Should I buy standard shoes?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by danceallday, Jun 19, 2013.

1. danceallday

danceallday New Member

I have been dancing latin for a little over a year. I have been taking quite a few private lessons in latin and I have decided I would rather focus on standard. I attended a few workshops/group classes here and there for standard and I enjoyed them very much. I have had a handful of standard private lessons, but now I am going to get serious and have one every week. Should I buy standard shoes now? Also I was wondering what do you all wear to take lessons/practice? dress pants? trousers? yoga pants?

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, if your only other option is Latin shoes, yes, though I dance in Smooth shoes because they're more comfortable.

You might want to try the forum Search function and look for "practice wear" as we have lots of threads about it with lots of different answers.

3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

4. danceallday

danceallday New Member

Thank you so much... I'm sorry I'm new and didn't think to search for practicewear advice. I do have one question though about practicewear, I usually wear yoga pants to do latin, but for some reason I feel very dressed down when I wear yoga pants for standard, would it be better to wear dress pants? or should i just stick to the yoga pants?

5. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Definitely get standard shoes. I too started learning standard in Latin shoes since my Standard shoes were en route to our university. When I got my standard shoes, I found doing the steps to be much easier since there was so much more support in the shoe.

As for the pants, I personally don't think it makes much of a difference. Certainly, if you feel too casual feel free to wear something nicer. But it doesn't really matter for practice in my opinion.

6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I almost always wear black jazz pants for practice/lessons, for any style. Dress pants/trousers work if you want to dress it up a bit. Whatever you're comfortable in!

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i wear yoga pants for standard, with permission....i will also occasionally wear a long skirt...if you choose dressier pants, make sure you can move in them

8. fascination

if you plan on competing, buy standard shoes... if you don't; buy a practice shoe, a smooth shoe, or a standard shoe, but don't wear your latins

9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I wear black dress pants (with stretch) or a skirt for standard lessons. Sometimes yoga pants to practice, but I've found that I'm highly likely to catch my heel in the yoga pants during quickstep, and that's scary. (I'm pretty sure I've read other comments to that effect here before.) So I still wear them on occasion, but I roll them up for quickstep, which is a pain and looks funny. Better than crashing, though.

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  10. Sania

Sania Active Member

I wear Freed Roma practice shoes with a 2" heel for lessons and day to day practice in standard (also for social dancing).

I only get out my court shoes for the last couple of rehearsals before the competition. The 2" heel of the practice shoe approximates the court shoe very well, it saves wear and tear on my feet, and the court shoes stay clean for the comp, thereby saving wear and tear on my budget.

stash likes this.
  11. fascination

hmmm..see...I find roma to be very hard on my bunions...and no real favor in terms of comfort in general...and I dance in 2 1/2 inch comp heels so I need more practice time in them than that, not to mention the heel width being entirely different

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I also like the Romas. They do start out a bit stiff on the soles/shank, but that doesn't really seem to affect my standard too much. Just depends on what works for your feet! Hmm, come to think of it, they are fairly narrow shoes.

13. fascination

i have a narrow foot, which is why I bought them...but the bunion makes them a No

14. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Definitely get a pair of Standard (or Smooth, if - like me - you have an awful time finding Standard shoes that fit right).

I practice in yoga pants or gaucho/palazzo pants, and take lessons in dress pants or gaucho/palazzo pants. BUT the popular "norm" is a black practice skirt.

15. danceallday

danceallday New Member

Thank you all for the great advice! I got a pair of Supadance standard shoes from my studio. They fit great! I'm glad I was able to try a pair on before buying. I am a 6.5 US size and my latin shoes are 3 UK size, but I had to go a full size up (4 UK) in the standard shoe. I cant imagine if I had ordered online, waited forever to get my shoes in, and then them not fitting.

I also decided to wear my dress pants today and I felt a lot better in them, but I think I will switch back and forth between yoga pants and dress pants.

16. Sania

Sania Active Member

I found that off the rack yoga pants were too short to look good with my latin heels - so went back to dress pants - but will keep looking for the perfect dance pant.

Congratulations on finding a good shoe - and especially on having the opportunity to try them on before you buy!