Salsa/Mambo Music by Non-Latin Artists

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Spitfire, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I have a fair collection of Salsa tunes by latin artists, but only a few by non-latin artists. "Hell" by The Squirrel Nut Zippers is one example and The Cherry Poppin' Daddies have one called "Shake Senora" (which is suppose to be a salsa, but sounds more Samba to me).

Any others?
  2. brujo

brujo New Member

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

4. brujo

brujo New Member

There is a series called 'salsa in english' that you might be interested in.

link here
  5. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Latin Dance Band is a local Danish band.

Always ready for a great night with lots of energy and salsa.
    Last time this Saturday. :D :D :D

They have written some numbers in Danish, and a couple of sound clips can be found here.

http://www.latindanceband.dk/ENGLISH/indexE.html

Click on "new cd"

have fun 8)
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Try out west african music, e.g. Africando. Also, if you are crazy/passionate enough you can dance salsa to any 4/4 music. It depends on how far you are willing to go.
  7. Vin

Vin New Member

I think it would be cool to make a list of "pop" songs that have the salsa beat. I heard someone say Faith by George Michael before here. I kind of hear a bit of salsa beat in the new version of "Lady Marmalade" that went with Moulin Rouge.
    Any others?
  8. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

I just heard some classic xmas song in salsa versions :shock: :D
  9. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

Tito Nieves has a lot of salsa in English.
  10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

"Lady" originally by Kenny Rogers/Lionel Richie. Check it out at
    http://www.mamboston2.com/djnik.htm
    Volume 2-Salsa version by Orquesta la Palabra. Very Nice!
  11. brujo

brujo New Member

This is like 'La macarena' in my neck of the woods. Every club, every night is this friggin song. Should be tied up and shot between the eyes
  12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: Over my dead body :evil: :lol: I love Lady. It is like a walk in the park for me, rather than some of the whiz around the supermarket dances :wink:
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Fighting words!! Fight! Fight! Fight! :lol:

Salsa Celtica - I'm listening to a CD by them and they ain't bad. :)
  14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

No fight Sagitta. I just need to borrow a few moves from Sassy Hips Youngsta and I suspect Brujo wouldn't know what hit him :wink: (I am assuming that Brujo is male :oops: :lol: )
  15. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Um how did my hips get dragged into this?? :shock:
  16. mambochino

mambochino New Member

Lady.....oh lord! :doh:
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Marc Anthony's English songs are good. Ruben Blades' English songs bug me, though. Somehow seem contrived to me. Lou Bega(Mambo #5, I've Got a Girl, etc) is fun to dance to. There's a song "Salsa en Ingles" by Miguel Oscar y la Fantasia that's just plain ODD. Orqesta de la Luz is now defunct and is now Orqesta de la Sol.
  18. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

I thought they'd got back together -- a friend of mine went to their (De La Luz's) concert in Tokyo in February this year. Or have they split again?
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I could be wrong on that Macmoto. I just picked up the new "Salsa 120%"(salsa mag in Japan) and there's an article on them so I'll read up.
  20. squirrel

squirrel New Member

"I can't get no satisfaction" - another song made Salsa! :evil: