Satin shoe dye - recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Jul 1, 2007.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

Hi Folks, a friend of mine has 2 pairs of white satin shoes and she would like to dye them (to the tan satin color). I have no experience in the domain. Anything you can share with me?

- where to get shoe dye?
    - what dye is good?
    - how to dye the shoes?

Thanks!
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

I have an odd way of dying shoes. I use RIT liquid dye in "tan", and I dye the shoes in a hot water bath. I know this sounds terrifying, to dump one's shoes in a nearly-simmering spaghetti pot full of liquid dye and water, but it works for me...

Actually, I buy flesh-colored satin shoes all the time these days, so I don't dye white ones any more.

Dylon is supposed to be good for doing shoes, you mix up the dye and sponge it onto the shoes (try using a cosmetics sponge).

I can get RIT and a limited number of colors of Dylon at my local non-chain arts & crafts store. You can get LOTS of dyes online at Dharma Trading Company (just Google it). There is a brand of dye at Dharma called Jacquard, I've used it to dye nylon lycra, ostrich feathers, and dance shoes.

I've also used something at Dharma called Dye-Na-Fast. It's a fabric paint that acts like a dye in that it doesn't dry stiff. It comes in a bunch of colors, and I've sponged it on to various pairs of shoes and had them come out quite well.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Haven't there been a dozen threads on this already?
  4. FatBaldGuy60

FatBaldGuy60 New Member

Women and shoes....what do you expect?

FBG
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

pro & his partner told me this weekend that they use regular old watercolors (you know, the ones that come in little squares) to mix up a color & dye their shoes. for flesh satin shoes that have become dingy, they insist it restores their look. and they use the watercolor on white shoes when they don't want the flesh tone.

still having hard time absorbing that... will have to try... watercolors... huh.
  6. mummsie

mummsie Member

I have used tea in the past. Just make up a strong brew - 2-3 tea bags in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes and then using a paint brush, just brush it on. I have also used coffee - gives a slightly different shade of tan :)
  7. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

A lot of yhe time the latte color will do. I used to work for Davids Bridal and that was the fall color of the dresses and we used to die shoes to match the bridal party for free. You might want to stop by your nearest Davids Bridal and see how leaniant the manager is about maybe selling you a bottle. I know my manager would.
  8. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

And this doesn't damage the bottoms of the shoes? And the hot water doesn't shrink them at all?

I'm getting ready to dye a pair of white satin smooth shoes black with RIT. I was told to use a sponge to apply the dye. Do you think the bath is easier, or somehow better?
  9. Laura

Laura New Member

No. In fact, it dyes them about the same color as the rest of the shoe, which I like.

Only slightly, and they stretch back out again.

It all depends what you want. The sponge method is definitely safer, but I feel the dunk-dye method gives more even color and has the added advantage of dyeing the soles.

HOWEVER, I've never done it in a color other than tan. I'd be a little worried about doing it in black because when you wear the shoes the black dye could come off on your feet. I never noticed the tan dye coming off, but after all it was tan!

Also, if you do this, take care not to leave the shoes in the water for too long. I basically dunk one in, count "one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three-Mississippi, four-Mississippi, five-Mississippi" and then pull it out. If it looks evenly dyed and the shade I want, I put it on newspaper and blot the insides and out with white paper towel, then I do the other one. They take about two whole days to dry.
  10. skwiggy

Thanks for the info. Since it's black, maybe I'll stick with the sponge method just to be safe. Not only do I want to keep the black from coming off on my feet, but the floor too! Plus then I won't have to wait two days for them to dry. I am impatient. ;)
  11. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I cover up the old color with rhinestones. I had a pair of black & white penguin shoes for jive. I wanted to change it to red and black since I wanted to wear a pair of red pants, which did not go well with the penguin pair. After some soul searching I covered the white parts of the shoes with light siam satin rhinestones. The shoe looks spectacular for jiving.
  12. skwiggy

I went the sponge-on route. They're drying now. It was very tough to get the strap dark enough, and eventually I just gave up on that part and left it dark gray-ish. But seemed easy enough to get even color, because I just kept reapplying until it all looked black. Plenty of black dripped onto the inside and the bottom. I wonder if I can get some of it out of the inside, once they're dry of course, with a cotton ball and nail polish remover? I would rather have that part come off on purpose than come off on my feet.
  13. skwiggy

So they looked nice and black while they were wet, and then they dried and looked gray, seemingly from the salt residue all over them (the package said to add salt to the dye, I assume to help set it?). I scrubbed the salt off a couple of times. Now the residue isn't visible, but the shoes look almost more silver than black. Not sure if it's still the salt or if it they just didn't dye all the way.
  14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

15. skwiggy

Don't think I'm not tempted! Seriously, do you think that would work, and look decent, and not get all over everything?
  16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

What do you have to lose? As it is, you've got salty silvery shoes. Can you really wear those?
  17. skwiggy

Well they don't really look salty so much anymore, so now they're more just silvery. which I guess isn't terrible. But good point. Maybe I'll stop off on my way back from my business lunch and pick up a sharpie!
  18. skwiggy

I guess the other option would be trying a different dye. But the sharpie seems like the no nonsense way to go.
  19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I used a Sharpie as a "base" before using black fabric paint b/c I wasn't sure if the paint would be opaque enough. I should add that these particular shoes were nude satin, then painted silver (Jacquard lumiere), then black (can't remember if it was Jacquard neopaque or dy-na-flow), than nude again (Jacquard lumiere). No problems with anything rubbing off where it shouldn't, though I've had these shoes for so long now that in areas that experience higher friction I can see the layers of colors that have been applied.
  20. skwiggy

Do you remember how the sharpie looked before you dyed over it?