Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

*pout* I don't wanna dress up! *pout*

Why can I not just wear my jeans and a cami? *pout, stomp*

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

maybe you can;) ...maybe you SHOULD...and punk the hair all out

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

My last showcase I wore jeans and stoned a t-shirt. It worked for the routine. (Although if I do that routine again, I'm going to find me a black skirt like in that Nirvana routine at OSB.)

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nice!

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Of course, now I need a non-ballroom place to wear a stoned AC/DC shirt!

6. fascination

nah, just be in the ballroom more often...comp groupie

7. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

:)

VW, vaguely Elizabethan/Tudor era, hence the Shakespearean dandy-esque outfit

8. fascination

lol, that would have been my THIRD guess

9. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Just agreed [read "paid for"] to doing a Paso Doble. Not knowing any steps at all, it will be interesting to see how far I get.

10. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Last night's lesson was at the studio where pro and I will be performing our cha cha showcase. Our routine starts with us sitting in chairs side-by-side. We were able to figure out our starting place on the floor and how far back the chairs should be from the audience. We also realized that during the dance the chairs could get moved so we need to be aware of where they are for our ending. I'm sure my pro brought this up because one time during practice I wasn't paying attention and when we were supposed to sit back down I missed the chair entirely and fell on my behind. I don't think he wants me to do that again. :shock:

11. LucyDiamond

Paso is a fun dance.

12. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

we have that usual espana cani music, but since the theme of the event is motion pictures, which soundtrack would be a good one for a paso?

13. LucyDiamond

There's a version of Espana Cani from Shall We Dance that might work. It's 2:12 in length.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lmao... omg, thank goodness that didn't happen this week, huh? LOL

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

in our showcase choreography last night, pro said, "hey, let's do a lift!" i thought... omg... how's this gonna work... but the mechanics of it were so cool! he told me what to do, and once i went for it, i came down & said, "omg, are you okay?" and he said, "perfect... you feel like 20 lbs!"

i'm just amazed at how he's able to leverage the momentum of my upward motion.

now i've gotta revisit splits & leg lifts & such so that i can cultivate decent form for the lift. i don't want to look like a troll up there, y'know?

;)

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lesson this morning was more of the QS showcase. My pivots stink. Really, really badly. I've tried conveying this thought...he seems to think it won't be a problem.

Currently fighting over how to end the damn thing. He wants to end with a drag. Hells no. I haven't found a way to get him to back down, and I can't shake the thought from his head enough to get him thinking about a different thing to do. Meanwhile, him "forcing it" and me fighting him on that makes for much amusement.

And aggravation...did I mention the aggravation? At least the aggravation is two-sided.

17. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

My pro and I are into week three of our cha-cha showcase. Dancing to Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous". Holy Batman it's FAST. He's really challenging me with silver and gold choreography and I love it. I've competed only once so far at the Novice and Pre-Bronze levels, so my technique is lacking, but he'll get me there. When I get frustrated with a new step he reminds me that he only taught it to me 5 minutes ago, relax. LOL

Have no idea what I'll wear, but the showcase isn't until late June.

My biggest problem is the hair. I just to not look good with the slicked back wet look. ugh.

18. fascination

maybe try short and saucy

19. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Short and saucy - you mean cut my hair? Not ready to do that. A wig? Might be too distracting.

20. Nik

Nik Member

I'm working on one but have no idea where to start... and uhhh the shows tonight.