Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

We tend to come up with something new every time (unless the events are very close, but that only happened once). We also no longer tie the showcases to a specific music piece either, so that eventually we can take parts of them and recycle them into stuff we can do for dancesport series events, for example. Our previous waltz showcase and the tango showcase we're working on now are 50/50, they have groups that are usable for standard, but they have too much standard in them to be 100% smooth competition routines.
  2. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

for me it was simple as far as color .... yes the reg ol black and red for tango.

so pro had his outfit black pants, shirt and vest then a red tie.

I went with a whole 1940s look to do something different and altered a dress I had purchased online.

I did not want to do a standard or smooth dress ... everyone it seems does the things you see in comp. I wanted something totally different! So I did.

it worked ... I was pleased. :D
  3. gracie

gracie Active Member

I'm enjoying learning open gold Standard Tango even though I have only :banana::banana:just learned all the bronze and been to one comp. Ordered my dress, received it today, and am busy stoning and adding lace. Yes, it is red and black--original, I know! Love my music which you guys helped me identify... So, it is all coming together!
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you just like me, gracie...lol

(as far as being at bronze & one comp and hitting the open gold... ;))
  5. gracie

gracie Active Member

Well, I don't know how good the technique will be but he said I was doing well following (any semblance of a compliment from this Pro is fodder for celebration!).:rolleyes::lol::lol:
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i know what you mean...mine is the same. "that was not unpleasant" is time to hold a parade...;)
  7. gracie

gracie Active Member

Exactly!
  8. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

so agree with this!
  9. CANI

CANI Active Member

Hi samina - Just to offer a different perspective as you know we know the same pro -- I have heard him on numerous occasions give very direct, nice compliments to a number of his students. So, without taking anything away from your perspective, I offer that characterizing his approach to compliments in this way is not an accurate generalization.
  10. gracie

gracie Active Member

Still preparing for my showcase next Sunday. We also have freestyle rounds to give students a taste of competition. I will be doing all the standard dances closed bronze and wear the dress i wore at my last comp which I love because it is slenderizing. Today I went to a wonderful fabric store to get lace appliques for my Tango dress which is my solo. I found the most beautiful black re-embroidered lace appliques in black with black octogon shaped beads already on them. I can cut the different components apart to arrange them on the dress. I like what I have done so far. For the open spaces on the bodice which is electric red lycra I am wondering whether I should stone with jet Swarovskis. Any opinions of the black stone on red fabric? I have quite a few left from a previous project so would save ordering more stones. Help please. P.S.-- I think Laura would approve of my appliques!
  11. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

Pro has already started tossing out ideas to me for next fall's showcase - the theme is "Heroes & Villains". My studio always makes a big production out of their showcases, and start planning months in advance. So far, pro has thrown out two suggestions: X-men (he wants to be Wolverine, and wants me to be Mystique because of my red hair - although I must admit I'm not too keen on painting myself blue) and Britney Spears "Womanizer" (kind of a stretch, but the guy is the "womanizing" predator in the video and Britney is his wife - we could make it work). Don't really know what kind of music we'd use for the first one - maybe just an instrumental piece from the movie's score?

Still throwing out other ideas...I would love to do something from Sin City or the upcoming movie The Spirit, but I'm not sure how well-known characters from those movies would be. I'm open to really any suggestions...have any?
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I've got a showcase tomorrow. They have it organized so that there is a part like a competition (sans judging), when they have several couples on the floor, and another part has solos. So I'm doing several single dances and a tango solo.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Break a leg TTD. And have a blast. :)
  14. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Ditto
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Cute idea - and also a good setup for people who have not done one before - relieves the 'everyone is staring at me' syndrome.

Even though I've been competing for about 4 years I've actually only done one showcase - and that in a competition - so I'm really a newbie at it. The reason is that I have always taken lessons from independents and showcases are mainly a studio event. I suppose doing a competition where you are the only couple is pretty close - but you aren't expected to have a theme or special clothes or anything.
  16. LucyDiamond

Showcases are great fun ED. You should try to do more! I love them.
  17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I've only done the two, but definitely a blast. HOpefully I'll dig up cash to do the one again sometime.
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You have to pay to entertain?? :p
  19. LucyDiamond

You have to pay for everything in ballroom! :rolleyes:
  20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, indeed. Besides, want to do it at the competition again. so besides entry fees and all that, means I need at least 10 double lessons (since both pros, or former pro and new pro now, need to be there), to get it back up to snuff. Not worth doing it unless I can do the choreography and pros' work justice.