Salsa teacher training course

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

True, and that's not what I'm complaining about. I know enough about technique to know what questions to ask and what to look for when I watch someone dance. What I don't like are the many teachers I've seen out there with no technique and no style, who are simply teaching steps. Waste of time!!!!!
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I completely agree. Any teacher worth his/her salt will incorporate technique and style, starting with the person who does not know his left from right foot all the way up to advanced dancers, and will know just how much of this to illustrate.

By the way I have started helping out beginners in a completely different manner. I just tell them to relax and step, to listen to the music, look at me...a very different approach and one that can result in a much better dance experience then actually teaching moves...but, not one that one can do with everyone. :)
  3. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

What I want teachers to teach:

- That dancing is about music and partner connection, not about collecting moves/turn patterns and showing them off.

- That the patterns they show are not prescriptions, just suggestions. Students are encouraged/helped to take them apart and make them different and their own, and are also taught to be flexible and be able to adapt to the condition of the dancefloor.

- That the point of each class is not to memorise patterns but to learn how to lead the partner through them (many teachers break down moves to teach, but not necessarily from the lead-follow viewpoint, i.e., what lead is required at each point of the moves and why it has to be done that way).

- That the followers are supposed to follow the lead, not the patterns the teacher showed.

If you think there's nothing new here, you have been lucky with your teachers. :evil:
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I take that to mean you've had some less pleasant experiences, MacMoto. Yes, there are some awful teachers out there on the loose.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. I have learned a lot of teachers who looked great, but didn't know why well enuogh to teach me the technqiue. Imitation can be a great way to learn. 8)
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've been lucky. Or df has educated me in a manner that I extract the lead of these moves. Either way knowing what to look for, being aware...that really is an important skill to have. :)
  7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Since I was a 10-left feet person, I had to learn technique, and what people haven't explained me, I understood later by practising and asking myself why I made mistakes... then, being the assistant of my former instructors was also of assistance, 'cause now I had to break all the moves down for complete beginners... do you know how difficult that is? People ask questions I've never thought of... And now, that I have my own school, it is even more challenging... still, I try and explain my students Salsa is about life and passion, not about patterns and show off...
  8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

That might be strange comming from me, but here is what I think...

Salsa really isn't about technique nor execution of patterns, however, every move has its technique, which many salsa instructors know not a thing about... they can talk a good dance, but they can't explain a good dance. Then they travel the world passing along what they don't know, in the form of a mind that says, I'm ready to teach because I can dance, hence, creating a frame of mind in their students that doesn't know the left from the right, yet can mimic a teacher to a "T"....
  9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

NOW WE ARE TALKING!!! ME loves this very much! Can I take your class squirrel... I just want to feel goose bumps over take my body when I look into someone eyes, with percussion telling me to become one!!! :D :D :D :D :D
  10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

This, my dear friends, is how cookie-cutter dancers get invented :wink: !
  11. squirrel

squirrel New Member

boriken... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am afraid you are far more advanced than I am...
  12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Not at all, I'm the average dancer, the only advance dance I do is that one of the soul, and that is because it doesn't care why/what/where/who/how as long as it is dancing. I can learn very much from you...
  13. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

Salsa is a street dance as you know. I thought that this has something to do with it. The young hotshot with the cool moves may not be the best teacher.

Some of the street dancers may not know how to teach the finer tuning aspects. They may do it by instinct but teaching it to students is a different matter.

How many teachers today teach timing and musicality especially in club group lessons?

I know both Edie and Josie do!