Shall We Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Jul 8, 2004.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Besides the outfits and his new partner's name (the beglittered "Tina Sparkle", if I recall correctly), the scene that really hit me was early in the movie. His obviously distraught mother is getting the refreshments in the kitchen and, just before rejoining the guests, she instantly transforms her face into this big beaming smile. Training clearly shows.
  2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I can think of two possibilities. And I will not identify which one is my projecting [grin].

1. The wife has him pegged as a complete non-dancer, incapable of ever learning nor of even ever acquiring any sense of rhythm. And any attempt he makes to start to learn, he is sure, will be met with derision and ridicule.
    2. He wants to surprise her with his new-found dancing skills.
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

Or there's (3), which would be the guy sees the dance teacher, takes lessons to get close to her, and the affair that does not blossom in the Japanese version does blossom in the American one. That would be really annoying, but I guess we'll have to wait and see -- or maybe Larinda's friend can give us a full report?
  4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I'm taping "Shall We Dance" right now (started the VCR just before leaving for work). I'd been looking for it our video rental without success; their catalog says they have it but I cannot find it on the shelf. So now I'll have my own copy to view this weekend (Salsa class tonight).

I departed just as he entered the studio for the first time (and has the impromptu "dance" with the woman at the door -- "Get out of my way!") What immediately struck me as strange was that young woman inside and he greeted each other with what sounded very much like the colloquial American English "hallo" (in Romanji it would be "haro"). Has Japanese adopted Americanisms to that extent?

EDIT:
    I watched it tonight and found that I had misheard what they had said. It was actually something like "ano", which was subtitled later as meaning "I thought". Actually, it seems to be used at ackward moments when you can't think of what to say, something like "Uh ... "

I was struck by the wholesale lifting of English dance terminology into the Japanese, including counting off in English -- though later they would also sometimes count off in Japanese. Funny, though, how their name for Vienese Waltz was a mixture of English and German: "Wiener Waltzu". And even the word for dance, "dansu", was written in Katakana, the phonetic script used mainly for foreign words.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That would make it a totally different movie. That would be like Bogie and Ingrid Bergman walking off into the sunset together at the end of Casablanca --- wrong!!! :x
  6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:x ..

this smiley is sooo funny :lol:

ehem escuza.. pls. continue [​IMG]
  7. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: You crack me up. :wink: 8)
  8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Gotta have that "happy ending"! [oh brother! -- sorry, I'm very agnostic about smilies; I never warmed up to them and in another forum they really screw up C++ code listings.]

I just caught the trailer on a rental video and one scene suggest that romance getting transfered back to his wife (She: "But I can't dance."; He: "We've been dancing for 15 years."). Though, of course, the scenes in trailers get lifted so much out of context that they usually end up describing a completely different movie.

BTW, the original is on tape at home. Now just need time to watch it. The only bummer about foreign films is that I must watch them, not be working on something else at the same time and depending on listening to the dialog to know when to look. That means that I must carve out a dedicated block of time for the movie.
    Schedule: Mon -- WCS class; Tue -- Hustle, NC2S; Wed -- nothing, but the wife will be there to express her disapproval; Thur -- Salsa; Fri, Sat, Sun -- Camp Hollywood (but I'll be commuting home in the evening to let the dog in, so maybe then).
  10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Shall we have some trivia? 8) Someone here on DF has been photographed with the person who supplied something for the movie. Now, I wonder who and what that could be :roll: :lol:

No, it is not I. THAT would be too easy :lol:
  11. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

I saw a really early trailer quite a while back, and one of the interesting scenes (to me, who'd seen the original) was a spot where Gere's wife has just discovered him sneaking off to dance and is horribly upset that she hid this from her. The scene went something like this:

her: "why didn't you tell me?!"

Him: "It's...dancing..."

Made sense to me, but then again my family about disowned me when they found out about my new hobby (father is in construction, brothers are a marine and a fireman, all hunter/fisher types, so in comparison I'm not very masculine I suppose... :). But after a while my families impression of dance has changed to be more accurate, but the initial reaction was such that I have no problem imagining a 40+ year old man being ashamed to tell his wife that he was learning to dance.

And it definately had a happy ending (Richard not ending with J-lo, but with his wife of course). It was totally one of those trailers that showed the entire movie, but that seemed okay to me, not like the ending of romantic flicks is a suprise to anyone.
  12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

The friend's long-haired wig for the competition?
  13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: At least, not to my knowledge. :lol: There have been quite a huge number of topics started fairly recently on this particular subject. :wink: :lol:
  14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Saw some pictures very quickly in a magazine this past weekend of scenes form the movie or perhaps publicity shots. Jennifer Lopez with Richard Gere (gee, like they wouldn't show one of those), Lopez with a actual professional dancer (can't remember his foreign sounding name), and Gere with Susan Sarandon. The very brief article, if it can even be called such, mentioned that Lopez and Gere spent a significant amount of time taking lessons in preparation for the movie's dancing scenes.
  15. Jmatthew

Jmatthew New Member

Gere is an awesome dancer, at least as far as tap & stage stuff goes, not sure if he's ever done any ballroom/partner dancing though.
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

The movie was a bit hit here in Japan- it had love, humour, a bit of bittersweet and a lot of people could relate to it because a lot of people are going through the same thing here, namely, mid-life crisis, loneliness (although you have a family and success, you just quite aren't happy, etc). That movie hit the nail on the head for the Japanese menfolk. NOW, a Korean dramatic series "Fuyu no Sonata"(Winter Sonata) which came out about a year and a half ago has managed to captivate the hearts of a MAJORITY of Japanese women, most of which are fairly "estranged" from their husbands at middle-age. You should just see them! Starry-eyed, booking tours to Korea to see where the series was filmed, buying posters and cards of the male star(Pe Yong Ju) and watching the DVDs over & over again! One of my students (she's almost 60) has been to Seoul 3 times already this year!!!
  17. pygmalion

When I first saw the movie, I didn't dance, and I still found it wonderful. It wasn't about dance to me then. It was about ... finding meaning in life through connecting to other people, about intimate family relationships that aren't, about finding fulfillment not through one's work but through extracurricular activities ... It was a good movie on a lot of levels. I must say the quickstep scene (before he tripped on her gown) made me want to dance. It was a couple years later before I did, though.
  18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

The seeds must be planted before they can grow.

For me it was a Christmas party we went to with several friends. Everybody went out on the floor to dance and I was left sitting there alone at the table all night. I came out of that knowing that a solution needed to be found. Six months later, I started the after-work intermediate Salsa classes.
  19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

No one else wants to play :( [​IMG] :lol:
  20. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

Only because I have no idea who or what :(. Shoes? Costumes?
    :idea: A purple hat!? :lol: :lol: No? No purple hat in the movie? What a shame.