Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

That was very entertaining. :) I didn't see the twist at the end coming, truly didn't.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

me neither and im very difficult to fool!!
  3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Finally got to see it on DVD.

The ending was somewhat straight from Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, albeit with the Kirk/Spock roles reversed, plus no need for Star Trek III: Search for Spock.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

This is not a recent movie, but tonight I revisited Galaxy Quest on dvd.
    slhull.13, Hedwaite and mindputtee like this.
  5. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Just saw the latest Woody Allen’s movie Blue Jasmine.
    Woody Allen at his best.
    Deep, substantial quality movie.

Nobody is promised to be reach, wealthy and healthy forever.
    Very real.
    Cate Blanchett deservers the Oscar for her performance IMV
  6. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I watched Anna Karina the other day on HBO. The new one with Kiera Knightley. Anyone seen it? There is some really pretty synchronized waltz of sorts during the ballroom scene.
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - with Robert Downey Jr. on DVD. Love me some Robert Downey Jr.
  8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I have been following Woody Allen ever since "Take the Money and Run" in the 1960's. There he is, an escaped convict on the run with a wife and family to support, so he applies for a job with a company. He lies about everything on his application form (unfortunately not posted on imdb.com):
    Interviewer: I see here that you have experience operating a high-speed digital computer.
    Virgil (Woody Allen's part): Yes, that is correct.
    Interviewer: May I ask where you had gained this experience?
    Virgil: Yes. My aunt owned one.

Absolutely hilarious joke, since at the time computers were so expensive that the very idea that one's aunt could own one was absolutely ludicrous. Reminds me of Robin Williams' joke at the Roxy circa 1980 on HBO (paraphrased): "This is the standard joke about aliens back then. Of course, it wasn't so funny anymore after they had actually landed." Of course now everybody owns a computer.

Recently on NPR, a satirical segment, "Sandwich Mondays", featured the "Woody Allen" sandwich.
    I did not like "Deconstructing Harry" for its foul language (go figure), but it still had its good moments. Like when that character (?Robin Williams?) had lost his focus, so the solution was for his entire family to get glasses that caused them to lose their own focus to the same degree, thus keeping them in sync with the father. Then Woody Allen's character suffered the same loss of focus.

I'm waiting to see when Blue Jasmine will arrive on video so I can see it.
  9. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I saw it. That was the worst “Anna Karenina” movie that I have seen.
    Vronsky was presented as a village boy 10 years younger (sort of a famous poet with La Russ style) than Anna, not the aristocratic character defined by Tolstoy. The whole movie is set as grotesque, with 2 Russian peasant songs between the scenes.
    Only Karenin ( Anna’s husband) was true to character- the rest was a joke, farce, unacceptable interpretation of a famous tragedy.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Russian Lit major?
  11. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

No, just love classic literature.
  12. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Been awhile, but I'm on the movies kick from the other thread. Watched "One Last Dance" finally with the Swayzes. Okay, dance movies have a lot of fundamental flaws in dialogue, plot, etc.- and I just kind of take it in stride now, but this movie was just... really awfully sad AND sweet at the same time, if you checked your brain out of the experience.

Also saw War Horse and WAAAAAAH. I can't watch "loyal animal suffers a lot and is ultimately rewarded by reunion and happy" movies, because I cry buckets.

I saw Coffee Town, and it was actually pretty stupid/hilarious. Reminded me a little of Office Space.

Liked Behind the Candelabra, too, because of the costumes, sets, etc.

Hansel/Gretel was okay, but I didn't *ahem* get to see nearly enough Jeremy Renner.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Really? I thought Hansel and Gretel was really bad. Did you like Van Helsing too?
  14. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

No, didn't like Van Helsing. I just like Renner. It was "okay" only because two of my favorite actpeople were in it the same way the Christmas season is good only because of the seasonal snacks.
  15. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Saw "Gravity" in 3-D today. Being the space geek that I am, I really enjoyed it. Lots of inaccuracies and the laws of physics were pretty much ignored but cool movie none the less. Movie did point out one true-ism that I worry about in real life; our geosynchronous orbit is really just one or two orbital conjunctions away from a chain-reaction of collisions.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Went to AMC theater, on a Saturday night (be still my heart DH NEVER does this and he suggested it!), and watched "Last Vegas"...we have not laughed that hard and throughout an entire movie - in a long long time. Theater was packed. Real life comedy is always better!
  17. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

This is not a new one, but Matchpoint is one of my favorites. Re watched last week for the fifth time, directed by Woody Allen and with the yummy Jonathan Rhys Meyers- dark, twisted, stylish. Love.it
    MultiFaceted Dancer likes this.
  18. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Went and saw "Lone Survivor",,,,caught his interview days later on a talk show. Dedication to his brother Frogmen beyond question.
    Planning on seeing "Saving Mr. Banks"..today with BFF and co-worker now retired. I'm giddy about this one, as a 5 year old my dad took me and little brother to the actual Premier of the Mary Poppins movie in Hollywood - YES, that one.
    Excited that the first show of the day is only 6 bucks. YIPEEEE.
    MultiFaceted Dancer likes this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Again, not a new one, but saw Hurt Locker again- Jeremy Renner why do you have to be so sexy?!
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Saw both Lone Survivor and Captain Phillips within a few days of each other. Makes me appreciate my frogman cousin all the more.