saw feet

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by cam, May 8, 2013.

1. cam

cam New Member

The ball of my left foot hurts, from swing dancing. I've been doing a 2 or 3 times a week. I'm a lead, follows might find it's with their right.
    A couple months back I changed my style to be less flat footed, so now I'm dancing more on my balls, especially with the triple steps. This greatly improved my dancing, as i became more fluid, I used to find sometimes my feet felt like lead, and wouldn't always move fast enough. But now I think I'm paying the price. So exactly what part of one's feet is one meant to dance on?
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Even Ballet dancers lower to a flat foot.. Do NOT dance continually on the ball of the foot, You need to take a lesson with a Prof. to show you how, why, where and when to use"Ball " of foot .
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

The standardised technique of International Jive (Laird) calls for Ball, Ball, Ball-Flat on triple step chasses, and that is a good starting point for other swing styles using triple steps, but usually with the foot a little flatter while retaining a forward balance in the carriage of the body's weight over the foot.
  4. tangotime

I believe he could be( ?) discussing Amer.style "swing ", conceptually different .
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

and wear a latin heel not a smooth/ standard shoe or tennies
  6. cam

cam New Member

My question related mostly to Lindy Hop and closely associated dances. As for wearing a heel, most of my dance teachers seem to wear flat canvas shoes, like Converse All Stars. Although i can see having a shoe with a heel would certainly mean i would be less on my ball, but i thought it might interfere with my style a bit, and slow me down.
    Also, I realised last night at dance class that the rock step seems to put a lot of pressure on my ball, which is at least partially why my left foot hurts, but not my right.
  7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I thought the rock step wasn't a complete placement of weight onto the "rocking" foot. In other words, it's not a complete weight transfer. And there is no turning of the foot there, either. Is that how it's being taught?

Also, although there are heel pivots, most pivots are on the ball of the foot because the heal has to be free. Some "dance shoes" have a pivot spot specially designed to facilitate pivoting on a foot.

While your weight in general is supposed to be on the "balls" of your feet, your heel should also be down. At least in all the books I've seen, and all the classes I've taken (where they even bothered to talk about it!) Can we assume that you aren't so much up on your "toes" that you are putting excess pressure on the balls of your feet?

Doing swing in sneakers goes WAY back. But the last time I looked at Converse, for example, it was the same technology as the 1950s/60s shoe. I'm not in the business of evaluating shoes for dancing, but I wonder about things like arch support, padding, etc. that have been introduced into (some) shoes since those ancient times.
  8. tangotime

Actually Steve,the "rock " does have a complete weight change .
  9. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

You need to find a balance; putting some weight on the balls of your feet, but not too much. It's hard for me to give any advice without actually seeing how you are dance. Have an advanced lead or an instructor take a look at your dancing for some help.
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

You know, I just checked several texts, and... I've been doing it "wrong" all these years. On the other hand, seems to be working for me.