Salsa on 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salilsurendran, Dec 9, 2008.

1. salilsurendran

salilsurendran New Member

Hello Friends,
    I was dancing on Salsa on 1 but recently I have been introduced to Salsa on 2. Most of the people in my location dance Salsa on 1, but this group is very committed to Salsa on 2. The instructor is excellent and very passionate too. I have noticed that when dancing on 2 when I do some complex turns. I go back to dancing on 1. Basically i would like to dance as much as possible either on 1 or 2. but in a on 2 class I have to dance on 2 and in a on 1 class have to dance on 1. I was wondering if it is possible to master both dancing on 1 and 2?
    On a side note, I did have trouble understanding the beat and posted on that problem int this forum. With your help, I having very little trouble right now. I am able to pick up the first beat with ease and I am actually not linking it to any instrument and I am not processing the music with my brain, like linking it to tumbao, mascaras etc. I just listen for the first beat and divide the intervals by 8. It works but is this a good idea or should I specifically listen for instruments?

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It's possible but obviously harder than just doing one or the other all the time... Some people seem to be able to switch between the two timings with relative ease, while (many) others struggle, especially at first. I dance with many leaders who are trying to learn on2, and it's very very common for them to switch back to on1 timing during a dance.

If you have trouble with the beat to start with, it's even harder to master the two timings, so it may help to work on that problem intensively.
    I don't usually listen for any specific instruments, but if you are trying to learn on2, it may be a good exercise to try to focus on the tumbao.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I dance both ways, but I certainly found it a lot easier at the start to just tsick with one (on2, in my case). Most people around here seem to dance on1 though, so after I got more comfrotable with salsa, went back and learned on1 too. Not a whole lot different, just how you count it.

4. Josh

Josh Active Member

Depends if you're talking about NY style on2, or american rhythm mambo, which is like on1, but shifted. NY on2 (what the OP is talking about probably), starts with the man's left foot back, then the right foot back for the rock, then replace to left on 3. American Rhythm mambo is left foot forward on 2, replace to right on 3, left foot back on 4, much like salsa on 1, which is left forward on 1, replace to right on 2, and left back on 3.

So NY on2 and on1 are actually QUITE different, not just in timing but in character. If you meant other than what I assumed above, I apologize.

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You may want to review the archives - this may be one of the most popular salsa topics n'est pas?

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmmm, I had forgotten the distinction, and can't exactly tell from your description (well, they're obviously different, just can't completely picture what you're talking about). But yes, in general I dance mambo and on1,s orry.

7. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

It has always been my opinion that Salsa is On1 and with less Cuban motion than Mambo which is On2 exclusively with some pretty intense Cuban motion at times.

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Was talking with pro about our syllabi today, and how, at least in the demonstration videos, mambo was alot more boxlike and exaggerated, while salsa was bigger, smoother, and more of a slot dance. But that's just FA's opinion. :)

9. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Well my opinion comes from both pros and the pro that taught my main pro way back when ... none of my current pros dance Salsa in the FADS style... well..not yet anyway. ;)

10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Which is not entirely true ..............

I have recently written a series of articles on Salsa Forums with all the distinctions.. there are several "styles ", from PR to Cuban ,all based upon the same premise, but affected by the style of music and country of origin.

11. tangotime

The " break " has nothing to do with motion...and salsa is also on 2 and 3
    and many Cubans dance mambo on "1".. go to Salsa Forums if you want detailed info.

12. tangotime

Chain schools tend to stay with a Mambo style ( the ones I coached in ) " street " style is not their strong suit

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

FA actually has seperate mambo and salsa syllabi now tangotime. Well, salsa at least up through bronze, I believe silver is almost done being written (book and video aren't done yet), but stagekat may have a better idea on that than I do. Plus, at least in this area, all the FA's have at least one pro at each of the studios who konws real street salsa of at least one flavor and is willing to teach it if asked. RT and TNT at stagekat's studio, my FP at my studio, HBF at south Barrington, etc. All have had a lot of real exposure to salsa outside of the chain's version, and at least one of them used to ocmpete in it. So even where the syllabus may not have street salas, doesn't mean we don't have pros who aren't wiling and able to tteach it. :)

14. tangotime

A/m has had one for quite sometime

And thats the WHOLE point.. street style has no formal stucture, that is the " latinos " objection to B/room style.. its not a right or wrong thing.. they both serve a purpose, but in my experience, in some major cities in the States where I coached and danced ( up thru 2003 ) there was very little " street " style, if any being taught.. that is not to say it didnt exist .

Currently in the UK, most of the salsa I have seen in several large cities ( including Ldn ) very little street and or on "2" type is being done, or danced . It still looks like ballroom .

15. kayak

kayak Active Member

Josh, other than getting started forward or backward on the first half of a measure, I can not think of any patterns that are different. Can you point out moves can not be interchanged just a few beats opposite each other?

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Not so kayak. The patterns between on1 and Power2/Palladium2 are the same (just shifted up a beat), the basic (and hence patterns) of NY2/ET2 are quite different.

17. kayak

kayak Active Member

See, it is a good day when I learn something new. I have been choosing how to start just based upon whether I hear the heavy beat at the beginning or end of a measure. Once I pick my basic, everything else is basically the same - lady's turns when I rock back, men's when I rock forward, CBL patterns forward/side.

The cool thing with my salsa club is after they clubify salsa music the beat rattles the whole building. Plus, the floor is crowded enough that nobody would actually be able to see even if I was on Tangotime's on3 plan :)

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I found, that the LA- and NY-style guys dance very strictly on1, or on2 respectively. But for guys from central america I found it hard to find out if they ever dance strictly on1, 2, or 3 or do a mixture from everything, which actually works

19. salilsurendran

salilsurendran New Member

OK. I was wondering if practising dancing on 2 will make me forget dancing on 1? There is one group that dances exclusively on 2 and one of my friend's who is a die hard on 2 dancer claims that dancing on 2 is tougher than on 1 and once i learn on 2 i can dance on 1 easy. But most of the people and classes in my area dance on 1 and hence I don't want to forget dancing on 1. Other than dancing to different beats the steps seems to be the same, so whatever I learn on the On 2 class I just translate it to On 1 and vice versa

20. tj

tj New Member

From personal experience, as long as you practice both, while you may experience some confusion at first, you'll be fine in the long run.