sharing a room when competing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Sep 21, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

does this work for you?....as a general rule I avoid it...unless I know the person well enough to know that I can be candid with them and that they are fairly laid back....but, for the most part I avoid it because;

a) I want to sleep whenever I want to sleep
    b) the way I compete, it looks like a bomb went off in the room
    c) I have a hard time having to be considerate of someone else in the midst of a comp so I prefer not to inflict that on someone else

2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Disclaimer that I am probably coming at it from a different perspective as a college student.
    When we stayed in hotels prior to comps (which was fairly rare- if the comp was less than a 3 hour drive, we drove up and back in one day, or stayed with team member's families), we stuffed as many people as possible into one room. I remember my first away comp we had 12 people in the same roomo_O. We came prepared with sleeping bags and camping mats/air mattresses, though. The bathroom was certainly crowded- we tried to make people shower the night before the comp so others could use the bathroom for hair/makeup in the morning. It was certainly tough, but a great way to get to know my team-mates. When I was captain of my undergrad team, we put 4 people/room, which worked out well until we found out that there was only one bed. Fortunately, the hotel staff were kind enough to bring up a cot for each room, so it was 3 to a bed and one on a cot. I think the boys slept 2/bed, one on cot and one on the floor, because apparently they don't like to snuggle their teammates as much:rolleyes:

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  3. fascination

lordy...very different...I could never survive that...without copious amounts of adult beverage

Lyra, dancelvr and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  4. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I try my best to find someone to share a room to keep the cost down. I'm a neat person so that I don't take up alot of space in the room. I also try to keep the noise to a minimum when I'm getting ready the competition.

I have found this arrangement to work well, but there have been instances where the roommate has some undesirable traits that I cannot tolerate - like snoring. But the amount of money saved in many cases have more than made up any kind of inconveniences.

5. fascination

I save by doing my own hair and make-up...but I have learned that this is one thing that can really impact my dancing...I have had a few good experiences (some incidentally with df-ers)...but, on balance,I find it cramps my style way too much....as to snoring....I bring ear plugs...for myself...and offer them in case I offend...which only happens if I am exhausted or sick...but exhaustion is always a possibility at a comp

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Generally, I do not share a room either. Although, in high school and young adult days - regardless of sport/competition/etc....it wasn't a big deal to share a room with 4 - 6-8 people. Nowadays,,,I like my privacy, coming and going to the room when needed or by choice, waking up when needed for warm up early or the ability to sleep late. And I SPREAD my stuff out,,,,,DH laughs half the time he comes with me...and he knows better than to ask me to move make up, costume, shoes....there's a method to the madness...so DH is the only one to share with me...and he stays out of the way.

7. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

For me, I think finding someone with a compatible personality is key. My mom always goes to my competitions and she and I have always shared a room with one of my dancing friends. Sometimes my friend will bring a friend as well and last time she brought her DH. It works well for us because we're all laid back, low maintenance types, respectful of each others space and do our own thing. If I go to bed early and if she comes in later, she doesn't wake me up. I don't think I could room with someone who constantly needed attention or who wanted to hang out with me all the time, talked to loud or too much. I was actually hesitant to share a room initially because I like my alone time and can be a bit of an introvert but I'm gad I did. I guess I got really lucky :)

We've been roomates for over 5 years and we now have our routine down pat. She showers first. My mom does her hair while I shower. Mom does my hair while she puts on makeup. Mom showers while I put on makeup and she dresses....you get the idea. We never seem to be in eachother's way.

btw - I'm 43. My friend is in her 50s. My mom is 68. Just thought I'd add that ;-)

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Um...a lot of the collegiate dancers are ALSO doing their own hair and make-up, AND sharing a room! Many collegiate comps and some USA Dance comps don't even have hair/make-up people!

I think having one's own room is a luxury, but nice. Then again, if I am at a pro-am comp and did not bring the spousal unit, one nice thing about sharing a room is that if I am also going to a night session at which I am not dancing, I like having a friend to help zip up my evening gown or cocktail dress.

It has to be someone who will put up with my weirdness, though, so that limits the field considerably. ;)

SwayWithMe likes this.
  9. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Yes CCM! forgot to mention the other benefits besides cost: zipping up and applying tanner on your back.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Been there, done that, been the person sleeping on the floor. Most hotel room floors are actually pretty comfy. It's actually less awkward than a couple sharing a room with another couple because of the whole being able to hear what's going on in the other bed thing.

That said, sharing a room with just my one personal and dance partner is much more enjoyable.

11. fascination

I hear you ccm...I totally get that collegiate is a different world...was fun to see them at osb past few years... I was surrounded...I just personally can't save that way...in fact, I don't go to evening sessions almost ever... to save money...shrug...for me, the privacy seems to be huge...maybe b/c I was an only child for 10 years and by the time my brother came along, my comfort zone of "alone as default" was well established...I have had some FUN room-mates...but many other times I was so concerned the whole time about not offending them that it really affected my capacity to function and enjoy...interesting to hear everyone's experience

jiwinco likes this.
  12. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

No does not work for me at all...
    I need a place of my own to retreat to where I can just to chill out and calm down, by myself..

Sometimes I feel bad when pros other student asks if I want to share a room, but the small savings is not worth the quiet place I can go to....

That and I am one of the lucky ones, that husband is usually worried about me driving into major cities and prefers to take a day off to drive me to comps, hangs out in the room or lobby bar reading while I dance.... LOL then he has to listen to my useless chatter over lunch or worse he is my chatter hostage all the way home!!

dancelvr likes this.
  13. fascination

lol...I don't even want my husband around when I compete...which is just as well b/c he feels the same way

14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I do think if I was attending a several day comp and I had the funds to do so, I would prefer my own room. Collegiate is just a different ballgame.

fascination likes this.
  15. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Yep, the one time my husband came to a comp he mentioned that during one of my 'poses' I had looked like a praying mantis. No more husband at comps for me!

Lioness likes this.
  16. fascination

when I compete, I am pretty much hunkered down and in a very regimented posture that really doesn't adjust well to social interaction outside the ballroom...not proud of it...just the way it is

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

The only people I'll share rooms with is DP, DP's GF, BF, or my family. Having said that I'm poor, so I'm not fussy. I'd sleep 12 to a room if I had to.

Last time I stayed at a hotel for an interstate comp, DP didn't have a girlfriend...not sure how it'd go down now. We had two double beds in the room, so we got one each. Showers and such were easy to work out considering there were only two of us.

18. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Some of the things I say and do when I sleep... it's just best I sleep alone.

cornutt, dancelvr and Lioness like this.
  19. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I used to have a dance acquaintance with whom I'd always share a room when we competed together. We've since parted ways, and she is on my....list. :mad: However, she was a great roommate, 'cause she was never in the room except to sleep and change clothes!!

I tried to share a room with another dance buddy. Oy....that did not work out at all. A second night together, and it might have come to blows! We decided our friendship was worth more than the savings of sharing.

I could never share a room with DP because....um...no. He and I both need our space. However, when he (and sometimes his partner) are staying off-site (they both have lots of friends and family along the west coast), I always let he/them use my room to do what they need to do...iron a dress, take a nap, get dressed, stash their dance stuff and luggage...etc. And, DP sometimes stays off-site with family or friends, when I'm his only student at the comp, to save me money. :)

The short story....unless DP acquires a student with whom I get along VERY well, it will always be a solo room for me. I do love my peace and quiet, and the ability to do what I want, when I want.

(As far as zipping and unzipping gowns....I've gotten lucky at my last few comps to have housekeeping knock on my door just as I was getting dressed. The dear ladies always seem happy to help. :) )

20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I like to share in interests of saving money, but it's not the end of the world and not a deciding factor if I can't.