Signature favorites...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by elisedance, Oct 2, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Often (no offense meant) the sigs are much more interesting than the posts and we have some classics and some wonderful new ones too - but no place to read these and compare.

So, this thread is to post your favorite sigs but there is one rule you can only post someone else's sig. That way its more an appreciation society than a show off one. If you thought/found a new one then use it and let someone else pick it up. Please also, if you remember, put in quotes or italics or bold or 'dark orchid' or something so that we can see exactly where it starts and ends. Oh, there is another rule after all: the sig must have been used on DF. By all means be the first! Oh no, there is a third rule too: Please give credit to the person who used it . That does not have to be the one who created it.

Since its my idea I get to go first - and the one sig that affected me most on this forum is from Sagitta:

"When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different. --Bill Austin"

there in itals, bold, AND dark orchid....
  2. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

from elisedance :

Dance like everyone is watching (they will at the comp....)

(I like the sentiment better than the original "Dance like no one is watching", at least as it pertains to ballroom)
  3. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

another sentiment I like is from mamboqueen :

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf".... Swami Satchitananda
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:oops: aw, shucks, thanks
  5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I like Cornutts which I think has not changed for at least 3 years (n'est pas??):

...where time becomes a loop...
    ...where time becomes a loop...

maybe stuck in a time warp....
  6. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

My favorite is LudyDiamond's - Frustration = Progress in Incubation
    So true ... Lucy borrowed it from another DF'er, can't remember who at the moment.
  7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

8. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Fascination
  9. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Thanks, Zhena. It is a good one, isn't it?
  10. MrBroadway

MrBroadway New Member

Another good one - from Josh :

"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance." ~Japanese Proverb
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

larinda had a great one about gloriousness or despair that I loved
  12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hey, I've just changed that in the last few months! It's a bit of audio sillinesss which really isn't possible to duplicate in text. There's an Orbital album that starts out with a sampled bit of dialog from a Star Trek: TNG episode where one of the characters (Ryker? can't remember which), says, "There is the theory of the Mobius... a twist in the fabric of space, where time becomes a loop". They took the "time becomes a loop" part and played it back on two tracks, one slightly faster than the other. The two samples go out of phase and then sync up again, over a period of about a minute, then as soon as they are back in sync, it cuts abruptly to the first song.
  13. meow

meow New Member

I really like Larinda's - :D

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Henry David Thoreau
  14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hey, Meow, nice, I missed that one - but please highlighting the quote: thus

"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."

Its a thread feature (see first post)!
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

DWISE found this favorite (with the much later and tounge-in-cheek female parody):

The Four Stages of Dancing
    (according to Dick Crum):
    1. Beginning dancer: Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer: Knows everything, but is too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer: Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer: Dances everything, especially with beginners.

The four stages of dancing (female perspective):
    1. Beginning dancer: Knows nothing but only wants to dance with advanced dancers.
    2. Intermediate dancer: Knows a little bit but only wants to dance with advanced dancers.
    3. Hotshot dancer: Knows something but only wants to dance with advanced dancers.
    4. Advanced dancer: Knows a lot but only wants to dance with advanced dancers.
    (with apologies to Zhena and Dick Crum)
  16. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

From Indiana_Jay:

Heel, Toto, heel!

I smile every time I see it.
  17. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Some background on this:

Although Dick Crum knew ballroom dancing (I believe he was an instructor at Arthur Murray early in his career), his true interest was folk dancing, and he was a well-known and respected researcher/teacher. This quote makes most sense in the context of folk dancing -- specifically Balkan line dancing.

A line dancer is connected to a larger number of people than a partner dancer (the number and degree of connection vary depending on which variation of the seven basic ways of joining people in a line is used). There is an etiquette to joining a line dance, particularly for "breaking in" to an established line. Back in my younger days, there were a number of hotshot dancers who would avoid joining a line with anyone they didn't know and approve of, and who would discourage others form joining "their" lines.

"Intermediate" dancers are too good to dance with beginners because they know only enough to stumble through a lot of dances. In a line dance, you depend on the people on either side of you to know which direction they are going, and if neither of you is solid the dance is not much fun for anyone. However, an "advanced" dancer knows the dance well enough that they are not thrown off by anyone else, and can provide support to the beginning and intermediate dancers.

Thus Dick expressed the distinction between intermediate, hotshot and advanced dancers. The hotshot dancer may or may not be capable of dancing next to a beginner, but selfishly tries to avoid the situation. An advanced dancer is more generous. Dick disapproved of the hotshot attitude and encouraged people to be less exclusive.

I stopped using the quote in my signature because it seemed to take up a lot of space in my postings ... and my postings tend to be on the longer end of the spectrum ....
  18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thanks for that bit of history! I think it fits exceedingly well to ballroom too though - I think it resonates with everyone and, if we stop to admit it, maybe we can see a bit of ourselves in it too). :)

By the way Zhena, f you write a long post then surely you are allowed more sig space, not less. So please put it back or dig out another to entertain/challenge or shock us!
  19. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

I love this one by fascination:

there is nothing more attractive than a man with a number pinned to his tailsuit:wink:
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

absolutely true. I keep a number of such men around the house just in case of flash comps....