Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that TV and movie directors sometimes deliberately put in bad technology mumbo jumbo to annoy the geek viewers, then bet on how many people will call into the show to correct them. :p

2. Subliminal

That describes Wes Anderson in a nutshell. :)

3. Subliminal

Just saw Men in Black 3. (It's a weekend to catch up on movies.)

Loved it! One of my all time favorite series.

4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Saw Lincoln last night - great movie! Kind of like watching a period episode of "West Wing"...nice to know nothing has changed in politics since, well, ever.

Looking forward to The Hobbit in a few weeks and REALLY looking forward to Les Miserables, especially after watching the preview for it at Lincoln!

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

bleedin 'ell; that's a bit masochistic isn't it. I can't wait for Jude the Obscure the Musical!:rolleyes:

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The Descendants.... woah... what a wonderful movie. I had no idea what it was about, I figured it was som mafia type thing. Fine enough to have George Clooney in it, but I really don't appreciate movies about grown men running around hiding and fighting. The whole Bourne series bores me to death.

I was wonderfully surprised by The Descendants. Not at all what I expected.

chachachacat likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. A bit long, but not bad.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Life of Pi, yet? I'm wondering how true to the book they kept it...

9. Subliminal

Yeah. I think they tried to cram too many stories into it.

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Silver Linings Playbook. Not saying it's good. The "ballroom comp" is so ridiculous!!!

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The Hobbit is a comin'...

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

We'll be there Thursday night. :)

samina likes this.
  13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

"Frodo, you are my son"

"Nooooooooooooooooooo!";)

just messing with genres.....

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Skyfall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. pygmalion

Has anybody seen The Hobbit yet? My plan was to take DS last night and let him play hookie today ... until he failed a test. So he had to go to school today, and we're planning to see it tomorrow.

The NPR guy thought that the trilogizing (Yes. I know that's not a word.) of the book made the movies too long and with excessively prolonged battle scenes.

Anybody have an opinion? If not, I'll check it out and let y'all know tomorrow.

16. pygmalion

Just saw Guilt Trip. Loved, loved loved it. I don't know whether I'd call it poignant or sweet or neither, but it definitely was not the slapstick comedy I half expected. It made me think about the special bond between mothers and sons. I laughed a little and got misty eyed once or twice. I guess I'd just call it real.

I dunno what words to use. There's a What the Flick online review by Ben Manciewicz (the guy from At The Movies.) What I think of this movie is what he said. It will make you think of your Mom with fondness and exasperation.

17. pygmalion

Two words sum it up for me. Too long. *sigh*

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I saw Les Miserables a few nights back, really enjoyed it. Was very impressed with the attention to detail.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I loved everything but russell crowe...very shallow, with no nuance

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Me too, except for the fact that I don't think there has EVER been a water fall / spillway at the Île de la Cité in as seen in the scene where Javier commits suicide (the rear of Norte Dame is visable in the scene). He does make quite a thump as he hits that structure, instead of a nice splash in the water, but still.