Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. davedove

davedove Active Member

I stayed with pretty simple steps because neither samba nor salsa are my best dances, but both Kym and Emma followed those very well.

The last cruise I took, I also danced with one of the ship's dancers and the story was different. If we would have danced a choreographed routine, she probably would have danced circles around me, but she didn't know how to do lead and follow.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

heh...oh ...right ....a dance professional of numerous years and of very notable skill and she can't social dance ....seriously.....

but we digress...and I think it is best not to so let's stay on topic
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Certainly your dancing had little or nothing to do with the 'not knowing lead and follow'...
  4. fascination

but again, I think we digress.....
    stash likes this.
  5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Sorry dave, I do not understand you. Could she follow or could´t she?
  6. fascination

let's get back on the topic...instead
    stash likes this.
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I've been on a minor rampage lately about new students who are non-dancers trying to argue with me about dance. I teach a lot of wedding couples. Sometimes when I first talk to them, they tell me their song, and if I know it, I tell them what dance it will probably be (why, I don't know). Sometimes they'll come back with "I don't think that sounds very romantic. Maybe we should do waltz instead." (when it's clearly a night club two step beat). Or "Oh, we looked up rumba on youtube and that looks too hard for us. Maybe we should do something more basic." Oy. Do you really think I"m going to try to teach you what you saw on youtube? And the ones who are most concerned because they've never danced before end up being the better students.

Some others: "That technique doesn't work." Um, yes it does. "That's not how you dance cha cha." Um, yes it is. "That's not how they taught us to swing in my 8th grade PE class." OK. Well, you're going to do it the right way now!
    Lui, Hedwaite, stash and 3 others like this.
  8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

On wedding couples:
    We get "We youtubed 'waltz', and came up with this one." It's clearly NOT a waltz. How it got labeled that, I don't know- are there dancer-trolls on youtube? After explaining that it isn't a waltz and what does and doesn't make a waltz, I get frownyfaced. "What about this song?" So I wind up giving them freakin' Come Away With Me (or nothin' atall), and they want me to "come up with a flashy routine!" You know, because weddings are all about trolling the guests you hated back in high school... so I show them a competitive routine I've used with my partner before just to be a "jerk". "Uh... you got something more basic?" Okay, can we finally start with the box? "Okay, that's boring and easy." Except you're not doing it right. Finally, we cobble together a compromise of twinkle, throwaway, syncopated turn to develope after a few boxes, then an *gasp* open left box with an open "teabag" finish and a roll-out. They flap their fins, I gets Ulta money. Win.

Lately, besides my "barflies in the garden" gripe, I present to you Single Dancers versus Unpartnered Dancers- BFDifference:

When people (that's men OR women- and also the ones I just can't quite classify as 'human') say "Well... but... I was looking for a single dance partner. Are there ever any single people in your classes?" when they show up to all of our "Dance partners are not required, but strongly recommended as the teachers cannot guarantee a dance partner for every unpartnered dancer" printed right on the syllabus that nobody ever reads but we're required to present (not Syllabus, but syllabus, mind you).

I always say "Depends on what you mean by 'single'. If you're looking for someone unpartnered, we have a few who would be happy to dance with you. If you're looking for a 'single' partner though, I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. We just teach dancing here, sorry," innocent shrug, baring of teeth loosely disguised as half-hearted smile.

They usually lie and protest "Oh, just dancing!" yet if they meet someone in class, those two both disappear until the break-up. We might see them out socially somewhere trying to stumble through the box and forward changes they picked up during the two lessons they hung on for. They usually keep glancing hopefully up at us to see if we'll come help them at a social event, and I have to remind my partner not to be stink a stink-up, we're off the clock. I believe in baling our dancers out in a tight spot, but offering on-demand au gratis private lessons in the middle of a social dance floor? No. Who gets to wear the crown? I do. And it sparkles, I tell you.

vulgar language removed
    5 times
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    SwayWithMe, Jag75, dancelvr and 2 others like this.
  9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Actually there *was* a painfully inaccurate "Waltz" lesson on YouTube shared on DF a while back.
    Because if it's on the internet, it must be true, right?

Your tongue must be in bad shape from having to bite it so much :p
  10. Hedwaite

It's positively forked by now, I assure you :-D
  11. nikkitta

Now, on top of a forked tongue, your eyes are going to bleed.

12. Hedwaite

Oh, dear gods. It's like watching Dena Rizzo do ballroom. Meet you and raise you Zumba Tango:
  13. nikkitta

W. T. H. I don't know much about Zumba, but I doubt it should be done on BRICKS. Hello, knee and ankle injury.

anyway... back on topic. Let me think. Oh yeah, comment from my dad: "You're still taking dance lessons? Haven't you learned it yet?" :rolleyes:
    sbrnsmith likes this.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

My parents "when are you going to compete. Is it going to be soon?" You know my partner and I have practice together in a long time parents... We need at least 6weeks minimum to get back into shape with each other. Let alone remember our routine... Sooo yeah give us a few months.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

This is the exact same comment I got from a co-worker!
  16. Hedwaite

I always get "Why don't you compete? Aren't you good enough?" So I just shrug and say "Well, gawsh, naw, I ain't" anymore. Sometimes people just want to hear something other than "It's expensive/travel-time is awful/I'm white, not orange/there's a weight limit on the floor" etc. They don't necessarily want reasons so much as answers.

Back off-topic: The bricks were the best dancers in the whole video.

Back on topic again: Competition reminds me so much of having kids or getting married elsewhere. If you introduce someone you've been seeing awhile, the first question is "So... (insert conspiratorial just-us-girls meaningful twist of voice and chola eyebrows) when is s/he going to get serious with you... you know?" Same thing happens to dancers- "So... aren't you ever going to compete?" And if you buck the norm, you're automatically somehow inferior or weird.

People don't understand that people who compete aren't always automatically fantastic dancers any more than people with a boat, a house, a Caddy, a spa membership, and reservations to the met are "rich". Sometimes, it just means that you've been investing a LOT of money foolishly to come up lacking anyway. What further twists their mind is that some people don't compete to win or garner limelight at all. It's just something their teacher told them to do, or maybe they just like measuring their progress that way, or it's just because it's where they get to dress up and see all their friends for a weekend. It's just so much easier to give them what they want, so that they can play with the box while you go dancing.
  17. twnkltoz

Excuses. Ugh. I hate it when people make excuses.

"I can't focus. I can faintly hear country music playing in the other room and I don't like country music." Get over it.

"I've never danced before." Yeah, nor have 95% of my wedding couples. Listen to me and do what I say, and you will do something that resembles dancing.

"I couldn't get him/her to practice with me." I told you it's better to practice alone than not at all.

"We didn't have time to practice." I told you five minutes a day is better than nothing. You seriously couldn't find five minutes? Well, now we spend half of your $60 lesson re-learning what you forgot. Great investment.

"This is hard." Duh. Whoever told you learning to dance was easy lied to you.

"We don't look like we're dancing." You've been dancing for 20 minutes. For the first time in your life. Of course you don't look like dancers. I'm not going to sound like I'm speaking Mandarin, or playing piano, or surfing, 20 minutes into my first lesson, either.

Why do people not get that dancing is a skill that requires training of both your mind and body? This isn't The Matrix, where you download a module and you've got it. Oy!
  18. twnkltoz

And ugh...those videos. the so-called quickstep is the second such nonsense I've seen. I'm pretty sure the other one was in Texas somewhere, teaching something equally, but differently, wrong. As for Zumba...it's a fun workout, but come on. Don't say it's tango when it's just choreography completely unrelated to tango. At least when they do "cha cha" and "salsa" it's a similar step pattern/rhythm.
  19. Hedwaite

I'm glad that Zumba gets people up and moving, but nobody's taught these people what it really is, and how different it is from actual Latin-style dancing. So you get zumba cult-members who are convinced that because they bought the trademark-logo-swag and got certified to teach zumba, they're professional dancers. They take your salsa/latin/rhythm classes and very loudly tell their boyfriends "This is SO NOT how I learned it!" Zumba reminds me of Twilight- sets women back to stupid every time, and their argument is "But at least it gets people reading/up out of their seats!" So does stomach flu.
    musicbrain, dancelvr and cornutt like this.
  20. twnkltoz

LOL! I haven't run into that exact problem, but I did have a student who danced ballroom like Zumba--big steps, feet off the floor, difficulty working as a team/following her leader. With her it wasn't a willful/ignorance thing, it was a fighting the previous training her body had received thing.

I have no problem with Zumba as long as people understand it's not latin dancing. It's moves inspired by latin dancing.

...like Twilight is inspired by actual writing.
    musicbrain, Sania, DesireeDC and 3 others like this.