merengue, bachata and over half an hour of blasting reggeaton - before we can dance another salsa. It is not worth the hassle. Better stay home and read a good book.

Now I hope that there is somebody here who knows of a better place to go. DC is just too far, we will do that every now and then but cannot do it all the time.

2. mambo sailor

mambo sailor New Member

I have been here in the Virginia Beach area since the beginning of August, and have only ventured to two salsa places--the Tropicana, and another place in Virginia Beach called Manilla's. Manilla's sucked, and I was not very impressed by the Tropicana. Unfortunately, there are not too many places out here in Virginia that are worth going to, but I heard that Knickerbockers out in Norfolk on a Saturday night was okay.
    I feel the same way you do about the format that so-called salsa DJs have adopted (two or three salsa songs, about twenty minutes of merengue, a half hour of that blasted reggaeton, maybe one or two bachata hits, rinse, wash, and repeat). Let me know if you find a gem of a salsa club somewhere out here in Virginia, and good luck on your ventures.

3. mambo sailor

I guess we are in the same boat.

I have found a newsgroup on yahoogroups where they announce salsa events here in the Hampton Roads area. It is called HamptonRoadsSalsa, you find that in groups.yahoo.com. Sign up and you at least will know about non-regular events that might sometimes be better than the regular ones.

I got a flyer at the Que Pasa Festival in Richmond announcing a concert of Grupo Niche this coming Friday, Oct. 7. However, I cannot reach anybody at the phone number listed, a night club called La Pachanga, it is not on the Internt, not in the Richmond Yellow Pages and nobody in Richmond seems to know about it. Very strange. Maybe it was cancelled??? No idea. Too bad, we would have liked to go, Grupo Niche is always very good.

I heard today that there is salsa and Latin music on Saturdays at the Fort Eustis club in Newport News. I don't know, though, if it is any good. We'll find out and I let you know.

4. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

Hampton_Roads_Salsa New Member

Updated information on salsa scenes in hampton roads 2012

UPDATED INFORMATION ON SALSA SCENES IN HAMPTON ROADS 2012

Addicted To Salsa Wednedays with DJ Mambo Soul
    (Basic Salsa class at 8:30pm)
    $5 per person
    Experience a great Latin Dance scene with awesome food and the best drinks in town.
    Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Cha cha
    5957 E. VA Beach Blvd Military Crossing Shopping Center
    Norfolk, VA 23502
    Accross from JANAF Shopping Center &
    Olive Garden, Near Military Circle Mall
    For More Information Call (757)-461-7272

Latin Fridays Dance Party
    Every Friday, 8:30 - 1:30am
    $10 per person / $8 with Student ID
    Come out and enjoy a night of fun dance in a great environment. This night is for those seeking a great mix of Latin dancing and more! Enjoy a mini-lesson and practice all night long. This night will feature merengue, salsa, cha-cha, bachata and more.
    2200 Colonial Avenue, Suite 4, Norfolk VA 23517 • (757) 351-6092

Bachata Nights
    (Bachata class at 8:30pm)
    $5 per person
    5957 E. VA Beach Blvd
    Military Crossing Shopping Center
    Norfolk, VA 23502
    For More Information Call 757-461-7272

5. DCR

DCR Member

6. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

UPDATED INFORMATION ON SALSA SCENES IN HAMPTON ROADS 2013

Tumbao Tuesdays
    Every Tuesday (8:15 Salsa Dance Lesson)
    Salsa, Bachata, ChaChaCha
    Virginia Beach Town Center
    168 Central Park Avenue
    Virginia Beach Virginia

Addicted To Salsa Wednedays with DJ Rico
    Every Wednesday (Basic Salsa class at 8:30pm)
    $5 per person
    Experience a great Latin Dance scene with awesome food and the best drinks in town.
    5957 E. VA Beach Blvd Military Crossing Shopping Center
    Norfolk, VA 23502
    For More Information Call (757)-461-7272

Latin Fridays Dance Party with DJ Steve Green
    Come out and enjoy a night of fun dance in a great environment. This night is for those seeking a great mix of Latin dancing and more! Enjoy a mini-lesson and practice all night long. This night will feature merengue, salsa, cha-cha, bachata and more.

Bachata Nights
    Every Sunday(Bachata class at 8:30pm)
    $5 per person
    5957 E. VA Beach Blvd
    Military Crossing Shopping Center
    Norfolk, VA 23502
    For More Information Call 757-461-7272[/quote]

7. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

UPDATED INFORMATION ON SALSA SCENES IN HAMPTON ROADS MAY 2013

Tumbao Tuesdays
    Every Tuesday (8:15 Salsa Dance Lesson)
    Salsa, Bachata, ChaChaCha
    Virginia Beach Town Center
    168 Central Park Avenue
    Virginia Beach Virginia

Extreme Latin Wednesdays with DJ Extreme
    Every Wednesday (Free Basic Salsa class at 8:30pm)
    $5 per person
    Paradocks Grille
    801 Eden Way N, Chesapeake, Virginia 23320-3090
    Norfolk, VA 23502

Salsa vs Bachata @ Acapulco with DJ Rico
    Every Thursday (Free Bachata Class at 830pm
    $5 per person (ladies get in free before 11pm)
    Address 470 Newtown Rd
    Virginia Beach, VA 23462-5619
    Phone (757) 456-2008

Latin Fridays Dance Party with DJ Danny

8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I also lived ( and taught ) in Newport News , many moons ago.

As to " Niche " have seen them several times live, but, 2 bad experiences..1.. they didnt bring the full band, and 2, they opted out of a gig because they didnt get paid cash upfront ( so I was told , and wouldnt blame them !! ) . But, on other occasions , they kicked A..

9. tangotime

ALL of those are Latin clubs,NOT salsa clubs,.. big difference !.

I do however, realise that, only salsa music, will not draw as well as a mixed dance latin nite ( outside of major metro areas ) .Even then, its hard to fill a venue . Pragmatism rules .

10. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

These are not reggaeton and Hip Hop clubs if thats what you are implying. If you don't like the fact that they mix a little bachata and merengue well I'm sorry. Can't help you there. But ALOT of salsa is played and this is where the salseros and salseras go, not just latin club people.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

apparently what they want is salsa... and not merengue and bachata.

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

If you would like to advertise please contact a moderator or admin to discuss our advertising policies and prices.

13. tangotime

Im not implying anything, just stating a fact. I know Most latin clubs in the States play a mixed program, danced in numerous ones, ,but, there are those clubs that ,cater to salsa only programs,( theres one in Orlando for e.g. ) and, Im not averse, to a merengue or 2 .

And from your last para. I guess you dont live in an area with a large latino population ( where some of the clubs are 99% latino ) .

And WHERE did you get the idea ,I was refering to Hip Hop !:eek:

14. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

I understand what they want is salsa. These are the locations that cater to people who want to hear salsa. The majority of the playlist of the DJs is salsa. Yes there is merengue and bachata played. But what is mostly played is salsa.

15. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

To say most latin clubs into states is to make a geralizing statement and dumping the venues I listed in that category, without you having any knowledge of the venues. I also don't see what the population being mostly latino has to do with this conversation. We do have a latino population and it isn't a majority. I don't see your point however or how it relates to these venues and them being legitamate places for people who want to hear and dance to salsa.

16. tangotime

Exactly my point..

17. tangotime

I made my assumption ,on what was listed as a play list "Program " .And, did I not say that ,clubs DO play a mix, BUT there are clubs ,who essentially do that ( salsa only ). How do I know ? because Ive dance in numerous U.S. venues , so I give empirical evidence , and they were all latino.

18. Hampton_Roads_Salsa

I understand your point of the difference between a salsa only club and a club that also plays bachata and merengue. The third type of club however was the one being complained about by the original post by Salsera Alemana. This third type is usually a latin club that plays top 40 salsa, and mostly reggaeton, merengue, and some hip hop.

"The Amadeus Cafe is a nice location but the music is really awful, more reggaeton than anything."

And also complained about by Mambo Sailor

"I feel the same way you do about the format that so-called salsa DJs have adopted (two or three salsa songs, about twenty minutes of merengue, a half hour of that blasted reggaeton"

My answer to their complaints remains the venues listed. They don't play reggaeton at all. The dance floor is big to answer one of Salsera Alemana's complaints. And mostly salsa is played to answer both Salsera Alemana and Mambo Sailor's complaints. It did not appear at any point that they requested a Salsa Only club. Only that the dance floor be a decent size which it is at all the venues listed, that they didnt have to listen to reggaeton and that they not have to wait extraordinary amounts of time to hear salsa, and the venues provided adress all of these concerns.

19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

would they like a unicorn too?? the odds are about the same

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

and reggaeton is da bomb:eek:

you just need to learn samba:D