Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

bolero during a tornado watch...it was...nice
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

added another lift and more dramatic samba rolls... arabesque spin... a bit of an AT close embrace thing... and the dramatic context for the dance, which is sweet... i can hardly believe i'm doing this... for someone who spent most of her life wildly inhibited when it comes to dancing & performing, this is a marvel to me...
  3. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Sounds awesome. How many lifts are in your routine?
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

two, one which feels "bigger" to me because only my left arm is around his shoulder and all the rest is trying to look graceful in the air in some fashion, and the other which is lower to the ground, with my left leg wrapped around his middle somehow and my other leg hanging. i can't imagine how either of these could possibly look good... but i'm doing my best.:rolleyes:

right now the hardest things for me to get are the samba rolls and the spinning arabesque...
  5. LucyDiamond

Two! I'm impressed!!!
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well... don't be premature on that... lol... i feel like i'm executing much of the routine like a drunken troll... that's not quite the impression i want to make... ;)
  7. LucyDiamond

I'll bet you're doing better than you think. And, knowing your pro, he won't let you look like a drunken troll. :wink:
  8. Timenroom

Timenroom New Member

Currently working on an east coast swing/jive/charleston/lindy routine to "In The Mood".
  9. LucyDiamond

Sounds very cool! I love "In the Mood".
  10. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Finally finished choreography for my VW showcase. First showing is June 1, at the studio, then in competition in August.

3 lifts, several tricks, lots of "real" dancing. I'm happy with the routine. Wish I could have pulled off the originally choreographed end-lift, but lacked the strength for basically an overhead press lift... Its been replaced with a simpler lift, still nice, but lacking some of the impact. Got me heading to the gym more regularly so I don't have to wimp out next time :)
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:cool:

you'll be able to hoist oprah in time for the xmas showcase...
  12. reb

reb Active Member

Samina - lifts - this is great!

The lady has to look graceful while performing her part of a serious strength role. Glad I have only the simple part!
  13. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Here's a general question to all:

what's the shortest time you worked on a routine before performing it (please give # of hours practiced, what dance it was, and success or not)?
  14. fascination

well, uh...TWO weeks ago pro and I decided to do a bolero showcase THIS weekend...and we had a comp last week...I would say that by the time we do it we will have put a whopping 12 hours into it...actually, it's looking pretty good...go figure
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll let you know when i've managed it... lol
  16. fascination

lol...there is NO way it's happening in my world...don't get me wrong he's really buff but, uh...well, check size comparison in avatar...again, I continue to propose that I lift him....it STILL isn't going over very well
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... my own pro does a latin showcase with one of his students where she lifts him... actually, at the start of the routine she jumps into his arms and he holds her (she's larger than he is), and then at the very end he jumps into her arms... it's quite adorable.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i would imagine it has a lot to do with the sort of stuff you already have under your belt, which you can leverage for a routine. me... ttt!... hardly anything... not the sort that can rummage something up quickly like fasc, or nik (same day??? omg...)...
  19. fascination

pro is not a showcase person anyhow...he would never go for it
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

how'd the bolero showcase originate? did you have to persuade him...?