Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, i understand... i'll definitely be in a mindset to sell it, to overcome my shortcomings. :D

i think i need to do some mirror-work for the dramatic aspect... i'm not a natural actor and i've got a bit of acting to do with this one... where's genesius when you need him? lol...

do you have acting experience? i figure it's really just all about feeling the realness of the emotion in your body... just like dancing...
  2. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

No, I've never acted. My entertainer gene comes naturally. I feel like a completely different person when I hit the showcase dance floor. OTOH, I'm very bad at practicing smiling and acting. My pro has come to understand that I'm a changed person at showtime and doesn't have me practice smiling and such.
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Yep, if you're a DWTS fan....think Joey - not Ian (sorry Ian). *grin*
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oooo... drat, i dunno the diff between these guys! but i'm guessing the sentiment of what you want to convey. :D
  5. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

*grin* I'm sure you got it, but Joey's the performer and Ian, well I identify with Ian...he's the guy still thinking about the technique on the floor, trying to get it right.
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

finished the choreography... really like it... nice ending, which needed to not be anti-climactic after so much going on in the leadup... the waltz choreo changed & the spinning arabesque is now out... but am very pleased with the whole thing. i think pro is as well. now the real work sets in...
  7. LucyDiamond

Is sounds like you're in great shape sam with over a month until the showcase. Do you have a video of the choreography to watch while your pro is across the pond?
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll have his partner take that of us sunday night... i plan on rehearsing it like crazy while he's away... :D
  9. LucyDiamond

10. LucyDiamond

We continued practicing our cha cha routine last night. I need to build up my stamina. We practiced facing away from the mirror so I couldn't use it as a crutch. I think I've finally have it in my muscle memory and can now enjoy the dancing. I like that feeling. It helps so much not to face the mirror. ;)
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i understand about the mirror...pro got in habit over the years of looking at it whilst dancing... has had hard time breaking the habit. keeps me away from it for standard unless it's to demonstrate or practice something specific.

i tend to use it way more for latin than standard. i think it'll be helpful for figuring out the acting aspect of our showcase... that comes so naturally for my pro but i don't know what to make of it. i think i'll try letting the mirror be my audience and tell me whether i'm hitting it or not. :)
  12. LucyDiamond

For this cha showcase, in the beginning it was a detriment to me in the parts where we started a sequence on different feet. I was watching him in the mirror to follow him because I didn't know the steps yet. Naturally, I started on the same foot he did. That took awhile to break that habit. :wink:
  13. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I think mine has that habit too. Heck, he even looks at the reflection in the windows on the other side of the room.

As for me, I haven't learned to use the mirror yet when I'm dancing (except, like in your case, he wants to show me something). But by myself, somehow I haven't made friends with that other person staring back at me. :nope:
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i hear ya, mouse... it takes some adjustment when you're not used to it. :D
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

mirrors are evil
  16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

The mirrors at my instructor's home studio used to be pure evil. As in funhouse mirrors that if you were on one side of the room, you were a good 4 inches wider than you are on the other side of the room. The worst offender has since been replaced, but it's still hard to look up and in them. I don't mind watching my feet in them though, haha!
    Working on a cha cha for a performance next month. We're redoing our old routine to Sex Bomb that we did for a benefit last year, 2 weeks after starting with our new instructor. Cool thing is, we dance a bajillion times better now, and our instructor knows us so she can choreograph a little more to our strengths now. And we have more than 2 weeks to put it together, always good! So taking the good stuff from the old (and doing it much much better) and replacing the bad stuff with better. She won't take the little rhythmical hopskippitydo thing out though, argh! She knows I hate it, I tend to trip over myself (in fact, once caught my heel on a chair practicing it and actually tripped and fell!) I've NEVER been able to master it, and she insists on making me do it until I can. Heck, my husband, who's much more coordinated than me still has trouble with it! Argh, she's soooo mean to me!
  17. fascination

showcase is sunday...workshop tomorrow then a dance...then showcase sunday and a dance....and a dance tonight....but lesson cancelled today on account of a play date...so gee, I hope it goes alright...shrug...and that we practice sometime btwn now and then...shrug...I think I am settling down a bit...a bit
  18. Sandcastles

Sandcastles New Member

Busy lady!!! Wow! Can't wait to hear how the showcase goes!!

I had my weekly private lesson tonight. We warmed up with some salsa then hit the cha cha routine. Made some good progress with the choreography. Now I'm so psyched I wish I had somewhere to go tonight to dance!!
  19. fascination

uh...come to indiana...lol, showcase today...am feeling cautiously optimistic...it IS yummy
  20. LucyDiamond

Good luck fasc and have a great time!!! I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.