Shirt/Tie Malfunction...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceGeek, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DanceGeek

DanceGeek Member

Well maybe it's my malfunction not the shirt and tie, but here is the issue. I have a stretchy type white shirt for dancing smooth, with a regular albeit rather long point collar. When I put on a tie, the tie knot always hangs well below the top button no matter what I do.

Does anyone have advice on this matter? You can see a picture here (amusingly titled from getty images, along with an unfortunate expression but oh well) http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...e-2013-manhattan-amateur-news-photo/159694330
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i had shirt like that...i got a different shirt
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

4. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Looks like you might be tying the tie in a half Windsor knot. Maybe try a full Windsor.

Safety pins have myriad uses, too.
  5. DanceGeek

DanceGeek Member

I was tying a Pratt knott, but I'll try a full windsor tonight and see if that helps. I'll also consider the buy a new shirt option ;) but I'm not sure I can pull off a cravat.
  6. Mr 4 styles

pfftt ...full windsor or go home LOL
  7. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I try to stay as "real" as possible with smooth and wear a real dress shirt and real tie. Does the tie loosen at times? yes. Is there a solution? Absolutely. I've trained my partner to fix it for me in-between dances, which adds to the overall performance :)
    twnkltoz and smidra86 like this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

i wear a real shirt but a blinged out tie made to match my partners dress perfectly

and i too agree that having the lady tidy you up adds a sense of caring ​
  9. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I wear a bowtie. No worries about slippage. ;) PS, hi, DanceGeek!
    DanceGeek likes this.
  10. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Go for a Hanover. :)
  11. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

[​IMG]
  12. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Change your tie knot. Try an Eldredge or a Trinity knot. Both are large and visible, and both are highly slip resistant. Or get a zipper tie (what I do since my smooth shirt only has a wing collar).
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

TRINITY!!!! My husband wears that. It is sexy!
    DanceGeek, smidra86 and j_alexandra like this.
  14. Milen

Milen Member

Bowties are cool :-D I think that cravats and ascots are also cool but I might need to find myself a new wife if I start wearing one. Mine disapproves and finds them creepy.

If you prefer a neck tie, I'd recommend trying a thicker tie that what you're wearing in the photo.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Um, try tying it a little tighter.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless you're a 19-Century dilettante I'm not sure that quite works. ;)
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

somehow, "sexy" and "tie knots" never came together for me before, but then I watched the video. wow. it *is* sexy.
  18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

See, and I completely disagree. Sure, I can see it for something frivolous like a holiday party or something...but to me it just looks undignified. Give me something classy.
  19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a tie snob in exactly the opposite direction most everyone else here appears to be. There are two distinct schools of thought when it comes to the four-in-hand, and I'm in the camp that considers it appropriate for all occassions. A few points in support of my position:

- The actual Duke of Windsor did not wear his tie in a Windsor knot. Rather, he wore a thick tie with a four-in-hand knot.
    - An example of a modern individual who prefers each knot: Four-in-hand - Prince William. Full Windsor - Vladamir Putin
    - In From Russia With Love, James Bond notes that he doesn't trust men who wear a Windsor knot, noting that it was often the mark of a cad. James. Freaking. Bond. Game, set, match. ;-)

Of course, given that Fred Astaire preferred a full Windsor knot, I'd be hard pressed to actually argue that there's anything wrong with it. But I think that there's much to be said for displaying one's ostentatiousness through a lack of ostentatiousness.
  20. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Four in hand is a good look but not appropriate for all shirts. On a wide collar it looks bare (though they work surprisingly well with club collars). The problem with most people's Windsors is the wear them with narrow or point collars and they end up too crowded.