Shout out to missing comrades

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

I see you live in my area.. anyone you would recommend?
  2. GalacticDancer44M

GalacticDancer44M New Member

just was tuned in watching Dancing With The Stars and was wondering about everyone here, so thought i'd take a look. Thanks Mamboqueen for the kind words. You were always fun to chat with. Just have been away from dancing for who knows how long now, but by no means have lost the passion for it. Been focusing on singing and also working out in the gym. At least I'll be in good shape if/when I get back to dancing. All the best to everyone.
  3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hey there! Good to *see* you again. I hope you'll make yourself a more regular visitor. Miss chatting with you :). Singing???? Didn't knew you had it in you. Singing while working out? Even better! Please, don't be a stranger!
  4. GalacticDancer44M

Thanks again. Yeah, I'll have to make a point of lurking in here. I miss being around dancers. Still my favorite group of people. When you're away for a longtime, it feels like starting over. Just trying to figure out a plan on what to focus on and make the best use of the time/money.
  5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hi GD44: I must have joined after you left. For those like me could we hear a bit more - like what your favorite dances are?

Welcome back!
  6. GalacticDancer44M

Hi Elise, thank you for the warm welcome. Looking at my login name, I shouldn't have put in my age, because now it should read GD47M! Regarding favorite dances, I was only a student and went through bronze II, so I didn't have much experience dancing with others outside of my instructors. This was a shortcoming on my end. Though, I would have to say that I loved all the dances (Standard and Latin). Started out at Aurthur Murray's and then took lessons at a couple of Independent Studios. About 2+ years of privates and groups. Then ended up taking a break and returning to take WCS and Hustle group lessons. I really liked both of those dances, but I didn't go far with them. I've been thinking of taking WCS and Hustle back up or just focusing on Salsa where there seems to be many more venues to participate in. The other thought was to take some Argentine Tango lessons. I had one class in it and I really liked it as well. So many great styles of dance to learn and without a partner to practice with, it seemed like I wasn't progressing fast enough when trying to learn 8+ dances. Lack of a partner, practice space and too many people showing up in group lessons (since Dancing with the Stars came on) kind of made me drop out. But, I definately miss it and just need to better plan things. Looks like you're quite advanced and well into the competitions which is very cool.
  7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Hey GD - good to see you back!
  8. reb

reb Active Member

I wish everyone read this - and could see for themselves how much fun a person can have.

Wait until it should have said GD74M!

See you round GD
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

GD40S (GD 40 something!) nice story - except the bit about giving up! I don't know what I would do now if I had to stop dancing, it really is a part of my life. Like everyone here I just wish I had started at an earlier age. I'm intermediate I suppose - been dancing seriously for 7 years now, focusing on international and more standard than latin. Since I also could not find a partner I did pro/am -which I really enjoyed and took quite seriously. The plan was that if I got good enough maybe I could attract a DP. Thats what has happened quite recently (met 6 months ago). This is going very well - P is a lovely dancer and great to work witn and we have done one comp together in Gold (next at the end of the month!).
  10. GalacticDancer44M

Thanks Delamusica and Reb.

Elise, very good re: your new partner. I'm sure you're very excited about that. Gold doesn't sound very intermediate to me! I'm guessing that he's more advanced. That seems to be the case most of the times. Good luck with the competitions.

Funny thing was, I never planned on giving up dancing. Just took a break and then other events seemed to fill the time. Definitely, need to jump back in. This forum is a great inspiration!
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now that you're back, GD... don't leave! :D

stay awhile... maybe you'll pick up the bug again!
    :)
  12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

my secret plan is to get you so embroiled in a conversation that you will never leave again - 'corse it would only work with a nice, wellmannered guy - and I'm pretty sure I can spot one :cool::cool::cool:

As a far as finding partners is concerned its usually quite the opposite: since there are less guys, the competition for them is stiff so they get their pick - which usually means a more advanced woman. In our case we are actually pretty close - though I think the woman should try to stay a bit ahead simply because most of the lesson has to be devoted to the lead.

After a bit you end up at the same level anyway so I try to take a few solo lessons to keep me on my toes and fix any issues that the coach may spot during our lessons.
  13. GalacticDancer44M

Smiles. Thanks a bunch! Ok, time to dig out the instructional DVD's and at least brush up on some that before heading to a studio.
  14. GalacticDancer44M

Elise, now your plan in no longer a secret, but nonetheless working! thanks. The encouragement is definitely appreciated.
  15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

imagine...he can't find a partner?! What's wrong with this picture??!!
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think all the available frequent flyer points from both coasts and the deep south just got spent... The population of Michigan just doubled - and they are all female fit, cute and can dance your butt off...
  17. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

He's in the wrong state? NJ is a fine state. :wink:
  18. GalacticDancer44M

smile. and hello mamboqueen. longtime no chat.
  19. GalacticDancer44M

alright, you're bringing a smile to this ole' man's face. i know you're all teasing me, but I'll take it anyways! guess, i really need to get back and try again. Ok, now where's all those other missing comrades?
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so okay...MQ?????????.....motarmom? diputs, medira, rosa, cocodrilo, galacticdancer, IJ, if you've been gone a while check in ....we miss you...lemme see: 9dancer, dancingmommy, Lu, spina, genesiusredux, mr bixx, uh quixotl...miss ya'll