Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I bet you haven't. All you hardcore dancers out there are too busy dancing to get dressed, load up the car, and see an actual film in a theater (DVD's of dance movies don't count. :lol: ) So prove me wrong, folks. Seen any good movies lately? :D
  2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I LOVED Kill Bill! Yeah for those that can't stomach it it's violent as all get out, but for a marital arts film addict like me it was just fun. Very stylish, a LOT of pop culture references, and GoGo is one of the coolest movie sidekicks ever!!
  3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Rabbit-Proof Fence... really quite good-- poignant. This is the last film I see in a theater-type setting... before that it had been months since I went to the movies.
  4. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

oh goodie- more stuff to answer (see procrastination thread)
    i can talk for hrs about this!!!
    pirates of the caribbean was the bomb(orlando bloom certainly didn't hurt it)
    matrix 1 and 2- so good but really creepy
    center stage- see it, watch it, memorize it like i did
    LOTR- need i say more
    Harry Potter- yes, yes, yes
    hocus Pocus- yah it's old but i just saw it.
    i could go on but i've got things to do.(see top line.)
  5. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

FINDING NEMO!!!! It was so great! It comes out on DVD on Nov. 4th :D
  6. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Finding Nemo - Can't wait to get the DVD!!!

Luther - Very real look at the Lutheran religion and how it came to be. Very though provoking and historical.

Hmm...to broke to see anything else, but I want to see Mona Lisa Smile when it comes out in December and Harry Potter III next June.
  8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Bowling for Columbine was WEIRD! It had some "wow, can't belive they are talking about this" moments, should see it.
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I think that movie is very telling.
  10. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

ummm...
    I saw Spellbound. soooo good (documentary about the national spelling bee)
    I also saw Camp which was really amusing. (Think Fame in a camp setting, but cuter and more down to earth)
    and American Splendor was great, especially if you're a comic book reader.
    And Pirates was hysterical. You see, my friends and I thought the movie would be awful, and we also think we're really funny :roll: , so we took some bottles of coke and rum to the movie to drink whenever anyone said anything cheesy or lame, believing that any movie would be great after that. But the movie turned out to be incredibly good, so we changed the criteria to when Johnny Depp acted hot or gay, which was every scene...
    I also saw Y tu Mama Tambien again... mmm..
  11. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

Luther was ok, but you should study the facts before seeing it distorted by hollywood.
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I also saw "Y tu Mama Tambien" this past week, but on cable on the Independant Film channel. My favourite channel as the movies shown are not the usual bland nonsense. There is a nice variety. I don't usually have time to watch movies at the cinema so I just wait for them to come out on cable, record them and then watch them at my leisure.
  13. pygmalion

I heard a story about spellbound on NPR. Supposed to be very good.

Also the name of an old movies (late 40's sometime) with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck. Worth a watch.

Had anybody seen Brother Bear? I try to check out all the G-rated animated films. Oh, and by the way, the local theaters are already advertising for Lord of the Rings, Return of the King. YES! :D
  14. bouncybouncyweee

yes, I saw the original Spellbound. It's a Hitchcock movie! Very good, but you have to acknowledge the hilarity of the "special effects" (Skiing down a slope in front of obvious blue screen... hee hee.) Not nearly as good as other hitchcock films though.

Speaking of Gregory Peck, you must love the movie (and AMAZING book) To Kill A Mockingbird!!
  15. pygmalion

One of my Favorite movies of all time. My family actually has a recipe for "Boo Radley cake" -- the cake we make every time we're going to watch To Kill a Mockingbird together. :D
  16. bouncybouncyweee

That has got to be the fluffiest thing I've ever heard! I haven't seen it in sooo long now...

Ok, so where are the musical dorks? anybody up for Cabaret?
  17. pygmalion

Hey! Fluffy is good. :D

Cabaret I didn't get. But there are a lot of great musicals out there. :D
  18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Don't fret Jenn, for Lily "fluffy" is a compliment of the highest order!
  19. bouncybouncyweee

yesssss!

Jonathan, now official DF bouncy translator, you are fluffy too! Except for the whole evil losing weight thing. That's not fluffy.
  20. suek

suek New Member

Just saw Pieces of April. Good, great performances by Patricia Clarkson and Oliver Platt. Katie Holmes (I think that's her name) is the lead. Good story.

Jenn, you didn't get Cabaret? Sigh. Although the movie is weak. Saw the revival on Bway about 4 years ago with Alan Cumming. OMIGOD. Changed my life. Dark. Unbelievable.

Mockingbird is also one of my faves.

Did you see Lost in Translation? Very good.

Since I have no plans for Thxgiving and there won't be any dancing (too bad) that day, I'm thinking about catching up on movies. Someone said it on an earlier post: Since I've been dancing, I just don't go to as many movies any more (who wants to sit for two hours when one could be dancing?).

Here's a fun thing: the five movies you'd take to a desert island.

My top five are Godfather 1 and 2 and I'm stuck as always for 3,4 and 5. Candidates include: Some Like It Hot, All About Eve, Bang the Drum Slowly, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Jesus' Son, Drugstore Cowboy, Born Yesterday, Bells Are Ringing, Deer Hunter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Manchurian Candidate, Kiss of the Spider Woman, French Connection, Bullitt, Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, Double Indemnity, Taxi Driver, Wuthering Heights, Duck Soup, Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, Taps, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Arsenic and Old Lace, Notorious...to name a few. Clearly my desert island better have a video store.
    This was fun.