Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

In my years as a dancer, I've heard some pretty silly things come out of people's mouths. Last night, a woman came to my ballroom studio to take a couple lessons in preparation for her daughter's wedding. There were people practicing and taking lessons on the main floor--competitors and people who just like to dance. This woman looked at them and asked, "What's wrong with them? Why are they dancing like that?"

I was a bit flabbergasted and, frankly, a little insulted at her implication that there was something wrong with people who, yanno, want to learn to dance well. I replied, "They just want to learn to dance well. It's like any hobby you want to do well that you work at."

"Are they in a show?" she asked. I responded that they could be, or they could be getting ready for competition, or maybe they just want to learn to dance well.

"Surely they're not all going to weddings to dance like that!"

Oy. Really? Your'e old enough to have a daughter in her 20s, and you are completely unaware that ballroom dancing is something people do outside of weddings? Have you never seen even a commercial for Dancing with the Stars or SYTYCD?

A few years ago, I had another woman who came in for lessons, again for her daughter's wedding, and saw some latin dancers practicing. She was all upset that the girl was going to break a hip dancing like that!

What silly things have you heard non-dancers say?
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ex mother-in-law, when she heard I'd taken up ballroom dancing, advised the ex that he'd have to watch me carefully, since ballroom dancers like running around naked or near-naked. I have to say, in her defense, though, that she doesn't speak English and lives in a developing country, but she apparently knows more about ballroom dance than the wedding lady you talked to last night.
  3. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

In her defense, Latin ladies in their costumes are near-naked, so perhaps in her country, that could be the case.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

We need a "like" button for posts. :)
    DesireeDC and suburbaknght like this.
  5. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My mom, when I had just come back from Argentina where I took my first ever AT lessons (all 20 hours of them), couldn't understand when I continued my lessons here at home, because..."didn't you learn to dance in Argentina? Why do you need to take more lessons?"

I asked her (a lifelong musician, who double majored in flute and organ in college, and who taught piano for 30 years) if she would say her students knew everything to know about playing piano after 20 hours of lessons. She got the point very quickly.
    Big10 likes this.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good one, P. :-D
  8. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

Ah, the blue-collar world of the mechanic. My top 6 with responses:

6)
    "I'd rather drink beer and fish."

"... I don't recall asking if you wanted to.:confused:"

5)
    "It started with the kick-stepping didn't it?"

"That was one time and I'd like to see how you fare when you work eight hours a day alone!" (Damn you, Sinatra!)

4)
    "I wish I could do that."

"So take a lesson."

"No, I cant dance."

3)
    "Why don't you just meet women at a bar."

"Because you can't "meet" women at a bar, just their drunken representatives... Where did you meet your last three Ex-s again?"

2)
    "Where can I learn Tango? I think it will get me laid."

"... I know of a bar where they teach salsa.":lol:

1)
    "I bet you get lots of P****!"

"...Tons.":roll:
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many different activities you could replace "dance" with in that last sentence and this would still be true...(Except, weirdly, horseback riding, where almost everyone assumes it's easy and you just sit on the horse...)

LOL...well, at least he isn't insinuating that because you're male and dance you aren't INTERESTED in the above. My favorite Thing A Non-Dancer Said was at one of my old jobs, several people (mostly middle-aged moms, so this is not just a guy thing) asked me, "So you ballroom dance."

Me: "Yes."
    Them: "Really. Your teachers are men?"
    Me: "Yes."
    Them: "Are they...you know....................[kind of whisper] gay?"

Now, I restrained myself from saying "We're in a skating club, we practically cannot turn around without tripping over a gay man [truefacts; most of the male freestyle/pair coaches were gay and out, in one case a married couple], and you are whispering like it is A. a big deal and B. secret?" I just said "Not that I'm aware of."
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the one I get alot is "doesn't your husband mind you dancing with another man that way?" what am I supposed to say ?...um ... "no, neither my husband or the man I dance with could care less"
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's a big one, but people do learn and understand, my mom did and for me it was "You dance with random strange ladies that way!!?!".
  12. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

"But, the horse does all the work!"

Yes. Because, horses are notorious for doing crazy-dangerous jumps, complicated dressage, running full-tilt in the absence of predators, and doing exactly what you want by way of telepathy... This sound familiar?

This is one of the more surprising things, IMO. No one has really given me heck for it. It probably helps being the shop "gun guy" and having my well-established policy for dealing with BS: I don't get even, I get ahead.

Eh. I'm too old-fashioned and love-driven to care what they think, anyways.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum"
  13. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

- Did not your learn how to dance already? Just go and dance, how many more lessons do you need?

- Why do you need to take more lessons and make those instructors rich?

- You have too much time on your hands and no responsibilities, so you can go dancing.

- I do not think that my husband will allow me to be so intimate with such hot guy, so I can never dance

From my dear friend who has 3 cats:

- I have my cats and you have your dancing

- (Is it comparable? I guess; if you add bills for vet, food, play time, need to be at home vs. dancing lessons)

From another very jealous friend who I had a mistake to invite to see my dance showcases performances :

- Do you pay those men to dance with you? But it is almost like going to male prostitutes!

I am trying to object to this one - what about ski instructors, tennis instructors, and golf instructors?
    - But this is completely different- they are not touching you!
  14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh yes. This. In spades.

I used to get it from my parents. Then I came down hard on that. Even better, they have started going WCS dancing with me...now they understand what it's really like, and why that isn't an issue, and why I'm safer than they thought, and why I take lessons. :)
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

"How can you let a man push you around like that?"
  16. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Gosh, I get that CONSTANTLY. It's gotten to be kind of irritating, actually - especially when the same people continue to ask it OVER and OVER.
  17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

True. Or at least I do.
    Chr0n likes this.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have four cats (well, if you add the two black and white ones together they still don't weigh as much as the big fat fluffy one, so size-wise it's more like three), two dogs, and a horse. Yet I dance. If anything the cats are the easiest--if I go to a comp, I put out food and water and they have a litter box. The dogs are tricky time-wise, but besides vet bills once a year what is THAT expensive? (The horse is potentially another story, but I don't show, he gets trimmed but not shod, he only sees the vet for his shots so far *knock on wood*, I don't have a trainer, and I board so I don't have to manage daily care. Well, okay, I board because I only have half an acre and it's against township regs to keep a horse on it, so even though the neighbor on one side wouldn't report me, I don't do it.)

Yep, horses are totally like motorcycles, turn them on and they go. Requires no muscle, balance, or effort on my part. (I wish. I've got a retired racehorse who really grasps the 'retired' part and thinks it should apply to all aspects of his life.)

It's funny, I have two sports that people are convinced are so difficult and esoteric people are convinced there's some special knowledge you're born with or you can't do them (dance and skating, where I need TONS of help) and one where people think you just hop up and go (riding, where more than any other activity I do, people who've been at it for years will feel uneasy calling themselves 'intermediate', let alone 'advanced.')
  19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

CLASSIC! And so damningly accurate too! :rocker: :roll:

I have had occasional, shall we say, alcohol-fueled ne'er-do-wells ask things along similar lines, not to mention people only interested in getting laid, sad really.

Had one complete idiot voice their incredulousness at me because I went dancing to actually dance, NOT to pick up on girls. That person was thrown out of my life in pretty short order.

And of course, you STILL get the occasional neanderthals who think that a guy learning to dance with a partner is gay or unmanly. Got news for those folks, according to my girlfriend, when she travels to Wyoming every year for skiing and dancing, there are plenty of masculine cowboys (yes, the real type) who take to the dance floors there pretty regularly. And of course, in many Latin American cultures, it's a given that REAL MEN learn how to dance.
  20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Tangueras..i dont know if there's one for tangueros

tangueras photo

Attached Files:

DanceRhythm likes this.