Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

I loved the movie Cabaret!

But I understand how it might pale in comparison the the play. I will say though, it's one of the VERY FEW movie musicals that actually works on film. WestSide Story= BAD on film!

My five movies, hm?

Beauty and the Beast...

and then I'm lost. I mean, there are so many, and considering that I watch a total of about... 14-18 hours of the screen a month... it shows you how often I like to be in front of the screen. I despise television, and won't have a working one in the house, except for the DVD capabilities. I do love movies though!

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I agree...I also did NOT get Cabaret.

Just wanted to FYI everyone...there's a new DANCE MOVIE coming out in early Decemeber called Honey. It stars the Dark Angel actress, Jessica Alba. Not sure what it's about, but if it's dance...it's gotta be good!

I'll have to get it added to the movie section of my site!

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just saw "Bug's Life" Friday as I sat home giving my right ankle a break. Pretty good.

Also this is not a movie, but a cable TV series...I saw "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy" yesterday night and the last ten minutes were hilarious. I was rolling around with laughter, and rolled right onto the floor!! LOL.

4. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I haven't seen this yet, but my friend says it's the most hilarious show she's ever seen. What channel is it on?

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's on Bravo, and it is hilarious. I'll never get over the time they waxed some guy's back! :D Classic TV moments! :lol: :lol:

6. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I don't know whether to say ouch or eww!

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Great show! I love it! :D

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Let me tell you one movie "NOT" to get . . .

"Boat Trip" with Cuba Gooding. I heard him in an intervue once, saying that he would "never ever make a movie that his kids couldn't watch."

Our 12 year-old picked it out, and because we remembered hearing what Gooding had said in the intervue, agreed it was OK. The box said "Not Rated," which should have told us something.

This movie was bad . . . language, content, and nudity . . . I seriously doubt that his kids would be allowed to watch it.

We turned it off within the first 30 seconds of the movie. I'm no prude, but my son will not be exposed to this stuff. He can make that decision on his own after he turns 18.

9. dancersdreamland

:bouncy: NEW DANCE MOVING COMING SOON!!! :bouncy:

Title: Honey

Expected Release Date: December 5, 2003

Official Site: http://www.honey-movie.com/

Genre: Drama/Romance

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for drug content and some sexual reference

Plot (taken from www.imdb.com): Honey (Alba) is a sexy, tough music video choreographer who shakes up her life after her mentor gives her an ultimatum: sleep with him or be blacklisted within their industry. - I personally think this plot synopsis is an understatement. Checkout the trailer at the office site. The movie looks to be full of hope, passion, and DANCE!!!!

Choreographer: Laurie Ann Gibson

Characters:
    Honey...Jessica Alba
    Chaz...Mekhi Phifer
    Benny...Lil' Romeo

Notes: There are TONS of dancers in the crew! Should be a boogy good time!

10. jon

jon Member

Master & Commander. Weir does not capture the scope of Patrick O'Brian's marvelous work, and barely touches on the complexity of the Aubrey-Maturin relationship at its core. But within the constraints of a Hollywood movie, he's done a fine job.

11. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

not to mention electricity! But I believe if the desert island has cocnuts then you should be ok ;)

:lol:

12. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Considering the amount of material in that series, and the fact that not everybody in the theatres will have any sort of background about Napoleonic-era naval practice that's hardly surprising. I'm looking forward to it anyway.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that novels generally should not be made into movies (LOTR notwithstanding) as there is just too much material there. Some of the best movie adaptations have been of short stories eg Bladerunner. The length is right.

Cheers
    Sarah

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So LOTR is really worth seeing? I never see movie adaptations of books, unless I see the movie first...but, perhaps I'll see LOTR then...

Along the same vein of thought...I never see any sequels of movies. I saw a couple, but never really liked the sequels compared to the first movie. Any fantastic ones out there that shouldn't be missed?

14. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I hear that the second Godfather is better than the first.

15. dancersdreamland

The second Harry Potter movie is just as AWESOME as the first!

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The Empire Strikes Back is widely regarded as the best of all the Star Wars movies...

17. pygmalion

Anything after Jaws ... thumbs down.
    Anything after Friday the thirteenth ... thumbs down.
    Anything after Father of the Bride ... thumbs down.
    Anything after Halloween ... it depends.
    Indiana Jones ... first movie great, third movie great, second movie, huh? Why did I bother to take the day off to see the premier? :? :lol:

18. pygmalion

I saw School for Scoundrels today. It had a weird, ironic kinda humor. Not sure I'd call it good. Weird, kinda dark, self-consistent and really well-done, I thought. Not my kind of humor, though. And, to make it all worse, there were two ladies sitting near me who thought everything in the movie was side-splittingly laugh-out-loud funny. After about half an hour, I wanted to throttle them both. That part of the experience was pretty funny, in retrospect. :lol:

I will say that Billy Bob Thornton really impresses me, as an actor. everything role I've seen him play has been totally different from every other and executed believably. He's a good actor, IMO.

19. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I just saw The Illusionist, and I really enjoyed it! Best movie I've seen in a while.

Does anyone know if School for Scandal follows Moliere's play at all? Loosely?
    It must have some relation, I'd think.

20. pygmalion

No idea about the play. Hmm. :?

The trailer for the illusionist looked ... suspenseful. Maybe I'll put that on my list for next weekk :cool: