Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I can hazard a number of guesses. But that is all they are, guesses. And none of them would come anywhere close to warranting her actions which demonstrate such immense hatred towards me.

Obviously, you had not been paying any attention. Any kind of honest discussion with her is impossible. She despises me. She can't stand to be in the same room that I'm in -- several times we'd be somewhere (at a big dance with over 200 people) and one person would show up whom she had decided that she couldn't stand and she'd immediately insist on leaving; that's the kind of person she is. One time, that I know of, I showed up at a crowded venue she happened to be at -- I never saw her, but she did see me -- and, a mutual acquaintance told me, she was furious that I would dare to be there. You also obviously missed the scene where I did ask her for an explanation and she marched around the room head thrown back in gleeful malicious laughter glorying in the pain that she was causing. Or when I had been invited to the house for our son's graduation from police academy and I tried to offer a simple polite common-courtesy thank-you for letting me be there and she not only refused to hear it, let alone accept it, but also made some kind of odd hand gesture that seemed to be a cross between flipping me off and bidding me to get the hell out of there as fast as possible. Or when she called me because she needed the admin password for the PC (even though I had made sure to give it to her before I left) and as I was trying to spell it for her she launched into some kind of sick mind game of deliberately misspelling it (eg, I'd give her an "s" and she'd insist is was a "v").

Now, please explain to me how you could possibly imagine that she would even begin to allow me to "sit down with [her] and explain [my] plight truthfully and ask her for the explanation."

As I had said (and you obviously also did not notice), she would have to undergo a drastic transformation before such an event could possibly occur. Should she ever undergo such a transformation, I will be ready to discuss it with her. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
  2. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Obviously!

Now I wonder what you did to get such intense disdain and hatred from a woman.
  3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Join the club! Starting to see why I'm so baffled by it all? And ready to second-guess everything that I might say and do as being devastatingly wrong. And being scared so dungless of any new relationships because either a) I'll destroy it too in the same clueless manner or b) (horror of horrors) what if my ex turns out to have been normal (meaning that I'll encounter the same thing in any relationship I try). Even if b is not true (I do not really think that it's true and I certainly that it's not), there's also the oft cited tendency to unconsciously seek out the same kind of person as the ex.

I forget what show it was on TV, but a male character was offering sage advice to the other males, something to the tune of:
    In your first marriage, you make lots of mistakes. Your second marriage is worse, because you're trying to avoid those mistakes and you end up making even worse mistakes. Now the third marriage, there you have a chance to get it right.

So knowing why would help me immensely to try to correct my flaws and to not waste time and energy and to not cause even worse mistakes by constantly second-guessing what's wrong with me. I do know that I did something(s) wrong, but I don't want to be sidetracked on trying to correct something else that isn't wrong.

In the meantime, I just want to avoid that entire quagmire altogether.

PS
    Sorry, y'all. Wrong thread for this. But this is where it developed.

And now we return to the regularly scheduled programming.
  4. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

La Belle Noiseuse . It took two days to finish. Almost four hour movie....
  5. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

Cache. I did not know anything about the incident in1962, which was mentioned in the movie briefly. In my opinion, the incident that 200 Algerians got drowned in the Seine is huge, but I could not find specifics of it online. Maybe I was not looking in the right direction. If anybody knows, please share.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well neither are new, but I recently saw de-lovely and in addition to adoring kevin cline I am very intrigued by the level of devotion in such an unconventional sort of love story...i found it compelling....also saw bridget jones, and while it wasn't earth shattering, as a curvy girl, I resonated and enjoyed it....I also find hugh grant extremely sexy
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I watch Bridget Jones and think how beautiful she looks in that film--sooooo much prettier than when she's all skinny.

Hugh...blech. Now, Colin Firth...mmm...
  8. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Saw "Saving Private Ryan", again. First time for the SO, but she didn't say much.
  9. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Saw the "Bridget Jones" movie a ways back, it was ok.

Renee Zelleweger is more than just ok. :raisebro:
  10. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to admit I watched Borat. OMG. My husband watched it the night before and I heard him laughing the entire time. I don't get it. Well, other than that shot of him in that "sling" bathing suit.

Took my dd to see "Meet the Robinsons". Yawn. Nap time for mom.
  11. fascination

cannot watch other than btwn my tightly closed fingers over my eyes
  12. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

I'd rather go see the new TMNT movie over Meet the Robinsons.
  13. Peaches

Refuse to watch it. I saw my grandfather's facial expression when he saw a preview of it--and he made the comment that he lived it so he didn't need to see it all over again. If it's that realistic, I can't handle it.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

see, now i'm puzzled when you make remarks like that because you are a self-described aficionado of the stick-figure look...:shock:
  15. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

She was very good about watching it even though she wasn't sure she'd like it, and I warned her in advance of the one scene towards the end where the German that Hank's character freed earlier is ... well ... not sure there is even a easy way to say it ... slowing driving a knife into one of the Americans. Not a pretty scene. The SO looked away during this scene upon my advice, and returned after it was over.
  16. fascination

that's sort of me too...having been a grief counselor for years, I don't really need to be more exposed
  17. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Last good film I saw (rented via Netflix, which totally ROCKS!) was... "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...Spring". Beautiful, slow, zen sorta film (Korean). If you like foreign or thoughtful sorta films, you might like this. Beautiful cinematography.
  18. Peaches

Beautiful is beautiful...when it comes to other women, although I do tend to like stick-ish the way some guys have a preference for light or dark hair. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate all body types.

I strongly prefer the stick look for myself, in theory.
  19. fascination

me too...though I have never seen it and am apparently highly resistant to it
  20. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I don't mind zen sorta film, but I need to be in certain mood to enjoy that kind of movie. For example, I am glad that we watched La Belle Noiseuse , but boy, didn't it feel like finishing a task? Before I married, I had a lot more time and movies were something I always look forward to. Now it is something to kill time, like when we are too tired to go to dance practice.