Shall We Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

I've heard that the Japanese original is much better. Have you seen it?

2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

The American verison is cute. Enjoyable for the sake of being a easy to watch comedy/drama. (dramady?)

The Japanese version is outstanding. You have to be willing to read subtitles (unless you speak Japanese) and it helps to understand a little about Japanese culture (the difference in an American man being embarassed to dance vs why a Japanese men is). I watched it before and after my trip to Japan and it was different the second time around, but both times equally incredible.

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

Confirms what I've heard. That's why I'm wary of US remakes of foreign films (I still haven't seen The Grudge and The Ring for this reason). I have no problem whatsoever with reading subtitles and I've actually experienced a pretty good dose of Japanese culture in my life so I'll probably be able to pick up on things in the film. Thanks for the analysis :)

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

In total agreement. I think...

5. HF

HF New Member

Just saw the american remake on DVD. To me it looked remarkable - especially how much you can learn in a few months with a good coach!

In the bonus material there were even more dance scenes and a version with the director's comments. I watched it all together with my girl friend and we were really touched b/c it basically tells our story ... sort of.

Heading now for the japanese original.

6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

japanese original is reallly good comparing to the US film.. Enjoy it!