Salsa is better than sleep.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by thespina13, Sep 29, 2006.

1. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I cannot even express to you how tired I was today. I danced my knat off all last night (Thursday), then woke up really early on Fri morning and worked 9 hours, and then came home and worked some more. Then I put my sick kids to bedand once, when I found a half hour without demand, I put my feet up and passed out in a dead and desperate sleep. The problem with that was that my instructor's 30th birthday party was tonight and I knew I wanted to make an appearance. So after the kids were down I threw on thelittle black dress despite my "better" judgement, and put on some makeup, shoes, little squirt of perfume and was ready to go, if even for an hour. And My hubby took me out and I danced. And was that EVER the right thing to do. I felt happy and invigorated, if still a little dizzy from fatigue (LoL... try to tell salsa folk you're tired. They seriously don't get it!) and now instead of feeling like azombie I feel sweetly tired and happily unburdened. Salsa as therapy, I tells ya.
  2. raindreamer

raindreamer New Member

If you don't sleep well, you can't do salsa well. Salsa is like anything else. You need intense mental concentration. One can't be daydreaming while doing salsa. Sometimes I find myself doing that I forget to keep leading the girl. Salsa is probably the most attentive thing one can do, even after years of practice, it requires intense concentration. Which of course requires sleep. I never salsa when I am tired. One needs both the physical and mental energy to focus and succeed.
  3. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL... wow. I've been told.

raindreamer, dear. I dn't feel quite like defending my lifestyle this morning, but I will say that I only go out dancing once a week usually, maybe twice, and at all times I'm well-rested. This weeks has been a very stressful and weird exception, and I had to make an appearance at this party. There's something about dropping into the body without thinking too much or trying to control too much... sometimes my brain inhibits me. So sometimes, when I'm tired, that goes away, and like good sex, it's better when it's loose and free. Every once in awhile it's nice to share a session of tired looseness with my dear friends, in between the intense, well-rested success I experience more frequently. Come on now. I was merely sharing how good dancing made me feel as opposed to the delrious over-worked state I was in before that. I left early with my husband and crashed, and it was a happy sleep.

Perhaps it's slightly different for leaders, too. You all have to keep so much in mind. I find that I follow better if I'm in an open and receptive state. The thing that really gets me isn't so much being tired, but being ridiculously hungry, and hormonal fluctuations. Hungry=impossible to dance. Hormonal fluctuations=stay off the floor!! I lose balance, can't follow, feel weak and dizzy and generally unhappy.

And if perfect well-restedness were so important, how does my and other very busy instructors/performers do it? They're bright and alert for sure, but with their teaching/rehearsing/practicing and performing schedule, exhausted at the same time. Also, how does anyone get anything from a congress? I'm sure there have been at least one or two out of the millions of attendees who've social danced a little long and been tired for the workshops, and have actually goten something from it and done well. I agree that one shouldn't be a zombie, but sometimes we're tired, and that's the way it is, and sometimes dancing feels really good and can help spin you out of a funk.
  4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Sleep. Meh. My best friend can sleep for as little as 4-6 hours and be perfectly fine. He says it's a waste of time to sleep too much. LOL. Try telling that to my body when it's trying to wake up after the practice party to go to the studio (work). :rolleyes:

T_E
  5. naturallove

naturallove New Member

Sleep is good. Good salsa...even better. Glad you had fun!
  6. raindreamer

raindreamer New Member

But what if you can sleep AND do salsa ?? Recently I have been into the whole idea of lucid dreaming, where one is aware they are dreaming and can take control of one's dreams. I have been practicing each night, and already can take control of some dreams. My goal is to be able to turn my dreams into one big salsa party. Bit by bit, I want to start doing salsa in my dreams, and then I can sleep AND salsa. Why choose when you can have both ?
  7. Tony_Salvi

Tony_Salvi New Member

Hmm..does that mean you can choose the music too? It'd be nice to be your own DJ in your salsa dream.
  8. naturallove

naturallove New Member

With no mixing salsa songs into one another....ah...sounds like paradise. :)
  9. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I am exhausted - I was running around doing (music) gigs with my quartet all day, and school was really rough last week . . .

But I HAVE to go dancing tonight. It's been almost a month since I've gotten to dance. I just have to go. I have to. So I'm leaving in half an hour. Tired body and brain and all.

Because tomorrow I will feel better for it.

I hear ya, ts. :)
  10. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

That's what I'm talking ABOUT. :D Have a great, relaxing and invigorating time, dela...
  11. Fretful_Porpentine

Fretful_Porpentine New Member

I'm in complete agreement. Who needs sleep when one can have salsa? This past Friday, after a crazy day of classes, I danced from 8:30pm to 4am. It was AMAZING, and not only because it was populated by a fair number of very attractive men who could *gasp* actually salsa!
  12. raindreamer

raindreamer New Member

Be careful not to over heat yourself from dancing for too long. Seven and a half hours is a really long time. Three hours really should be the max. One can become dangerously dehydrated very quickly doing salsa, and this can cause serious damage to your internal organs. If you are going to dance all night long, take a break atleast between every 2 songs, and drink lots of water. Even if your body doesn't feel like it, do it anyway. A lot of people have died from over heating from dancing too long. Thats what happens to a lot of ectasy users. It's not the ectasy that kills them, but the fact that the ectasy allows them to dance for hours on end, slowly dehydrating and killing them. Actually, one of my co worker's friends died (she was only 21, perfectly healthy) from overheating, so be really really careful. Drink, take breaks, and don't push yourself beyond what is reasonable.
  13. Fretful_Porpentine

Fretful_Porpentine New Member

No worries, there were one or two sizeable (at least 30 minute ) breaks in there, as well as several shorter ones. And I downed at least a gallon of water and no alcohol, so I was fine dehydration-wise.
  14. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

raindreamer, we should appoint you as Df's own dancer supervisor/hall monitor/personal health mentor. :p
  15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

salsa better than sleep?.. hmm
    well,, that entirely depends on who u sleep with and who u salsa with..
  16. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL... that is more truth that I care to admit.
  17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

LOL hopefully you can find someone you can sleep with and Salsa with - someone who is good at both ;)
  18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hey!.. where's the blondy pic u promised me squirrel? :(
  19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Sorry man, got to ask my BF for it... :)
  20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Sabor is no relationship breaker.
    Or is he? :shock: :lol:

T_E