Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i go thru phases... i may not watch anything for months on end, and then get into a jag where i like settling in to watch something late at night -- might be after practice or lesson, or just a night off to recoup.

have been in late-winter movie jag, but with the warm weather on the rise i know myself... am gonna become a dancing & practicing machine again & i'll forget all about passive entertainment.

2. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Speaking of relatively early Faye Dunaway with good leading men--check out 3 Days of the Condor. Seems a little naive these days, but it holds up well. Really strong supporting performances by Cliff Robertson and Max Von Sydow.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Joyeux Noel

Rented and watched this last Sunday.

About a Christmas truce between German, French and British soldiers during WWI who not only ceased fire, but emerged from their trenches and celebrated Christmas together. Perhaps this movie has its embellishments, but something like this really did happen.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I'm not a Daniel Steel fan, but I liked her movie, Jewels. It's two parts, but it's so interesting. And I liked how it had some history to it too, that was neat. ;)

5. Genesius Redux

I've finally been watching Babylon 5, which I never saw when it was on television. That show rocks!

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

How far have you gotten? Far enough to start picking up on parallels with Lord of the Rings?

BTW, when JMS was developing the show and getting ready to produce it, he was on the on-line services promoting it; I came across him on CompuServe. The use of the term "lurker" on the show (for the transients who live much like homeless people on the lower levels of the station) was an acknowledgement to the CompuServe lurkers he was pitching to.

Also, he had envisioned it from the start as a five-year story. His stated reason was to invoke the "Star Trek" effect*. It was launched on the fledgling PTEN network which fizzled after a few years. The network that inherited them decided to cancel the show at the end of its fourth year, so they had to basically bring to conclusion as much as they could at that point, hence the episode, "Sleeping in Light", which takes place 20 years later. But then they were given their fifth year after all.

In the LA/OC area, it was carried on UPN 13. It was said that somebody high up in the company hated the show and didn't want to air it. Instead, they scheduled it for 5AM, so I put my VCR to work. Well, that entire late-night block from midnight to 6AM is sponsored by every sleazy enterprise imaginable yet still airable. The first episode to air was filled with all kinds of phone-sex ads. The next week, those ads were gone. I'm sure that a lot of people watched that show with their kids and so the station got a lot of complaints.

Check out the site, Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5, at http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html. Among the resources there is a list of episodes, each with a synopsis, analysis, and notes written by JMS. Do not read ahead of your viewing if you fear spoilers.

"Yes." (Kosh)

*The Star Trek effect.
    I witnessed that, too. During the second season of the original show, it was announced that the show had been cancelled. This triggered a massive letter campaign from fans that caused the network to relent and renewed it for its third and final season -- increased network "help" (read "micromanaging interference") is blamed for the poorer quality of the shows.

Star Trek was immediately picked up for syndication, which is where its fan base grew immensely (I wanted to say "exponentially", but don't have the stats to back it up), until the studio saw that it would be feasible and profitable to make the Star Trek movies. Which led to a new show, TNG. Which led to more shows and more movies as the franchise grew and ended up lasting for 40 years (BTW, read wikipedia for info on a new movie, Star Trek 11, so news of the franchise's demise are premature).

On CompuServe, JMS often invoked this history of Star Trek as his reason for going for a five-year story. The Star Trek franchise grew in syndication and it had made it into syndication because it had run for three seasons. If it had only run for two seasons, then that would be too few episodes for syndication; you don't want a syndicated show run daily to start repeating episodes too soon. A show needs at least three seasons for it to have enough episodes for it to be syndicated.

So he wanted to shoot for five seasons, hoping that gave him a better chance to have at least three seasons so that Babylon 5 could live on and grow its fan base in the next life of syndication. Hmm. Didn't quite work out as he had planned, did it?

Sig Line I found: "Guns don't kill people. Class 2 phasers do."

BTW, I've heard that "Heroes" also has a five-year story line laid out for it.

PS
    Have you noticed the role that religion plays in the show? And the very thoughtful and largely positive treatment it receives?

JMS is an atheist.

7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Also, Gen, does your collection include the movies (made for TV)?

Definitely watch "The Gathering" first, since that was the two-hour pilot film.

You might want to wait on "In the Beginning" until you've seen the first three seasons, possibly most of the way through season four. It's a pre-quel which depicts many scenes that are mentioned during the series, such as Sheridan's destroying the Minbari ship during the Earth-Minbar war. The episode list on Lurker's Guide may give an indication of when it aired in relationship to the episodes.

8. Genesius Redux

Specific parallels? Not yet. I'm at the end of the second season.

Ah, so we do get to see the showdown between G'Kar and Londo....

I'm fond of the original series, and a number of the movies with the original cast. I used to watch Next Gen religiously, but it seemed to me to be already heading in the direction of corporate glitz. Well-acted, well-directed, well-written, I never really developed a love for those characters.

Yeah, I have. IMO, if "religion" is a way of contemplating the unknowable mysteries of the universe and coming to an understanding of our own ways of perceiving them and our own existence, there's no such thing as a true atheist. It seems to me like the implicit religion of the series has a decidedly Taoist or neo-Hindi slant to it. I thought the idea of the doctor's religion (I think he called himself a "foundationist" was a cool idea, and pretty close to the "religion" implied by a lot of Physicists when they get mystical.

The "mystical" or "spiritual" side of the human psyche, I think of as that part of us which delves into mysteries, uncertainties, inconsistencies. As we continue to advance theories to explain them, the mystical frontier continues to expand, so even with advances in modes of scientific understanding, we never lose that "mystical" side.

And there is always that element that extends beyond the known universe that we cannot, by definition given our current technology, comprehend. If the known universe is comprised of that which we can perceive, that part of the universe that will always lie outside our perception is in the realm of the mystical. Even if we eventually become one with all of creation, perceive the whole as a whole, the question will still be--as in many Indian creation stories--what lies outside the self. And new universes will be brought into being to answer the question of solitude.

9. Genesius Redux

Thanks for the heads-up. I never saw the pilot, but I'm caught up enough to know what happened there. I'm only through the second season.

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You will need to see it, since it features the first station telepath who had to leave due to the events. She returns later and events surrounding her tie back to the pilot.

Important character.

One of the early LOTR references was when one character warns another to watch the shadows, they move when you're not looking.

And I forget when Marcus is introduced, but his comment was taken from the first meeting between Frodo and Strider.

BTW, we all loved Ivanova's character.

Wasn't that a great practical joke Sinclair and Garibaldi played on her? Making her think that she had slept through breakfast and was late for duty.
    There was a Russian B5 fan site and, needless to say, a poster picture of Ivanova was prominently displayed.

11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Took my son to Shrek 3 today. Not as good as the first one, but still quite funny. I think they covered all fairy-tale territory by now.

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Just watched The Godfather I and II (can you tell it's been a slow Sunday?). Had never watched it before. Good LORD. Amazing cast. One heck of a plotline. Coppola directing. Do I need more reason to be wowed? I would watch III right now if it weren't for the fact that I'm working tomorrow and it's a 3-hour movie.

T_E

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

III isn't quite as good, mostly because Sofia Coppola can't act for beans.

14. tj

tj New Member

Saw Spiderman 3 last week with 2 friends. It was the first time in ages where all three of us liked a movie.

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I wasn't that impressed - too long, too many villains. Still a good film, but not as good as I or II.

Yes, Sandman was great, but he didn't really add anything to the plot except as yet another villain with CGI effects. GG and Venom would have been enough I think.

16. tj

tj New Member

Yeah, I wouldn't call it an all-time great movie or anything, but certainly an entertaining movie. I also liked how they tied in several of PP's other love interests from the comic books w/o diminishing his relationship with MJ.

17. Twilight_Elena

Watched III today. Agreed about Sofia, though I didn't really mind her; I had all my focus on Pacino. For some reason, I liked him better in II. *shrug* Maybe it's just me. Oh, II was so good. I am torn between I and II for best Godfather part. *rant*
    Both Brando and DeNiro made for an incredible Vito. Holy hockey sticks! Now we're talking about acting! They both did the same accent as well. I was very impressed.
    Off to read The Silmarillion! (Admittedly, I jump from one cultural giant to the other, but I was inspired by a heated argument I had with my mother about how Tolkien created an incredible new world.) At some point tomorrow I'll watch A Streetcar Named Desire and On The Waterfront, because lately I'm doing a "back to the classics" kind of movie marathon. Brando just had to be part of it. Watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Sabrina" last week. It was Audrey Hepburn week. Not at all complete with just two movies, but I have a whole summer to make up for it.
    At some point, I want to watch "A Clockwork Orange".

T_E

18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ooooh, A Clockwork Orange.

You'll never think of milk the same way.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

was eying that one on our shelf yesterday... wondering if i have the fortitude for something that dark right now...mmm, probly not

watched girl with a pearl earring last night. enjoyed it better than the first time...

20. Twilight_Elena

Uh... okay. I'm guessing it's a "leave the gun, take the cannoli" kind of reference. You gotta see it to understand.

T_E