Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

At first with the song I wasn't sure it was "swingy" but my pro has choreographed it to be more fitting to the song. I must say I'm really happy with the choreography and the whole reason I wanted to do this was get out of my shyness.
  2. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

eeeeeek.... now my last lesson before my teacher leaves was cancelled because he's sick. We were supposed to tape the lesson so I had something to work with while he's gone. I understand stuff happens and I don't blame him at all I'm just really frustrated right now. It's like everything that could go wrong is going wrong. I have my music so I guess I'll be practicing as much as possible in the next few weeks. To top it off I over stressed my foot and have been banned from heels for a while.

*hides before anything else can happen*
  3. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that, Izzy. :( I hope your foot gets better soon.
  4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Would they have a video of the choreography (ie, when pro/coach/whomever) choreographed it at the studio? May not be as helpful as recording you and pro dance it, but could give you a good working base.
  5. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

my pro is going to try and film him doing my footwork which will help to a point. I'm just stressing out over this lack of practice thing. I guess it's one of those what doesnt kill you makes you stronger moments.
  6. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

thanks! :D it's just a minor strain so it should be fine. I can still walk and everything just can't wear heels for a bit.
  7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Oh, good! :)
    ;)..
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmmm, based on what I've seen of Nik on floor doing standard, maybe I should stop practicing too. :)
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

hey if it would help me, I'd do it in a second... *sigh*
  10. DancingShoes

DancingShoes New Member

Planning on Christmas themed showcase. Looking for "Christmas" song for American Tango. Looking at "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" or "Little Drummer Boy" by Mannheim Steamroller. Any suggestions would help. Yes it would.
  11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen? (heh, can't get the parody version "The Restroom Door said 'Gentlemen'" out of my head now).
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

www .cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7604949/a/Tango+Christmas.htm

:)
  13. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

now i'm sick too...

:doh::doh::doh:
  14. DancingShoes

DancingShoes New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Tinker Bell, my instructor instigated this search. So...I bring her my suggestion listed earlier and after the dust settled and I picked myself up off the boards, the showcase is now a VW thank you. And no worries, she has the music; "Don't Save It All For Christmas Day" by Celine Dion. BTW, today was Red's and my first VW lesson everrrr. Pray no harm comes to anyone in this event.
  15. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Bringing back an old thread....

Instructor brought up the idea of a Tango/Samba routine. Now that it's in my head I can't stop thinking about it and how fun it would be. But what piece of music is out there that would go well with these? Starting with Tango(ballroom) and ending with Samba--any ideas for me?
  16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

He/she came up with a showcase idea that specific without suggesting suitable music? And is it possible to get someone to mix two songs for for?
  17. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

No, no music suggested. It was just an idea tossed "out there" and the more I thought about it later, the more I liked it. I think if I pushed the issue, he would look for music.

I was thinking of mixing 2 songs together as well, but it would need to be a seamless integration (by that I mean the style of both pieces). I've been listening to both types of music but can't see to find 2 that would "fit" together. Actually splicing the things together would be the next step to tackle....
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I can see Tango/Paso, but samba? You're going to have to get away from "traditional" samba (not that that's a bad thing) and try to find one that's not just jarringly different from tango.
  19. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

DOI, you mean something like what Karina/Slavik did in their showdance?

I am always so mesmerized by her dress in this video...
  20. kckc

kckc Active Member

does it have to be tango/samba? There is a great song called "Swango" by Candye Kane that is tango/WCS and it is the actual song, not splices which don't go together.