sharing a room when competing?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Can attest to this! :D

I've most often shared rooms with my DPs, except after my penultimate DP had a BF-who-turned-into-a-husband, he was uncomfortable with her sharing a room with only one guy.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'm cool with sharing a room, though roommate choice is important. I am not cool with sharing a bed the night before I compete - those nights are often short enough as it is! After I'm done competing though, I could care less.
  3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I've done both - shared rooms (usually with one, but up to four total in the room) and had my own. I generally prefer the latter, but I'm not opposed to sharing a room with someone I know reasonably well. I've found it's hard to share with more than one other competitor, though, just because of juggling the bathroom and mirrors. If I am going to share a room, I do my utmost to avoid sharing beds, though I've done that as well. That's just a comfort thing.

It's nice to share both to reduce the cost and for the extra bit of social interaction. You certainly get to know your dance friends better this way, and it can create a bond that you don't get otherwise. Not to mention it's nice to have an extra set of hands on occasion to help with the stray hair and wonky eyeliner, or just a second opinion, when you haven't had your coffee in the morning. That said, the more intense I get about competing, the less social I become and the more I need my personal space so I can focus. And there is nothing worse than not doing as well as you would have hoped, and having to cope with a roommate. So, it depends on the comp - the more "important" the competition, the more I want my own room.

I hear you - I'm much the same way. My good dancer friends know this and don't mind sharing a room with me, because they know better than to take it personally. Less good friends think something is wrong and keep trying to "cheer me up", which drives me crazy.
    fascination likes this.
  4. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Just a question: is it possible to rename sharing room or private room thread to "sharing the dance floor at private lessons". Otherwise almost 2 identical names at least at sound but very different meaning
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Been there...in spades. Had a bad comp a few years ago, and roomate won every one of her heats. (She was dancing down at this small competition.) So, as I was wanting to curl into a corner and just breathe, I had to put up with her incredibly insensative yapping about how great she did...over and over and over. She even insisted we stay an extra night....to celebrate. As she drove us both to this comp, guess who got stuck toasting her success that evening? I'm thinking it was a good thing she wasn't able to read my mind.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Warren J. Dew likes this.
  7. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Active Member

I share a room whenever possible. It keeps the costs down, and also stops me from wallowing in misery over my performance. LOL

Last comp there was actually another female student competing, and I rather enjoyed chatting until all hours. She's going to the next couple of comps I'm doing, yay! Rooming with coach is interesting; I love her, but she's hardcore and makes me do situps...
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, since DW and I compete together, we both have someone to share a room with. ;) But if I were to go to a comp without her, I'd want a room to myself. As far as I'm concerned, one of the rewards of being an adult with a steady income is that I don't have to deal with roommates. :wacky:
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I've done both and I much prefer to stay by myself. Having said that, it has worked out fine when I have shared. I do enjoy the company if I am staying for the evening sessions where I'm not dancing. But overall, I prefer to have the place to myself, waking/sleeping whenever I want, showering and hair/makeup on my own timeline, and using the extra bed as a staging area (I still try to get 2 beds even if I'm the only one in the room).

If sharing a room meant that I could perhaps compete more often though, I think I could find a way to happily co-exist with pro's other students.

While we're on the subject of room sharing...
    For the pro-amers out there, have you or would you share a room with your pro (I'm thinking this might be a little less of an issue if you or your pro is gay though perhaps not). I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sharing a room with my pro. Just curious how others feel.
  10. fascination

not in a million years......:rofl:
  11. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Lol.. My thoughts too fasc. But some of my other dance friends have shared a room with their pros on occasion. It seemed strange to me but thought if any place could give me perspective on the issue, it would be DF. I'm happy to learn I'm not alone. :)
  12. fascination

I know of one df-er who is on record as having done so and it worked well for her...but I will let her chime in...

speaking only for myself, my relationship with my pro is FORMAL...and when we are alone, almost no words are spoken, except on lessons and only about lesson things...we barely speak at competitions, we have sat in a car for 5 hours and nothing was heard but crickets chirping....I have had a dinner alone with him exactly once....it is beyond my comprehension....I cannot fathom it...and, with my previous pro...also NO...for other equally emphatic reasons
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

If I know the student well, sharing a room is fine and can be fun, but I usually choose to room alone. I've never shared a room with my pro.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

5 hours with no conversation - wow!
  15. fascination

we are special like that...I just turned the radio on and sang stuff
    debmc likes this.
  16. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

I like staying with my dance partner-- we haven't shared a room yet, but we've stayed at each other's houses a bunch. We hang out for a while before going to bed and chillax together. In the morning we have a routine where I shower and then he does. While he showers I take care of breakfast and he eats while I do his hair. Afterwards I do my hair and he helps me. Then I do my makeup if I have time, if not I do it once we get to the comp.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I always share a room, usually with 2 or 3 other people, with one caveat- do not mess with me in the morning. Let me do my thing, let me get ready, don't speak to me, especially if I haven't had my coffee yet. One of my ex partners (who was way too cheerful at 5:30 am for his own good) got the explicit warning that he was not to speak to me for the 30 minutes after I woke up. Having someone to help tan that impossible spot on your back and make sure you don't have any streaks is really nice though (not to mention paying 1/4 for your room).
  18. bluslu

bluslu Member

As another collegiate competitor, I've always shared a room. I've lucked out in that our school has gotten funding the last 2 years and not only has the hotel been free, it has also only been 4 to a room, max. I've stayed with as little as 1 and up to 3. At Ohio, it's been 3 to a king suite and I happily take the pull out couch. I worry about sharing a bed, I've been known to kick in my sleep.

However, this year our funding is limited so we may be cramming more people per room. We'll see.

I don't know that I could do solo. I always find staying in a hotel by myself weird. For comps, that would leave me with no one to help me with my hair or tie me into my rhythm dress if it's first. But, I've never had the chance for something else so it's sort of the "devil you know" kind of situation.
  19. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

We could make it work if we had to. The need has never come up.
  20. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

The only time I hated sharing a room was when I was at my partner's house with about 20 members of our team and ended up in their guest room with 4 other girls. Everyone in the house had talked about what times we were all getting up and everyone agreed on 5. Well turns out in the morning I hear all the alarms going off in my room, but mine isn't going off. I look at the clock and turns out the 4 other girls in my room were the only ones in the house who had all agreed to get up at 4:30 without conferring with me. So I got up, but I definitely didn't like getting up a half an hour earlier than necessary on a comp day. I felt a little better about it when my dance partner told me about how he woke up though-- apparently after the 4 girls in my room woke me up they promptly all went to the bathroom to start doing their makeup. Well the bathroom was right next to his room so he woke up to the sound of all these girls chattering away about 5 minutes after I got up. He said he just had this moment where he was half asleep couldn't figure out where he was or why there were girls there, or where the girls even were and it was an extremely confusing way to wake up.