Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well usually dangerous to see the movie after the book, but I liked the movie having never read the book
  2. motardmom

motardmom New Member

Memoirs of a Geisha is one I've been wanting to see but haven't yet. It's on video now, no? (I don't want this guy at my house... lol)
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nearly 2/3 thru matrix marathon -- finishing up the 2nd movie & onto the 3rd. it's been awhile. amazing how different i'm experiencing it from the last time i watched the trilogy. rich food for thought, that one...
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Children of Men was very dystopic. The end was a little disappointing, too. But it was quite engrossing.
  5. tj

tj New Member

Yeah, an action movie (or movies, in this case) with cutting edge effects, a relatively engrossing plot, and a whole lot of philosophy = a good movie in my book.

The idea of humans being machines but with biological software is an interesting one. Not being that well versed in that subject at the time, led me to do a bunch of follow-up reading afterwards.
  6. tj

tj New Member

Yeah, I agree w/you. Didn't have much to think about afterwards, though.
  7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I hope you enjoy it. We actually laughed out loud at parts--I don't do that very often. And did I mention that Hugh Grant is---yummy?;)
  8. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Why did they make these Japanese speak English in the movie? What do you think about that?
  9. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I'm guessing it was because the number of people who speak Japanese is far outstripped by the number or people who speak English. (Speaking from a marketing standpoint...) Japanese is a wonderful language... but...
  10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

As a form of torture?

From "Moscow on the Hudson": Tell me, after speaking English all day, does your mouth hurt too?

Years before in college, a friend from Yugoslavia had said that when she was learning English in school her mouth hurt after every English class.

But seriously, I thought that the movie was made for the English-speaking market. If they were targeting the French, then the actors would have been speaking French.

Trivia learned from PBS' three-part biography of Buster Keaton: They used to shoot the same film several times, each time in a different language. Supporting parts would be played by native speakers, but the lead actors were in each version, having learned their foreign lines phonetically. I once saw such a film, Laurel and Hardy in Spanish.

No movies to report. No one to go with. No time to rent one and be sure I can watch it that same day. So whatever I can catch on HBO or Showtime.
  11. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I guess that is why. But I think the movie lost something because of that.
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Maybe because not all actors spoke Japanese? Besides, the target audience was English-speaking.

It was nice, though, with the original "Shall we dance" that they made subtitles instead of dubbing it. I think it preserved some cultural feel of the movie, which would have been lost otherwise.
  13. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Exactly my point.
  14. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Not just the cultural feel, but also the sense of the dialogue would be lost. I found the mixing of English into the Japanese to be interesting.
    Tamako-sensei would sometimes count in English, sometimes in Japanese. Plus her "slow, slow, quick quick". And Mia's [name?] final invitation in English of "Shall we dance, Mr. ___?" (sorry, forgot his name) would have also been lost if it had been dubbed.

Years ago I saw a French movie that had been dubbed into English. In one scene, the guy meets with his tutor for an English lesson. Needless to say, the whole scene didn't make any sense at all to an English-speaking audience.

Similarly, I saw Cabaret in Germany dubbed into German. Remember when he first meets Sally and she stumbles through broken German before bursting out in English that she's just dying for a cigarette. Same thing in the German version, only she goes from broken German to fast and fluent German.

I can't understand why people hate subtitling so much. The only disadvantage I see to it is that when I'm watching one at home I have to keep my eyes on the screen, whereas if it's in English then I can work on something and still follow what's happening by listening.

Up-side to subtitling: One Scandanavian country -- Sweden, I think -- shows programming from other countries all subtitled, even cartoons for the children. They have one of the highest literacy rates.
  15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Yes the main characters were played by Chinese actresses -- casting was very much a marketing decision (use well known faces rather than getting Japanese actresses to play the roles), and that made it impossible to shoot the movie in Japanese.

In the last couple of months I saw Apocalipto (not a word of English), Babel (English, Spanish, Japanese, Berber, Arabic, French) and Blood Diamond (English, Krio, Mende, Afrikaans). Surely the English speaking audience is getting more used to reading subtitles now?
  16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

One problem I have with subtitles, is that sometimes I have to strain my eyes too much to read them. They're usually in the bottom of the screen. If something gets into that area, which is same color as the titles... Maybe it is more of a problem for me because I am nearsighted. I don't remember this being a problem in "Shall we dance", but I remember having an issue with this when I watched "White" from "Blue, White and Red" trilogy.
  17. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I remember encountering that problem in the movie "Midway" (I'm pretty sure, or else "Tora, Tora, Tora"). Toshiro Mifune as ADM Yamamoto was giving a speech in his dress white uniform and the white subtitles just blended right in.

I suspect poor reading skills/semi-literacy is why a lot of people don't like subtitles. Myself, I want to hear that other language, but then I started college as a language geek. I got a lot out of seeing "Z" the first week it was out, since it was subtitled then, even though I was only in my first year of French at the time. And having seen "Das Boot" at least once before it was forever dubbed (I've never found it again in German). And having heard at least one line of Shakespeare in the original Klingon (... no, wait a minute ...).

When you see the movie subtitled and know at least something about the language, then you can catch what's really being said rather than only the translation. And you can hear the actor's own voice and voice quality. A lot of dubbed voices do not convey that same quality. For example, when I saw "Spiel's noch mal, Sam" ("Play it again, Sam") dubbed into German, they had given Woody Allen a deep masculine voice. His neurotic whining is part of his humor.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Any one of a number of reasons. Midway. Or Iwo Jima. Fat Man. Little Boy. Etc.
  19. Corne

Corne New Member

yes, MQ, little miss sunshine was cute and a good movie.I really, really, liked the memoirs of geisha movie.Anybody saw "Babel" movie ? Only opening this friday here in my home country. It has an age restriction of 16 and rated as LN (bad language,nudity) present in the movie. Anybody care to comment on this ?
  20. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I've seen lots of Matt Damon movies lately. :) Love that guy.

So:
    Good Will Hunting - re-seen it like the 5th time - mmm... yummy.
    The Talented Mr. Ripley - I am truly in love with this movie!
    The Bourne Identity - nice and relaxing (have seen it before, but still like it)
    The Bourne Supremacy - nice as well
    Ocean's 12 - boring, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon kept me there (they both are attractive...).
    The Good Shepherd - enjoyed it immensely
    The Departed - liked it

Also, I've seen:
    Babel - dissapointing
    Apocalypto - could not finish watching it, qualifies as one of the most boring movies for me

I wanna see Stomp the Yard. Seems to have some nice dancing.