Salsa Inspirations-Did you know........?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Mar 4, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Anyone know any "inspiring" Salsa trivia for the dancer? I'll start:
    Did you know that Edie "The Salsa Freak" took her first salsa class at age "30" and is now a famous instructor? Also, prior to that, she did not have any dance training. :D

2. vey

vey New Member

I knew that ! I knew that ! But thanks for reminding me again. :D

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, but thanks for the reminder :tongue: :lol: (means I just need to get my butt into gear, because it just goes to prove that if you have the desire/determination it is never too late :lol: )

Not really inspiration or salsa related :wink: I guess more dance trivia, but did you know that Stephanie Powers, of Hart to Hart fame, was in rehearsals for West Side Story (starring Natalie Wood :wink: ) but was "kicked out" of the cast because, from what I recall reading, she was 15 at the time and the minimum age was 16. She then went on, many years later, to do Hart to Hart with Robert Wagner, Natalie Wood's husband. Talk about "small world" :roll: :lol:

4. peachexploration

Did you know.......

Mario Justo Gonzalez, better known as Mario B. Through Mambo, has become a Professional Dancer, Instructor, Choreographer & Actor.
    First Salsa class taken in 1999 and background is in athletics. No dance background. :D

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yeap, knew about that a part from the acting bit. Similiar sort of thing with Frankie Martinez and Juan Matos too apparently. They never danced up until a few years ago, so the story goes, and are creating storms where ever they go :lol:

6. peachexploration

Yeah, but what's inspiring about Mario B.? He may not look like the typical dancer but he stuck with it. He's very tall 6' and 240 pounds and in a very short amout of time, he became a great salsa dancer. So if we have hang ups about the way we look regarding our size, we can think of Mario B. and be inspired to hang in there. :D Keep the Salsa inspirational trivia coming..... Anyone else?

7. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes. I have seen him dance and attended one of his workshops. He is brilliant and as you say, he does not look like a "typical dancer" ie reed thin. Wasn't he part of the "Mamas and the Papas"? A New York group that was started by a lady in New York who was on the large size, yet really wanted to dance?

Abbey, I think her name is, formed her own group with either three or four other large women, from recollection. I saw their performance on the tape from the LA Salsa Congress and I was in hysterics. They did a "comedy sketch" characturing the big dance groups (Eddie Torres, Salsa Brava, Felipe Polanco), it was hilarious. Then they went into their own "Mamas and the Papas" routine and they were brilliant.

(On the video, the camera man panned to Eddie Torres' face when they were doing the "take" on Eddie Torres Dance Company and he was laughing his head off. From recollection, I think he also encouraged this lady to do set up her dance company.)

8. peachexploration

Liz Lira, one of the most stylish salseras, resume includes:

Ballet 12 years
    Jazz 12 years
    Modern 8 years
    Lyrical 6 years
    Hip Hop 5 years
    Salsa 4 years
    Tap 1 year
    Flamenco 1 year
    Yoga/Pilates 8 months

.....and contortionism!! No wonder her body can twist to no end. :lol: :lol:

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Did u know that, if not for salsa, i would not have been who i am today, but something much less alive.. :p

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That puts two of us in that camp my friend! :D

11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Me three 8) !

12. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

What you guys may not know about Mario B:

I went to high school with him and this guy is a top-notch athlete...

Suffered an injury that laid him out for a long time and was so depressed
    about not being able to play.

He found salsa later on in his life, and as he himself told me: "If it wasn't
    for Salsa, I don't know where I'd be..."

He's an awesome guy!

13. peachexploration

I thought I had seen this in another thread but wasn't sure. :D He is definitely an inspiration to others. :D

14. peachexploration

Josie Neglia was also a feature dancer in the movie "DANCE WITH ME" with Vanessa Williams & Chayanne.

Anyone know what scene she's in? Don't remember seeing her.

15. salsaForfun

salsaForfun New Member

Here a quote from Josie's message board. Check it out:

"I dance beside and behind her (Vanessa Williams) in the first night club scene in the movie "Dance With Me".
    I have black straight hair and am wearing a tight silver mini dress.
    If you blink, you might miss me. That's Hollywood!"

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oops! Just what I needed. An excuse to watch that movie again. LOL.

17. peachexploration

LOL. I know. I had to watch again this morning. And sure enough she is there but in order to see her, I had to view it in slow motion. Bummer, she's there for only a quick second. :?

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: This reminds of an Australian movie called Lantana. A number of the salseros in Sydney were in it and from what I heard, there were some classrooms scenes and a whole day of shooting for a nightclub scene. The night club scene had a mini rueda circle and all!

I finally got around to seeing the movies last night and there were just a few seconds of the nightclub scene :shock: :lol: It would have been "nice" if some more of the dancing was left in but heck it was a thriller so the dancing might have detracted from it :oops:

The movie was excellent though. Talk about "Six Degrees of Separation" :shock:

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

first time i saw salsa danceing was thru the movie 'Salsa' featuring R.Rosa,, the first song i heard was 'Margerita' from the same movie.. i just LOVE this song .. specially this song.. whenever i feel i need a salsa passion injection i play this song and sure enough i go mad with the desire :bouncy:

see its not just the beautiful passionate words.. the fantastic musicality of it.. its like it has a magic spirit of its own.. i tell u .. feeling wise.. no other song makes me feel like this one does.. and to date, no other made me dance virtually on air :p

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Me too....! "Puerto Rico" was my favourite......