Showcase chat...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by samina, Apr 25, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

likewise, and me too

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

That's my minimum showcase prep time, as well. Two years ago pro and I decided at nearly the last minute to do a showcase that was about 3 weeks away. We did a WCS to a Delbert McClinton song. WCS is easy to pull together quickly...not sure I could have learned a showcase routine in so few hours with any other dance.:confused:

3. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Can't wait to hear all about it!

4. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

OK, after lurking here up to now, I am confident that talking about my upcoming showcase won't jinx it. The first weekend in August I'm doing a nightclub two step with my pro. We got the choreography a while back, but the showcase got moved from June to August, so it's almost ready now. It's got several tricks, including a drag followed by a semi-split. Sometimes I think I need my head examined for putting this AARP-membership-aged body through this, but I'm really getting excited about it.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds great, SD... what's the music?!

6. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

"When Did You Know?" by Jamie O'Neal, a country western song. Great song, and the choreography kicks butt...I just hope I can do it justice. I'll give it my best shot.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i bet you'll be great... just think of the time you have to play with it and find the self-expression i know you've been reaching for of late! i think that's wonderful that you're so ahead of the game...

8. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Yes, interpretation/expression is my main objective...I'm too old and stiff to stick my leg behind my head or do cartwheels, so I have to rely on other strengths. I've played piano all my life and I believe that playing an instrument or singing is a great background for a dancer...being able to feel the music, and hopefully express that feeling, is very important to me.

By the way, Samina, I'm looking forward to hearing about how your showcase goes...it sounds very unique!

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'm looking forward to seeing how it goes, too. ;)

hey, i've played piano since i was a kid, too...

hope you videotape your performance....:cool:

10. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Nice song. I started as a country dancer. Never do it any more. Except once a year at Big Apple Country Dance Festival and I missed it this year.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it was in the 60% range IMO but, hey, folks were complimentary and I consider it progress that I wasn't despondant or self medicating...truly..it was progress...I find showcases in front of people I know to be far worse than comps...and I expect to feel stress at a comp...anyhow, it was fine, not up to my anal retentive standards but I am determined to forgive myself...beyond that...lots of good dance partners there so I just propositioned every guy in the room..all good and I am mostly proud of my behavior, if not my dancing...meh...I'm pretty good regardless (yes, you are, yes, you are, yes, you are...repeating mantra til it sticks)

12. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

If you feel that it was 60%, it was probably closer to 85%...I know how hard we can be on ourselves about these things. I'm so glad you had a great time and got lots of good dances...sounds like a great evening!

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it was a good evening and I really am proud of myself for not making the same sort of psycho-drama out of it as in the past...pro was relieved as well...it felt like significant progress...like I am growing up...I held it together I looked confident and I didn't continue to bludgeon myself very much (and none at all from the bystander view)...so it was good...and sane people would call the errors minor...sane people would

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sounds to me like a success on a number of levels... i give you so much credit for doing it.. i know that i will feel FAR more critical eyes on me with my own showcase than i did for the comps... definitely. far more of a coming out and temperature-taking of what one dancer has been up to all these months showing up at a studio than comp pictures taken at a venue away from eyes that see you regularly.

good job, fasc.

15. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Congrats fasc! It sounds like you did very well. I agree with SlowDancer that you were probably closer to 85% than the 60%. I know I'm always more critical of myself then others are.

16. LucyDiamond

I feel just the opposite. To me, showcases are a totally different atmosphere than comps. In showcases, it seems the audience is looking for the good in the dances and in comps the judges are looking for mistakes. I'm much more relaxed doing showcases. But, I have much more experience doing showcases/recitals. I started 10 years ago being in tap recitals. That could contribute to my ease of doing showcases.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

definitely, i know my friends will be supportive. absolutely... but there's a placement of another sort that i know occurs in the minds of others in the community, pros & students alike... just a fact of life... it's all good, no worries... am just aware of being more visible in a large showcase like the one at that studio, y'know?

18. LucyDiamond

I hear ya'! I remember my first showcase at that studio. I've never been as NERVOUS as I was for that showcase. It didn't help that I was still struggling with the choreography.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think they sell out all the time for their showcases! they sure know how to put on a party there. :D

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

on choreo note... spent double lesson on showcase last night... everything was feeling better as we marked through everything off the music, and even on music that was slowed way way WAY down... then tried it full speed for sh**s and giggles... oh, my. oh my oh my oh my...