Salsa teacher training course

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

There have been the discussions back and forth, forth and back :lol: about having some sort of salsa governing body. I think the general concensus has been to leave salsa ALONE!

On the other hand, is there anything that can be done about teachers? With every Tom, Tony, Tania and Tina starting a salsa class, is the time about right to start calling for some sort of teacher training programme? If you were involved, irrespective of our dance level, in devising that training programme, what do you think it should contain? I know there will be some obvious ones such as musicality and dance technique, but anything else?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I know that the following goes against the grain of this entire thread, but here are my two cents...

I see no need for a teacher training course, either for salsa, or for any of the other dances. Let any Tom, Dick, or Harry start a salsa class. You go to the first class and you can tell if they are any good. If not then just leave them. What I mean by that is did the tecahing style work for you. It doesn't matter if you don't know the least bit about dancing. I've seen that good instructors can make the worst person leave their first class having learnt something and with a smile on their face. That is the instructor I want.

Now back on topic...

If I had a teacher training course, the number one thing that an instructor needs to learn is how to break down moves, explain concepts, and techniques in a way that anyone can understand them. After that it would be the philosophy of flavor and style and being able to communicate this idea to students right from the beginning level. With this second concept comes the idea of musicality without bringing up that word. (It's one of those words that make the reality more daunting then it really is.) Both these ideas enscapulate communication skills. If you cannot communicate and interact well with your clientale you won't have a business.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Whether it's a good idea or not, I'll leave up to DFers to debate. But I'd bet that anybody who tried to require any specific training or credentials would get tarred and feathered and run out of town. Salser@s value their freedom above all else, not? :) 8)

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I do believe there are certain skills that need to be learned in order to become a good teacher, but (especially in salsa) teachers tend to have their own style, and people tend to resist any form of standardization, but it still begs the question...
    What makes a good salsa teacher?

5. squirrel

squirrel New Member

hmmm... capacity to break down the moves and explain them to everybody so that each person understands it... people are different and need different explanations... :)
    there are many skills required... any other ideas?

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

free food, if a dance studio has free food after every lesson, I'd go there no matter if I did or didn't learn a thing. :D :D

7. pygmalion

:lol: :lol:

8. Sagitta

It has to be good free food. I won't take any crap.

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: No matter which ever way you look at it, the way to a man's feet will always be through his stomach :roll: :lol: :lol:

10. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

Nothing can be done!!

Are you gonna give someone a ticket for illegal salsa instruction? :4u

Bad teachers find their way out of teaching as the reputation spreads.

BTW, Josie Neglia has a highly regarded course for instructors!!

11. pygmalion

Where can you find info on the Josie Neglia course?

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I think Edie has one such course also :? .......

Has anyone here done it with either Edie or Josie Neglia? Care to share some insight...?

13. Sagitta

w w w .latindance.com is her website and the following link leads to hr teacher training course... https: / / w w w .latindance.com/course.htm

14. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

all that all have heard of is Josie`s course. Plus she does have a degree in dance.

Both are excellent instructors!

15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Am aware of Josie. I think hers has been running longer than Edie's? Apparently Josie has moved from LA back to Canada but I am not sure if she is doing them still or if so, in which town.

I think either Joby or Luis, formerly of Salsa Brava, are going to be teaching courses also.

16. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

The ability to actually dance would be nice.

By dance, I mean dance with one's whole body. One of the big problems out here (Nashville) with some of the people teaching club salsa is that all they can do is teach patterns. And the leads are taught so heavy, nuance in terms of precisely where they come or how they can be indicated rather than forced are neglected. Body position is ignored. The lead comes from the arms and only the arms. I have enough dance background to watch the really great salsa dancers and see what they're doing or to sometimes figure out the technical aspects of leading a step by myself. But if all I wanted to do was learn patterns, I can get that by watching videos.

17. ketchup

ketchup New Member

I agree with GR :!: .

One time, I had a chance to take a private lesson with one of NY based well known teachers. She asked me what I was hoping to learn, so I asked a bunch of technicality questions. She didn't answer any of them.
    She noticed that I was so frustrated. Then she goes, "you know, I have some cool patterns I can show you."

A couple of days later, a friend of mine showed me one of this same instructor's videos, and I found out that she had just picked up some "cool patterns" from that video! And I paid MORE than twice as much as the video for that stupid 50 min. lesson. :x :x :x

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Do you remember what those technical questions were? Enquiring minds would like to know :wink:

19. pygmalion

Disclaimer: I did ballroom first. :oops: :lol:

Here's my observation. A lot of the good, even very good salsa dancers out there are beautiful at dancing, and even executing great technique. But many haven't done formal study of dance, so sometimes it's hard for them to teach technique. Executing technique and teaching it are two different things. Much respect to the beautiful salsa dancers out there, of course. :notworth: But teaching technique is hard to do if you haven't studied enough to break it down and explain it in simple terms.

20. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yup, definately seen this before. :(