Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thought i'd start this thread for chat about our showcases, since i know a few of us are working on some...

started digging into choreography today... it'll be my first one with my pro. the music is definitely going to be "they" by jem... got as far as a dreamy solo foxtrot opener into tango and back into foxtrot again. i know that viennese will follow, and then... well... it's already off to a very nice start. i really like my pro's choreography. he knows i've been doing a lot of gold, so i'm finally getting a chance to show it off. guess that's what these things are for.

i asked him for a clever quickstep run or two, something that really challenges my feet & makes use of all the energy & fitness i've been cultivating. am curious about that because i know quickstep doesn't get interesting in that way until beyond syllabus level.

anyway, am really delighted about this routine! :D

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Working on an American VW showcase right now, music is "All for Love of One" by the Mediaeval Beabes. (Slowed down from its 70mpm original) Sounds like the music was used in a recent PBS documentary on Queen Elizabeth, or some music just like it as everyone keeps asking me if that's where I got it...

In theory we're almost done with choreography, have about 6 8's to go, we have a rough plan for the elements we wanted to include for about 4 of those so its in good shape, probably need about two more lessons to finish it off, counting the lift she wants to teach me today.

3. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

Very cool song. I hear the foxtrot, tango, and quickstep clearly. I don't get how the viennese fits though- the music is so "boppy" (at least the version I'm listening to, maybe there is another one), and it's not in 3. What version are you using?

4. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

We're doing a cha-cha.. sort of. Jeremy wanted to use "Move, Dance, Be Born" by Yello which is a very intense, dark sounding song. So he's put some solo/modern stuff at the beginning, and several lifts at the end. At least the middle is cha-cha..? I guess I should have expected it. Last showcase was supposed to be a quickstep but he chose some song from a broadway musical so the routine ended up being about 50% jazz.

My lessons are always a surprise when we're working on choreography.

5. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Working on a resurrected cha cha to "California Callin'" by Enrique Iglesias. We'll be performing it in the same showcase as Samina and her Pro this June.

6. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

"I'm going to challenge you to do something..." are very scary words coming out of David Hamilton's mouth while he's choreographing your new showcase routine...

That's all I know to say right now.

7. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Doing an American Foxtrot to "All That Jazz"

8. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Is there more than one version of that song? The version I have heard works best as a Samba, but I havent really heard it outside of dancesport competitions

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

same boppy one you're listening to. ;)

it's not in 3, but we'll still get the VW in... try it, it works.

i had my pro listen to "come closer" by jem at the start of our choreography session, and it's also not in 3, but he envisioned started straightaway with a VW to the opening staccato notes... if you have that song as well, check it out & see if you can visualize a VW there. i love that sort of ingenuity! anyway, i think "come closer" is a bit too sedate for a showcase piece.

10. LucyDiamond

I've not listened to the music but, I'll bet that's because there's some triplets written into the music. It sounds VERY COOL.

11. Me

Me New Member

Wow lots of cha here. Adding mine to the list...

We are working on a cha and will perform very soon. I'll post a link to it if somebody films it and gives us a copy. :)

12. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

If you heard it at a comp, it was probably edited a little bit for tempo. You could samba to the version I'm using, but you could also do rumba or tango. Or cha-cha. Or modern and theatre arts. I think it's all how you interpret it :)

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so, it's masquerade by george benson...you had to know it was going to be a gloomy one

14. fascination

but lovely nonetheless

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's got some sycopation, which makes it work... we got as far as the VW yesterday... doing a bit of open american & then moving to closed international. very cool.

and we'll even get in some waltz at the end, despite the 4/4... just loving it!

16. LucyDiamond

Sounds VERY COOL indeed, Sam.

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

First lesson today was working on the choreo to the upcoming (JULY 7!!! Freakin' crazy teacher!!!) showcase. QS to "Call the Law" by Outkast (thank you, Musicachica, for the heads-up to that one). I have to get the clean version.

He's being very nice and not leaving me out on my own. It's all lead-and-follow, no theatrics, really. Managed to work in something from AT (because it's me...how could I not have?). And not just anything from AT, but the thing that's been hella scary to me for months, and now it's clicked--a volcada. In what would be considered (if it were AT) open embrace. Very cool.

Still not liking this. Especially since I know I won't be able to go through it with my eyes glued to the floor. Which, IMO, is the only acceptable way to deal with the fact of people [foxtot]-ing looking at me!!!

My teacher better not tell DH about the showcase. I'll kill him.

18. LucyDiamond

For our cha cha showcase, been working on arms and hands. My hands tend to look like limp fish. Must remember to keep them up and open with the arms extended.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

DH doesn't know???? why not? how would he respond if he did....

20. fascination

just finished our choreography...yum...cept ...lol...who else but the two of us would do a bolero while barely ever touching?...mmmm...but if I can manage to pull myself together, it will really be lovely...and a good practice for dancing open....(yes, that IS in the back of my mind)