Short short hair ideas.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lioness, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Definitely not long enough to make a ponytail :D

The sparkly bobby pins sound cool. I've just emailed the event organiser to see whether medallists are allowed sparkly things...some competitions we are, some we aren't.

The fascinator also sounds cool.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

If sparkles are not permissible, I'd defnitely go with something color-ish.

A brainstorm came to me while I should have been sleeping. Since you're going to cut it soon anyway, had you consideed doing something with just the tips of your hair?

I realize this mght get expensive. Anybody can do a blanket color. Frosting, highlights, tips, etc a lot of people go to the salon for. So this may be out of the question. Just a thought. :cool:

3. Lioness

Hmm...I could get a streak set or something, too.

What sort of colour would you give tips of red hair/streaks in red hair? I'm absolutely clueless.

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Bumble and Bumble makes a product called Gellac. I have never ever encountered anything it could not hold, and my hair is shorter than that photo, and very fine. You use Gellac, you can BREAK your hair. Hairspray becomes irrelevant. You might want to experiment with it.

carefully. :)

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

That just means you're not using the right stuff. I've seen a mohawk, multiple inches high, stand perfectly straight and rock-hard...and apparently it stayed like that for days. (I asked.) It's all a matter of what you use.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I would definately get the bangs of your face in any way possible..and in short hair, I think those tiny little clippy things (that open and close like a venus fly trap) are adorable for both decorative and control purposes

7. LaWa

LaWa New Member

Something I've seen here is afro-style braids that start at the front hairline and stop at the crown. That works with fairly short hair. You can then hold the braids in place at the crown with those little clippy things. It's not so easy to do on your own, but maybe you have someone who can help you, or teach DP to do it :D

8. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Is this for Latin or Standard? For Latin you could probably get away with some movement, if your hair has movement (it might be too short). For Standard I'd probably go for slicked down maybe with some flat pincurl accents or rhinestones glued in.
    For standard I'd just be careful to make whatever is holding it in place look like part of the design instead of just crazily pinned and clipped so it looks like you're preparing to put a wig on...I don't know if that makes sense but I've seen some over pinned styles you'd want to avoid!

9. Lioness

It's for standard, but because I'm a really low level, it doesn't matter all that much.

fasc: I have some of those little clippy things! They're pretty cool. I'll see whether I can work something out with them.

LaWa: I'm very bad at doing my hair, and I think braids with hair my short are probably beyond mum's capabilities too. DP won't touch my hair...

Just got word that we're not meant to have a lot of sparklies on our costumes or our hair. I can bend that a little, because it wasn't written in the official rules (everyone forgets the medallists :().
    So the sparklies on the clips should be cool.

Maybe a headband?

10. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Take along some non-sparkly hair clips, so you can switch them out, just in case somebody decides to enforce a "non-sparklies" rule.

11. leee

leee Active Member

Yikes, sounds like he needs to see a doctor for this condition.

12. pygmalion

Gotcha P. I guess I come from a different perspective, since I have very fine, chemically processed hair and am African American. People with hair the texture of mine generally don't shampoo much more often than once or twice a week, because the hair dries out and breaks.

So products I choose have to be friendly enough that (potentially) a week's accumulation leaves my hair still looking and feeling like hair.

I suppose a one-shot comp deal is a bit different. :cool: But still. The spikes I'm talking about are short, girly, gentle flippies. Hairspray is plenty, if the hair is short enough. So, unless I wanted to look like those guys on the train, I wouldn't use super-duper mohawk hold. :cool:

13. AMeader

AMeader New Member

What color is your dress? Perhaps some hair accessories to coordinate?

14. Lioness

I'm tossing up between purple and blue. It'll depend on what matches better with the new colour of my hair, and also what looks more flattering.

I've been shopping around to look at hair accessories, but haven't found many good ones...I'm thinking a trip to the dance store might be a good idea.

15. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

If sparklies are OK, and you have the time and inclination, you can buy regular hair stuff cheaply and stone it yourself.

16. LaWa

LaWa New Member

I'm a big fan of headbands. I wear them for lessons all the time. But they have to be fairly flat and fit well so that they don't fly off if there's any accidental head-to-hand/arm/elbow-contact, although I've only had that happen when dancing salsa. If they're too tight, you get headaches though.

I've also got a similar thing made of velvet with wire inside that I can wrap around my head as a kind of headband. It's long enough to make a kind of flower with the ends. That should be fairly easy to make.

17. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

This is really great advice. I have super short hair and recently I was very dissatisfied with how my hair looked in comp pictures. So recently I did a search for african american short hairstyles, and found some really innovative styling options for short hair. there are some beautiful things you can do with curls and waves. I have done finger waves before, But its hard to find a hair dresser that can do them.

Also- someone mentioned Bumble and Bumble Gellac. If you go to the bumble and bumble website and look up Gellac, they have a video of a girl with a short hairstyle and they do and awesome job of styling her hair with this stuff.

Keep in mind, latindancers like Joanna Leunis do a great job of styling their hair-you can do what she does for smooth and standard.

18. Lioness

Ok, so I went to the dance shop, and bought some swarovskis.

I've got coloured ones and crystal AB...the current plan is to glue two coloured ones and one AB onto a bobby pin.

I shall post pics when they're done ^^

19. Lioness

Here they are

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. pygmalion

Pretty! :) Have you decided how you're going to style your hair?