Selling on eBay: Tips and Info

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Twilight_Elena, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I have decided to try my hand at selling on eBay, since I have a pair of brand new Melissa's (see signature) that won't sell otherwise. I also have an older pair in mind that could perhaps sell.
    I know many of you have sold many dance-related items on eBay, so any suggestions, tips or anything that would help?

T_E
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I don't know how laws work in your neck of the woods, but in the US if you charge for "shipping" then you can only charge what it actually costs you to get the product delivered.

If, however, you charge for "shipping and handling" then you are allowed to charge more than the actual freight costs. You know, a "handling" fee. Even if all you did is put it in the box and tape it shut.

Maybe useful, maybe not.
  3. Twilight_Elena

I had never heard of that. :shock: Thanks, Peaches!

T_E
  4. Twilight_Elena

Is there something you would like to see in a listing of a pair of dance shoes? What would you like to see in the photos?

T_E
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How about the shoes?
  6. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I fear that since there is a metric buttload of dance shoes on eBay now, yours will get "lost". Too many people are very happy to buy the cheap-o brands. Have you tried listing on ballroomdancers.com? They don't have a whole pile of shoes there. I've sold several pairs via this route.

But, to answer your original question: when looking for shoes on eBay, I want: clear photos (at least a side view) and measurements (esp. heel height); a gallery pic is nice; and not getting screwed on shipping/handling. So manys sellers there are offering dance shoes for say $25 with $20 shipping. Duh!
  7. Twilight_Elena

Ballroomdancers.com don't seem as safe as eBay... Thoughts?

T_E
  8. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I would say to try to use lots of different words that could apply to the product you're selling (i.e. "ballroom dance", "latin", "dancesport", "dance competition", "international brand"), both in the title and description so that it will come up in people's searches.
  9. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

ebay advises to use only plain descriptive words in your title to make sure as many people as possible find your items. But you also have to get people to click on it, especially if there are a lot of similar items. I find as a buyer and even though I know better, I'm slightly more likely to click on an item that has some kind of emotive word in it. I think for dance shoes I'd respond to a word like "quality" or "professional" Do make sure you put the brand in the title, but I wouldn't bother with "Melissa."

If you can put up more than one picture, a picture of the soles will reassure people that the shoes are new, or if used, aren't trashed. For some reason, I also seem to be attracted to photos that have hardwood floors as the backdrop to the item.

Maybe that's just me, though.
  10. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

I should have specified that I meant more in the description. On Ebay you can type in a search to look through title and description. If the seller can weave whatever words apply to the item throughout the description, it's bound to come up in more searches. But yes, I agree with what you said about the title.