Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Some Day

Some Day New Member

:shock: Although I'm sure you'll pull this off, Nik.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nik, how'd the show go?

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

pro gave me the edited music for the showcase. a tidy two & a quarter minutes... is that pretty average out there?

can't believe how much he's been able to cram into that small amount of time. with all the changing between dances, it feels like it could be suffering from a multiple personality disorder... but i'm liking it. surely, that says something about me... lol

4. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I'd say so (unless this was DWTS as we saw on another thread) - most of mine have been in the two and a half minute range, give or take a few seconds. Have heard good things about showcases at the studio you are performing at...best of luck to you!

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks, NJdg! :D

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

really looking forward to ours too...this sunday...we are in really nice space, which helps....looking forward to a week of working on something for the fun of it

7. I have one of the top coaches in the country on Friday to finish the choreography on my showcase to the song “When you’re good to Mama”. Based on what he’s done so far it should be incredible.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

exciting, SP! what kind of dance is that?

dunno the song... am horribly song-title illiterate...:rolleyes:

9. The song is from the show Chicago.
    It’s not going to be a real serious number. A lot of comedy.
    There’s some Cha-Cha, a bit of Fox Trot and a whole lot of fun.

10. reb

reb Active Member

Based on my experience over the past 7 years, I'd say that's a fairly typical time - (our studio is a top pro/am studio and does 2 full production stage shows a year [rents auditoriums] and many of the students and pro also do shows and solos throughout the year).

A quick check of a couple comps:
    • Emerald Ball:
      • No Solo Exhibition is to exceed two minutes and forty-five seconds (2:45)
    • San Diego Dancesport Championships:
      • All solos must be completed within 2 1/2 minutes.
    DW and I have done paso, foxtrot, tango, waltz, bolero, etc., stage show solos - most of about that length.

I personally prefer shorter to longer.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds like we're spot-on, then... the music begins to fade at 2:20.

i think i would like to perform it at a comp. how does that work... i hear there isn't any placement, but that you can get judge's feedback. anyone have experience in that area? sounds like you do, reb...

really sounds like fun to me.

12. reb

reb Active Member

Some/many comps have top solo awards/placements.

Also, some comps invite the top solos to perform among the weekend evening main events. Sometimes these solos are very impressive!

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, that would be something fun to aim for...

have you ever done that, reb?

14. reb

reb Active Member

Solos - yes, although most of the solos/shows I've done in the last several years have been as an amateur couple with my girlfriend/fiance/wife.

As a pro/am beginner, I did some - including a comedy skit based on Steve Martin's My Blue Heaven club scene, as well as a waltz, a serious Bolero, etc.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

double lesson spent all on showcase... added new tango & slow waltz choreography... very nice. an hour and a half goes by in the blink of an eye...

turns out the QS sequence feels crazy fast because he was thinking it was at 50bpm but it's actually at 60, double the 30bpm of the song... ay-ay-ay... gonna be fun, though, once i've got the sequence down.

i like his choreography a lot.

16. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

He DOES do nice choreography. Can't wait to see it in June.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

had another one of those "that was good" moments i love... he was so impressed because "it's very open gold", as he put it... then he regretted bragging about it because i completely lost it after that. LOL

anyway, this one is going to take a tremendous amount of practice... it's not something i'll ever be able to fake my way through because it is very fast & includes some difficult figures.

i like the challenge of it! :D

18. LucyDiamond

You may want to perform it more than once. I performed my electrotango number 5 times over a 6 month period. The video you saw was my 4th time. You wouldn't want to see my 1st time, it was bad!!!

19. LucyDiamond

Also, you should see an improvement in my cha cha from what you saw at the party.

P.S. I'm outta' here now, time to go to lesson.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wish there were a place to launch it BEFORE the june 30th event... pro's studio opens in july, tho -- i think -- so i'll get a chance to do it there, too...

have fun at your lesson! am looking forward to seeing your improved cha showcase! :D