Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Be careful what you ask for.

2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Saw "Hyde Park on the Hudson" on New Years Eve, Bill Murray does an amazing FDR!

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid (sprog's choice) never has a film left me feeling so nauseated. Do American kids really get off on humiliating each other so much?
    At least in Malcolm in the Middle, there was a degree of humour, and intelligence, and wackiness. But this could have been written by Beckett or Pinter...

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

There were two Wimpy Kid movies. I saw both, so I can't distinguish one from the other in my memory. I think you're talking about Rodrick Rules, the one that features Rodrick, the sadistic older brother. No, American kids do not get off on humiliating each other any more than kids anywhere else do. That's (supposed to be) the humor of the books and movies. The main character, Greg, is the Wimpy Kid trying to survive in an over-the-top, exaggerated, cut-throat middle school world. It's very sophomoric American humor. Even more sophomoric than the usual American humor. *grin*

There was a similar TV show. I can't remember what it was called. Umm... something like How to Survive the Eighth Grade. Similar idea. Middle school is supposed to be fun and safe but, especially if you're a nerd, it's a cutthroat world.

ETA: I googled, but all I found was references to yet another show on the same topic: Ned's Declassified: School Survival Guide. Same idea. Nerd trying to survive in the jungle that is an American middle school.

5. pygmalion

I hadn't heard much about this film until I saw Laura Linney's TV interview (on the Daily Show, I think.) It looks really good. I'll have to check it out. :)

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Saw "Gangster Squad" on the weekend...wanted to gouge my brain out with a dull spoon. What on earth possessed me...though must admit, had great style and some good acting. Sean Penn was creepily evil incarnate...

7. litonbarman

litonbarman New Member

Bells Are Ringing, Deer Hunter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Manchurian Candidate, Kiss of the Spider Woman, French Connection, Bullitt, Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, Double Indemnity, Taxi Driver, Wuthering Heights, Duck Soup, Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, Taps, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Arsenic and Old Lace, Notorious...to name a few. Clearly my desert island better have a video store.
    This was fun.

8. litonbarman

litonbarman New Member

Ok, so where are the musical dorks? anybody up for Cabaret?
    \"Love is the self-delusion we manufacture to justify the trouble we take to have sex\"
    -Dan Greenburg

9. pygmalion

Do you mean the original movie with Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey? I haven't seen that in years. It's been so long that I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to whether I even liked it. The last time I saw it I was like twelve and I saw it on a sad little TV. I'm a pretty big fan of musicals, though, so what the heck. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Oh yeah and welcome to the forums, litonbarman. :)

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I saw Cabaret when it came out in 1972 and then again the next year in M√ľnchen, dubbed into German. I'm not sure whether I've seen it since.

The dubbing made at least one scene odd. When he first meets Sally and she can't speak German so she's stumbling through her broken German until she finally bursts into English asking him for a cigarette. But of course dubbed in German that sounded a bit odd. They kept the original voices in the songs, which were subtitled with some changes, such as "too much pills and liquor" becoming "zu viel Pillen und Ficken" ("too much pills and sex").

11. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Musical theatre geek here! West Side Story, Chicago again recently for the zillionth time.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

last two movies were "42" and "the Butler"...enjoyed 42 most but both were good...not epic...but good

13. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

14. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Been forever ago, but saw Star Trek 2 in 3d. It was THE BOOBS. Moviegasm.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I recently saw Epic. :)

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:p..... oh yea...me too...took the nephew...cute enough...my daughter would have loved it...main character very much like her

17. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Watched Life of Pi last night. Fantastic flick!

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Saw Now You See Me last night. Quite entertaining.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

they are making a sequel

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So I've heard.