Salsa Inspirations-Did you know........?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mambolad

mambolad New Member

Didn't think much of that movie. Typical Aussie rubbish :D It kind of portrayed salsa as being something bored middled aged wives do! Anyway, that's the message I got from it.
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forums mamboland! :D
  3. Jack

Jack New Member

I started at 49 now 50 I'm at the end of beginners 3, 4 months.Need some polish though *smile*
  4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yay! Good for you, Jack. :cheers:
  5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: I disagree Mambolad. Did you start watching it from the beginning :wink: :tongue: But hey, it could have been worse. Namely, the message you got from it could have been: Salsa is for failed athletes, martial artists, musicians etc :wink:

PS. Has anyone told you lately that you have beautiful eyes :bouncy:
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I was just asking myself that. I believe Bob Powers and Julia Gorchekova were also featured, but don't kow which scene.
  7. mambolad

mambolad New Member

:shock: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm speechless!
  8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

You might want to consider joining the "Insomniacs-R-Us!" club then :wink:

PS: Welcome to Dance Forums :banana:
  9. peachexploration

Tito Puente was born Ernesto Antonio Puente Jnr., 20 April 1923, Harlem Hospital, New York City, New York, USA. Born of Puerto Rican parentage, Tito began piano lessons when he was seven years old and around the age of 10 he started tuition in drums and percussion, which became his forte. Around 1936, Puente commenced his professional career as a drummer with the orchestra of Noro Morales. In 1941 he played with the Machito band. World War II intervened and Tito was drafted into the US Navy for three years' service. After his discharge he took courses at New York's Juilliard School of Music and did stints with the bands of JosÈ Curbelo and Fernando Alvarez between 1946 and 1947. With Curbelo, Puente performed alongside Tito RodrÌguez, who later became his arch-rival.
  10. peachexploration

Professional choreographer, Nadine Gautier, choreographed the off-broadway play Quien Mato A Hector Lavoe (Who Killed Hector Lavoe) which also starred Domingo Quinones.
  11. peachexploration

Inspired by any other Salsa Artists? Dance or Music?
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Nope. :p I inspire myself. :)
  13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

You all do know that the Rueda scene in Dance With Me is basically a whose who of salsa celeberties right? Check out the list:

Jannette Valenzuela .... Woman in Dance Club (She's the first girl Chayanne dances with when Vanessa Williams walks away mad.)

Jose Mesa Benjamin .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Harry Bowens .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Juan Carlos Cienfuegos .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Leila Flores .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Raúl Gómez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Monica Gonzalez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Rudy González .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Ana Hernandez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Alicia Gómez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Joel Hernandez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Erika Landin .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Alyra Lennox .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Rojelio Moreno .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Anne Noelle .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Piper Orr .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Jacqueline Rios .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Chantal Sagouspe .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Marissa Soratorio .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Albert Torres .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Francisco Vasquez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Joby Vasquez .... Salsa Club Dancer
    Luis Vasquez .... Salsa Club Dancer
  14. Pebbles

Pebbles New Member

I saw an interesting salsa performance by a ballet dancer. She loved dancing, but stopped because she got married at 20, and her husband didn't approve. After he passed away, she started dancing again, and she has been learning salsa for several months prior to the performance. When she came on the stage, the audience was like :) Because she's everyone's grandma age! She stopped dancing for 40 some years!! Everyone was giving her the warm, supportive applause. We were like, well it is sure nice to see a grandma dancing a few turns, maybe even a shine or two..

Then she started dancing: multiple spins! :shock: dips! neckdrops! :shock: :shock: lifts! aerials! :shock: :shock: :shock: There were a dozen pro performances before them, but nothing could compare to a grey haired Salsera flying through the dance like that! It absolutely brought down the house :D
  15. Sagitta

Wow and wow!! :eek: :D
  16. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm inspired by a nose with different size nostrils!.. awww :applause:

:p
  17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I heard Vanessa Williams (Dance with Me) doesn't really know how to Salsa dance! Is that true? She surely didn't look it! :lol: :lol:
  18. peachexploration

Maybe she's not as great as Joby or Edie but I've seen her incorporate Salsa in her concert shows even before "Dance With Me". Her background is in dance, so for her to pick up other dances rather quickly, it is quite easy.
  19. Sagitta

Must see that movie...one of these days.
  20. LovingIt28

LovingIt28 New Member

wow - what a great thread. Thanks!!!