Short short hair ideas.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lioness, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Woooo. Bump time!

For the upcoming comp, I have an idea for a new hair do...my hair is a little bit longer than usual (probably about the same length as the above pics), and I'm thinking I'll do a braid down the side, a bit like this:

[​IMG]

Neater and tighter, of course.

But, my problem is that I don't know how to braid. I know the theory behind it, but my fingers just can't do it. I lose strands of hair and it ends up being messy and falling out all the time.

Any tips on how to do something like this? Anything that makes braiding easier?
    Thanks.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's a cute do, L. I do know how to braid, but only for ... ahem ... coarse-textured hair. The braids hold themselves together because they're not slippery. No idea how one would braid silky textured hair AND make it look neat. I know it can be done, I just have no idea how one would do it. I wonder if there's anything in google or youtube. Hmm.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Well that was a bust. In case you're interested, I can now direct you to several sites where you can buy extensions and even more where you can start dreadlocks -- not exactly in fashion on the ballroom floor, ATM. :lol: I'll keep looking, though. :-D
  5. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Liking the look :) Perhaps either spritz it with water so it's a little damp or brush in some light mousse to give some grip. Sticking a clip in one of the lengths to give it some tension as you hang on to the other two can make things less fiddly. When you're done braiding, either smooth in some mousse or fix it with hairspray to stop those strays?
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I like to use a mixture of hair spray and water (about 50-50 in a squirt bottle) to give the hair some more texture, and then just practice practice practice. Your fingers well gain control and speed and you'll get much better.
  7. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Hi Lioness. Check out "torrinpaige" on youtube. She's famous for her intricate styles for long hair, but not all of them require really long hair. "Loepsie" also has some interesting braided-type styles that may inspire you, and she has braiding tutorials and make-up/hairstyle how-to. Seems like a cool chick :cool:

oh, here's one of Loepsie's called "double-braided headband", maybe sort of similar to what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0RdmvHzr7Y
  8. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I concur with those saying you should braid damp or wet hair... much easier to make it look neat than dry hair.
  9. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I had a hair stylist who once did my hair claim that my hair was not "dirty enough." She grabbed a can of some type of product and started spraying my hair. I don't know what the product was called but maybe a beauty supply store would know or even asking a local hair stylist what that might be.
  10. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Hey, these are great videos! I just wasted about an hour at work looking for ideas for my comp next week! :)
  11. Lioness

Update from coach...haven't looked at videos yet, because I'm meant to be writing an essay...

He things that my hair is fine "loose" (i.e., not tight to my scalp, but with a lot of hair products too). That shorter hair needs more volume than longer hair and a bun.

So I'll give the braid a little try, but no dramas if I can't get it.
  12. BreAna

BreAna Member

i actually had a very similar cut last year! it's my profile pic. i had dyed it jet black, spiked my bangs down and just loaded the rest of it with gel and hairspray so it didn't move or look fluffy. giant earrings are a great idea. also, with shorter hair your eyes will be more visible, so do them up hardcore. good luck with the hair accessories...mine just fell out shortly before my heats so I had to remove them. Not enough hair to grab them I guess.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

One thing a lot of hairdressers seem to suggest for any sort of updo's (and braids) is that your hair ideally is a "day old". Meaning, you haven't washed it yet that day. It holds a lot better. Personally i struggle with this because my fine hair gets greasy looking easily and i feel gross when i don't wash my hair in the morning LOL. Although i have super short hair too now (shaved on the sides) so i'm lurking for hair ideas....
  14. bia

bia Active Member

Me, too! I've been told not to wash it that morning, but I do anyhow. When I've tried not to, I just feel icky -- besides, washing my hair seems to be central to really waking up for me. But if I'm going to put it up, it holds well enough as long as I put mousse or other sticky hair product in first and put the hair up while still damp.
  15. no_name901

no_name901 Member

Did you try tons of bobby pins and hair glue (not literal glue)? Did you ever try an applique with the rubber backing? Those hold best when put on a gelled surface, or even just making a design of rhinestones, just use eyelash glue (granted this takes a while, and would be better if someone did it for you).

And a suggestion for those who don't like waiting to wash there hair. If you can't stand it, just when you take a shower, use a little bit of conditioner and run it through. I know some people/hair dressers like to work with hair that hasn't been washed for a day, and others clean hair that's been washed the prior night. Never go with freshly washed wet hair, that is the hairdressers worst nightmare. lol
  16. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i dont have short hair, but i think the hair slicked back (or maybe with a side part and slicked) looks divine on women with short hair.... like this:

http://youtu.be/JsPBeazj9jY

the flower in her hair looked even better IMO!
  17. Lioness

This is going to turn into a "Lioness grew her hair and now what do I do with it" thread...

So my hair is now just touching my shoulders, pretty thick, slightly wavy, and still bright red. I have a comp in two days and I'm still not sure what to do with it.
    DP's girlfriend is pretty much set on doing braids, like this, though I'll have to make sure she understands how tight they have to be.

I'm also looking at this one, or this:
    [​IMG]

The problem with those styles is that I still don't quite have enough hair to make them look any more than just a little bit dismal...if it's tied up in an elastic, there are only about two inches of ponytail to play with.

Getting a hairpiece is a bit out of the question, as it's a weekend full of Easter public holidays and places that sell those things aren't open.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas, preferably that we could braid some of?
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Is it long enough to French twist?
  19. Lioness

Yes, but it looks a bit small.

Can you do braids with a French twist?
  20. Lioness

Ok the twist is a no-go. Just tried it and my hair has a lot more thickness then the last time I tried it. I just can't twist it without everything escaping.