Shoe Straps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by AquaDancer, Sep 7, 2003.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I think they make them long intentionally for those who are NOT blessed with tiny ankles.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. I figured something like that (A bit late :oops: :lol: ) I was thinking mail-order might be involved. *shrug*
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

All of mine were mail ordered as well(from much further away than Tokyo, at half the price, heh heh!) yet those flapping straps looked so geeky I clipped them before I wore them in public.
  4. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I cut the straps to the right length on my first pair of latin shoes. Then I did a lot of standard and built up my ankle and foot strength. When I tried to wear the (still almost new) latin shoes again, I couldn't get the strap around my foot any more. So that's one reason for not cutting them!
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Interesting. I've never had to cut the straps of any of my shoes. I guess I have big ankles to begin with.
  6. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

THAT'S why my latin shoes don't fit anymore.... I was beginning to wonder.... Especially as I've gone DOWN a size in my street shoes....
  7. I use the clear rubber bands most shoe vendors have at comps. They're a life saver! I have sweaty feet haha, without them my shoes will fly off!
  8. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

snip the straps at an angle, burn the end with a lighter, then add clear nail polish..... works for me :D
  9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The multi-purpose Gem Tac glue is perfect for preventing fraying and make threading through the holes much easier.
  10. Bella

Bella New Member

Thanks contracheck! Will try this!
  11. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Bumping this thread because I hate starting new threads. And this isn't exactly on topic. But I promise I did a search and perused the shoe sticky pretty well and didn't see the info I was after. Likely it was buried deep within a thread that my perusing missed.

Anyway, I know that t-straps on shoes can inhibit your ability to get a full point from your foot, especially if your foot is fairly flexable. But what about the latin shoes where the straps wrap around the insole/arch of the shoe/foot. Not the ones that wrap through a loop at the top of the heel cup, but the strap actually goes around the bottom of the shoe at the arch/instep. Would this type of strap also inhibit the point in latin/rhythm? I LOVE this type of shoe in smooth, but I haven't tried it in an open-toed shoe for latin/rhythm dancing. I am curious as to others' experiences with "strappy" shoes for latin/rhythm.
  12. bia

bia Active Member

I feel somewhat restricted with straps around the ankle, but no problems (and a nice feeling of security) with the straps around the arch, assuming that the sole itself is nicely flexible. That's my preferred latin shoe design. But I haven't been doing much latin recently, so you may want to weigh "real" latin/rhythm dancers' opinions more heavily than mine.
  13. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Agree with bia. I find that my foot isn't as snug in the shoe with the strap around the ankle. I always wear my straps wrapped around the center of my foot. I don't think that limits flexibility at all. I found a T-strap did.
  14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

me three. I wrap the strap around the arch of the foot rather than the ankle and it feels like the shoe is more stable on my foot. It does not restrict foot flexibility...not that my flexibility is amazing but i don't feel it hinders the way i find a T-strap does.
  15. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Thanks ladies! I was hoping you all would say that. I'm getting ready to retire my latin t-strap shoe (though I must admit, for newbies they are very stable). But I am finding that now I have much more point than my shoe is allowing. So, in the market for a new style. I figure if I can dance 5 single dances over 4 levels and a scholarship in 3 inch heels at comps, I'm probably stable enough to move away from the stability of a t strap. Looks like I should have no issues with that with a strap that goes around the arch.

Many thanks!
  16. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I think you'll be A-ok. ;) Just practice in them a bit to get used to the feel. I wouldn't say they're more or less stable, just different and less flexible.
  17. kckc

kckc Active Member

my preferred style also, though it is getting harder and harder for me to find an arch-strap style that isn't excruciatingly painful (I can't wear anything over 2", or that is all straps. And I need tons of cushioning. But other than that, I'm not picky. HA!) Sounds like you are good with higher heels. Arch straps feel snugger and more stable to me.
  18. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

What styles have you worn in the past KCKC? What has been your favorite style that incorporates the arch strap thingy?
  19. kckc

kckc Active Member

[​IMG]something close to this style- solid upper, not composed completely of straps. I used to wear Stephanie brand because of their cushioning and durability but their selection of 2" styles has become so limited that I have recently started trying Comfort brand, which has more options I can deal with. Fortunately (and unfortunately), their shoes can be customized as to heel type and fabric but take around 6 weeks to receive. Since you can wear 2.5" or more, Stephanie does have a professional line you might try- some of those styles have an arch strap.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

On the subject of the t-strap vs. the arch wrap flexibility - I use the arch wrap, since it only goes around the mid part of the foot to keep the shoe on, it does not restrict the pointing of the toe. The t-strap, the strap attaches the mid foot TO the toe, therefore restricting the arching of the mid foot/toes.