Search question

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

There was a great post on this forum (yes, it is possible), a loooong time ago (a couple of years possibly), which said something to the effect of:

"There are two types of dancer. Firstly, there's the young guy whirling around in the middle of the dance floor, continuously using a series of flashy and damatic movements, his partner with a rictus smile of terror on her face. Secondly, there's an old guy shuffling around the outside of the floor, just walking slowly. Yet strangely, the old guy always seems to have a succession of gorgeous young women draped around him, with expressions of bliss on their faces."

Can anyone help me with the original post? I've done a few searches but can't find it - I can't remember the exact phrasing :(

(And yes, for what it's worth, this was a "lightbub moment" for me, and it's influenced what I want to achieve with my dancing)
  2. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

That seems to say it pretty well. Of course, the young guys never believe it to be true, and the old guys can remember when they didn't believe it either.
  3. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

I'd say there are more types than that, but, yes, it's not about how you look but how you make your partner feel.
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

sounds like a post put up by the Grey Vote......
  5. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I just wish I could find the original post. It was, literally, inspiring.
  6. gregolam

gregolam Member

Why don't you try reposting what the whole thing was about in your own words? I mean it sounds like an interesting topic to jump into. You had me searching in earnest just with the little blurb you stuck in your OP but I can't find the post you are referring to for the life of me.

Who knows maybe you can come up with something equally inspiring for those of us still working on that "lightbulb moment".
  7. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

It sounded vaguely familiar, so i looked it up, and this might be what you are remembering

http://www.danceforums.com/showthread.php?p=514203

(i feel a bit strange doing this, and i am pretty sure it was much more impressive in your memory that what it actually is)

Gssh
  8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Aha!

Yes, that's the baby.

The relevant part of the post is:
    Fantastic post - again, thanks.

(I've made progress on the elderly and overweight part of it... :D )
  9. bordertangoman

THE beautiful girl is his great grand-daughter :tongue:
  10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Ah, be quiet, skinny :p
  11. bastet

bastet Active Member

I still think it's a great post. And it resonates well with this from Gavito:

“I take my lady for a walk. How do I walk? It is like walking with a lover in park. You will walk together in harmony and balance. I don’t know who adjusts to whom. All I know is that one does."

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

(I'm becoming more elderly and overweight every year).

;)
  13. bordertangoman

I'm going half the otherway, elderly and underweight...