Sensual Rhumba Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NeoDevin, Nov 24, 2003.

1. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

I figured since we already have a thread for samba music, we should have one for rhumba too, since I love rhumba almost as much as I love samba. As I'm fairly new to dancing (had a total of 19 lessons so far, all group lesson), I don't have much in the way of music for anything. Any suggestions for good rhumba's would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There actually was a thread where people talked about rhumba music, though I cannot remember offhand where it was... But, I recollect some recommendations were:

Falling in Love - G. Estefan and Miami Sound Machine.
    Blessed - Elton John
    So Nice - Bebel Gilberto
    Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps - Doris Day

I personally have got some Turkish/Greek songs from the web a while back, that I like. Have no idea what the names are etc, though :(
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I think those were mine, but for really sensual Rumba two that come to mind are:

Sway - Julie London
    Besame Mucho - I've heard this by two different artists, but don't know who they are.
  4. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. One of my favorites is the theme from Goldeneye.
  5. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

I believe Diana Krall does a pretty good version of "Besame Mucho". Here are some of my other Rhumba faves...

Ricky Martin "Casi Un Bolero" (I just competed in the final round of Newcomer International Rhumba at the Ohio Star Ball this weekend and this was the song...so hot!)

Ana Gabriel "Eres Todo En Mi"

Son by Four "Puro Dolor"

The Tony Rich Project "Nobody Knows"

Berlin "Take My Breath Away"
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  6. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Other favorites in addition to those mentioned include:

- Se Acabo by Lucia Mendez (26bpm). Very sensual, sung with tremendous emotion. The title means "I am finished." Strict tempo piece from Casa Musica's Latin Obsession CD.

- Hey by Julio Iglesias (26bpm)

- Emotion by Destiny's Child (23bpm)

- The One You Love by Paulina Rubio from her new album Border Girl (23bpm). Any Paulina Rubio album is a complete joy for dancers. Tan Sola from her Paulina album is also a great Rhumba song.

- Loving You by Jennifer Lopez (24bpm)

Also, FWIW, I think Lila Downs does a much better job of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps." Very sensual, rich with a deeper Latin-style Rhumba flavor than Doris Day's version, but not easy to dance to because it's quite fast at 28bpm and because of the tempo complexity used in the song. The first few bars are sung with no instruments. But powerful, wow!
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

A couple more,

Disadvantages of You- Brass Ring.

For those of you who are old enough; remember this one from the Benson and Hedges cigarette commercial in the late 60's?

The Peanut Vendor - Mongo Santamaria.

It's a bit fast, but works for Rumba.
  8. redhead

redhead New Member

Besame Mucho is still the best.
    I also love the one from "Dance With Me."
  9. dolceamore

dolceamore New Member

I LOVE the song COLORBLIND by counting crows. i dunno if its sensual, but i love it! you should listen to it!
  10. Oscar

Oscar New Member

Vertical Expression of Horizontal Desire - Bellamy Brothers
    South of the Border - Dean Martin / Chris Isaak
    Ticket to Heaven - Dire Straits
    Are we in trouble now - Mark Knopfler
    Diesel Cafe - Bellamy Brothers
    Tequila Sunrise - Eagles
    When you're only lonely - J.D. Souther
    Cross My Broken Heart - Suzy Boguss

I like these. Was informed at another thread that they were Rhumbas. If anyone knows any more tunes with a similar rythm at any tempo let me know. Thanks in advance.
  11. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:) Hey all! I'm still trying to learn the difference between song styles in Latin (like Rhumba, Cha Cha, Samba, etc...), so this thread has given me some songs to look for and listen to differences! Thanks everyone!
    Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  12. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Sakura Kitty, you may find my ballroom dance music site helpful, because it provides additional details like bars per minute and links to song previews that will help you identify the differences between the music. There is also an article on helping you find the beat in dance music. www.dancesportmusic.com
  13. etchuck

etchuck New Member

On my rumba MP3 set

Falling Into You (Celine Dion)
    When We Dance (Sting)... it lasts 6 minutes (international preferably), so if you like to practice for a long time
    Sacrifice (Elton John), probably better for American style.

Thanks for the suggestions that I can search for the next dance I get to mix music for... :)
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Glad that this thread helped, and welcome to DF etchuck! :)
  15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

=^__^= Thank you Adwiz! New dancing websites make me happy! It's very nice too!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  16. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Hmmm, came across a new one today... "African Tango" by Adiemus...
  17. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

Ooh yeah! 8)
  18. chachagirlie

chachagirlie New Member

...a few more...

El Reloj - Jose Feliciano
    Amado Mio - Pink Martini
    Piramides de Amor - Triplets
  19. Pat

Pat New Member

This thread has been dormant for a while -- any new suggestions?

I'm looking for some really slow/sensual/sultry rumba music for a performance.
  20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

The Look of Love - Diana Krall