Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Just wondering how many times you would use your showcase dance.

I ask because I have done a Samba, a Rumba and now working on Cha Cha. Now that I have progressed further in dancing (just over a year now), would like to go back to first two showcase routines and really polish them. But maybe that doesn't make sense? Just keep moving forward?

How long have all of you been dancing?
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

he has friends who are hosting one and he would like to be supportive of them, so he propositioned me...his first suggestion was that we do something that we are really bad at (always the respectable serious pro)...I suggested that in the course of 3 weeks we wouldn't get much better at it and I would hate that, and perhaps (GASP) we could do something enjoyable instead...he read that as code for "bolero" and --ding-- he won;)
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

excellent... path of least resistance... AND maximal pleasure.:cool: a definite fave approach...
  4. fascination

I will have been competing two years in mid-june...dancing 2 1/2- 3 depending upon how you look at it...have done 3 showcases if you count the one that is this weekend (only two w/pro)...and yes, I would love to re-visit the last one (a silver/gold waltz...) now that I have a clue...;)
  5. fascination

a rare one in our case ...but we are making progress...YOURS, OTOH sounds awesome
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

am having to dig deep to pull it off... but that's the point, to my mind... am spending a lot of money on prep for this showcase... it's not the event that matters to me so much as taking my technique & danceability to a new level, y'know?

later, showcases'll be just for fun, i'm sure. but right now they feel like tools for massive learning.
  7. fascination

its a good idea...not one one that I can bear but it was the plan on showcases past and it certainly did stretch me...I am just in a space where some enjoyable relaxing stuff needs to happen...if the dance budget doesn't run dry it will be 11 comps this year...uh....I need something frivolous
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i understand.

me, i'm trying to maximize a currently minimal budget with massive learning opportunities... so grateful that i have a pro that throws everything but the kitchen sink into it, and is so creative...
  9. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

But, I would think the kitchen sink would be the best part... :raisebro:
  10. LucyDiamond

I like to perform my showcase dances several times. We performed one showcase dance 5 times (2 of which were at the same studio at 2 different showcases) in a 6 month period. It was great to see and feel the progress/improvement I made in the dance. I'm the type that needs to know the choreography before I can even think about technique. Using showcase dances several times allows me to really learn the choreography and also add the technique. Also, I feel like I got my money's worth out of the time spent on the routine by using it several times.

I also like to resurrect previous routines for many of the same reasons I listed above. Also, I have my favorite routines and it's nice to be able to use them again.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

12. LucyDiamond

It just hit me that you said you're doing Samba rolls. How many dances are in your routine? Last I remember was the Viennese Waltz, Tango and Quickstep. ;) I LOVE routines that include several dances. They are fun to watch and fun to dance.
  13. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

I'm SO with you on that. I have a tendency towards learning the steps, then getting it to tempo, then technique and arms.
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... we've got all five standard dances in there, including the slow waltz. we've got some brief, rapid samba rolls to the right in one quickstep sequence, and a sequence of one very slow followed by two medium-speed samba rolls to the left later on... i think in our waltz sequence!
  15. LucyDiamond

I don't necessarily have to be up to tempo before getting into technique but I DEFINATELY have to know the feet!
  16. LucyDiamond

That sounds like GREAT FUN!!! Can't wait to see it.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i should just shut up already and stop building expectation... lol... there's a huge diff between cool choreography & someone who's doing it justice... but at least i have six weeks (2 sans pro) to work on rising to the occasion.

pray for me... lol
  18. LucyDiamond

I'm sure you'll do fine. If you can get the choreorgraphy memorized or you can fake it good, you'll be great! Remember, the audience doesn't pick up on things like judges do at competitions.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for your encouragement, luce. i'll work it out. it's just not a routine conducive to faking it, though.

anyway, i'm going for the maximum of what a newb can achieve in a short period of time, so i shall remain hopeful & positive. :D
  20. LucyDiamond

When I say fake it, I mean when you make a mistake don't let the audience see you die inside. Just keep going and most times they won't know the difference. If it helps, I've never performed a showcase routine without at least one mistake in it.